Timing belts ? | FerrariChat

Timing belts ?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MS250, Dec 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Anyone out there know why the rule of thumb was changed for belts from 7 yrs or 15m to 3-5 yrs now? Any difference between 12 and 8 cyl

2. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    No difference between types of engines (8 or 12) and I suppose the time issue is to cover everyones backside (asses if you prefer). Good in a way, since the car will always be in top shape and up-to-date. But no reason why not to go as long as 7 years/30K mi (in fact I think TR's have a 57K mi change interval, but don't quote me on that. Consult your owner's manual, or with other TR guys in this site [via either the "Tech Q&A" topic or "General Discussion"]).

3. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Hi Peter,
    Thanks for the heads up, I talked to Ferrari here in Ontario and the rules where changed apparently. The 360 now has to have them changed at 3 yrs or 30k....my service book for boht say 30k or 7yrs, though the service manager says the rules have changed at Italy and now require 5 yrs or 30k. My understanding after talking to others in the u.s is that there have been many belts that broke which caused this super expense engine rebuild. Apparently, this is why the change. This is why Im asking, I have already done the service on both in Oct 2000 and added about 6,000kms on the cars. The suggestion from the dealer is one more summer in 2004 only and then replace over next winter. The problem is 10,000 dollars for the TR and 5,000 for the 308gt/4. Bit hard to believe since I have followed the 6/7 yr rule. Any thoughts? Both cars run better than my bimmer.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I just received the (quarterly?) newletter from Ferrari & Maserati of Seattle. In it, they specify the new service intervals for timing belts, as follows:

3 years/30k miles for the 355,360, 575M,550, 456,TR,512TR, 512M

All others remain on the 5 year/30k miles interval

Funny, but the original manual for my 328 specifies a 52.5k miles service interval for the belts, with no time requirement....

Of course, I am sticking with the "conventional wisdom" of 5 years/30k.

Just seems with newer technology, the intervals should be getting longer, NOT shorter. Even a 1990 Honda Accord has a 6 year/90k miles timing belt service interval!

5. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Hi Dave,
    The reason for the change around I heard was alot of cars were being takien to the limit on the service side and engines got pooched. So they are now saying to do the change earlier to avoid the problem. If you look at the service for the 3 yr on the newer models, the price is half of my Testa, but then again in 6 yrs it needs to be done twice, costing you the same. I guess my concern is even though Ferrari has changed the interval to being more frequent, i am more concern about going to 6krpm to enjoy the cars. So the question I will ask again our manuel says 7ys.....should we change in yr 5 mandatory like they say or is the 6th yr safe for just going around the block....any suggestions?

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I've never had to worry about this time interval, as I drive sufficiently to do it based on miles. :)

But I would think that 6 or 7 years is not a big deal. But I certainly would NOT go beyond 7 years. Would be worth having the belts inspected at the 5 year interval, while the fluids are being changed...just to be cautious of any possible, unforseen damage to the belts from foreign debris.

You should also consult with your mechanic on his recommendations.

7. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

Good call !!
    Thanks.

8. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I think this was your first post....How many times have you done the belts since you posted this Rick? :D

9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    First a bump on a 2004 thread and now the bump on a 2003 one. Anyone have some 2000-2002 news they care to dredge up :)

10. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    A few ...

I will go first , I had a full head of hair back then

11. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Nice.

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You had hair?

13. isaydingdong

isaydingdong Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    Timing belts are a thing of the past but no one will dispose of a Ferrari due to a belt service. My 360 will need timing belts for the rest of my ownership.

14. bigcheech

bigcheech Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Look over your shoulder...
    Full Name:
    the big one
    I'm sure there are still a lot of Ferrari owners who will dump the car after 4 to 5 years when they find out the cost of servicing is more than a tune up on their old fiat or alfa. They probably jump into a Porsche!