Gold Medal, Mike Hawthorn, 1954 Syracuse GP | FerrariChat

Gold Medal, Mike Hawthorn, 1954 Syracuse GP

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by FerrariStuff.com, Nov 6, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    Another one that I acquired recently:

1954 Gold Medal, Syracuse Grand Prix, awarded to Mike Hawthorn.

We are pleased to be able to offer for sale this absolutely unique piece of motoring history:

This medal was given to Mike Hawthorn for competing in the 1954 Syracuse Grand Prix.

Mike drove a Ferrari 625 but during the race he went off the track, rammed a wall and his car and his clothing caught fire.

Jose Froilan Gonzales pulled over to help his team mate but stopped his Ferrari 553 Squalo too close to Mike's burning 625 and both cars burnt down.

This medal went straight from Mike's estate, in 1959, to an important collector from whom we acquired it recently.

A truly unique opportunity to acquire a piece of memorabilia from Hawthorn's personal possession.

Can be viewed, along with close to 1,200 other collectable Ferrari items, at www.************.com

Best regards,
    Jack

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Very interesting item, Jack! Thanks for sharing. I don't think I had heard of this incident before, so I looked it up in the old "Road & Track".

"....Marimon in a Maserati drove too close to the right side of the track and sent up a shower of hay. Blinded by the flying chaff, the second place car, a Ferrari with Hawthorn driving, crashed against the safety wall and the car caught fire. Gonzales, about seven feet behind Hawthorn, piled into the Englishman's car, careened and went into the wall. Both cars were destroyed by the flames and Hawthorn was taken to the hospital...."

3. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    Hi Jeff,

great!

That is indeed a somewhat different reading than I had of the accident / incident.

I collected information on the race from:

http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/archive/f1/nc/1954/1954.html#syr

and another website (will try to find the URL again).

However, the R&T report sounds more convincing to me.

Thanks!

Best regards,
    Jack