Interesting Ebay car | FerrariChat

Interesting Ebay car

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by racedecknc, Jan 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
  2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Wow, Frank thinks he going to get 25 to 28k for a salvage title 308. And you never know, someone just might pay that.

3. Bandit

Bandit Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2003
    Central MS
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    Actually, I will be very interested to see the responses in this thread. I saw this auction earlier and e-mailed him for some more info. I am fairly close to New Orleans, and a drive to check the car out would be very doable in a day.

The salvage title doesn't scare me too much provided the damage was fixed correctly. A prior post indicated a fairly hard hit in the left rear, but Franks posts haven't indicated any lingering problems from that accident.

I'm looking for a good driver. If I can get a QV with 45K miles in good mechanical shape for around $25K, I don't think that is too bad of a price. That puts a 5K to 10K discount for the salvage title if the car is in otherwise good shape. Hopefully, some of you more experienced fellows can tell me what a reasonable price is for this car.

Maybe some of you know the car personally and can fill me in on its history. I know the 30K was performed by Fortune Motors in mid-2001. It also had a once-over by Lindsey Automotive in late 2002 to fix some smaller items.

If any of you know anything about this car, please let me know. You can e-mail me direct at [email protected].

Thanks

4. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I don't mean to knock this car,
    but you can get a 308 for that much in good shape,
    with a clean title.
    But if a salvage title don't bother you... go for it.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    This COULD be a decent buy....but I would highly recommend you have an expert body shop put this car up on a lift and inspect carefully. A normal PPI by a mechanic may not catch stuff that a professional body shop would. With the risk involved, the extra $150 or so to have this done is worth it.

6. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    It is a QV, $25k seems fine if it has been repaired right...get it checked out though!

7. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I already bookmarked this auction although I'm not planning on bidding. Who knows what the car really is until it's driven and a PPI is done. Could be anything.

But...a QV 308 either an 84 or 85 with no major issues (there always seems to be minor ones huh) for $25k is a good deal. You can get a clean title QV for that but it WILL have issues. If I'm wrong then I say that's the exception. Really good 308 QV'a ARE worth $30k +. Period. That means records, tools, recent belts, everything works, good compression, NO LEAKS, good to great paint, windows at good speed (if yours are slow they CAN be fixed), no rust, no surprises...show me a QV less than $30k like this!! The salvage title will make resale harder, for sure. This is an issue if you want to flip it, but even that can be delt with if you know how to do it.

If this is an honest car I say $25k is a good deal.

Ken

8. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The buy it now is 25K - 28K is going to be tough, lol.

9. Tifosi1

Tifosi1 Formula 3

Feb 17, 2002
    Pearl River, LA
    Full Name:
    Kelly J. Vince
    Unlike the guys on the west coast who sold Frank the car and delivered it with a Salvage Title, Frank has been very Honest about this car. That's right car rolls off the truck and the driver hands Frank a Salvage Title and the car is only running on one bank of cylinders. Frank could have done the same thing. But no, he did not.

We even disussed those options, maybe trying to get over $30,000.00 for the car and sending it back to the west coast from which it came.

As far as the car it self, I've worked on this car more times than I can remeber. I've not worked on it fixing problems, but more to the extent of restoring this car. YES, IT HAD A TIMING BELT CHANGE A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO. The car has been gone over by more than one person including Lindsey who replaced all the bushings and double checked the timing belt job. And no the timng belt job was not done by Fortune Motors, it was done by Dave Goldman a local master mechanic.

So, in my humble opinion, nice starter car with not mouch more to do in the restoration department. I think it is due for a timing belt job in the next 5 to 10,000 miles.Car looks great and runs like a bull.

So, this is my opinion and my reputation on the line with the above comments.

In 100 years, 308's we will all have salvage titles.

Kelly Vince
    Communications Driector Ferrari Club of Louisianna
    Concorso Director of the Ferrari French Quarter Classic.

10. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The car was sold minus the Tubi which has less than 700 miles on it and is on its way to it's new home