how many get a ppi when buying from a dealer? | FerrariChat

how many get a ppi when buying from a dealer?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bpu699, May 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I'm still looking around for the testarossa of my dreams, sigh...

Anyway, how many of you get a ppi when you buy from a dealer? Living near chicago, there are really only 1-2 ferrari dealers/shops around. Its not like I can take it down the block to get a second opinion. Do ferrari dealers just let you take a car to their nearest competitor for a "look see." Seems that goes against human nature.

Can you get a ppi from the dealers (sounds silly, I know), and then hold them to it if something subsequently is found to be broken that they didn't disclose?

Thoughts?

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Everything depends on the shop. But caution says PPI is a good thing.

3. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    i'd say it depends on the dealer and their reputation and how well they stand behind their cars, and the car. On my last purchase I was satisfied with the dealer inspection, which included a compression test and all other necessary items for the car to qualify for the Ferrari extended powertrain warranty. This car had been serviced by the dealer, I met the mechanic, the tests were performed as part of the deal. All of the car's paperwork was in order, I was satisfied and the car has been running great! So I guess it's a case by case basis.

You can always get a PPI if that doesn't satisfy you, but if the dealer has a good reputation and they know the car and have serviced it and are willing to qualify it for extended warranties: I wouldn't worry too much.

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    if they're putting it under one of the newfangled warranties, their pre-warranty inspection is extensive, as i understand it. the requirements for the pre-owned warranty are, in my opinion, quite excessive. so i'd guess that sort of inspection would be very adequate - and FNA is backing it up with a warranty, so you're cool.

otherwise, i think a PPI should be de rigeur. the only possible exception to this rule would be if you are buying from a LOCAL dealer and you trust that they'll stand behind it. that's a fair amount of trust though. your sales guy could get booted the next day; the service manager could quit in a huff with the GM; you never know. get it in writing. if you can't, assume it's worth the paper it's not printed on. so, get a PPI :).

a dealer shouldn't balk at you doing a PPI somewhere else nearby.

doody.

5. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    i didnt get one when I bought mine. it was used but it came with a two year warrenty

john

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I had a PPI done by a local Ferrari guy (who works on my 365) when I bought the 456.

The PPI came out clean, but after a month or so the car had some issues. I am glad to say that the dealer (Ron Tonkin) has done a great job of taking care of me, and I am very happy with them and the car.

7. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Have the selling dealer perform a pre-warranty inspection regardless of whether you actually purchase the warranty or not. As Doody mentioned this inspection is quite extensive and should tell it all.

8. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    No ppi when I purchased mine 18 mos. ago and no regrets. I intend to get my next fcar from the same dealer (Steve Harris Imports) and I won't bother about a ppi. Cars they sell have had recent major.

Ron

9. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    I did not get a PPI when I bought my car from a Dealer. They did my 30K and when the clutch was inspected they replaced it at no charge.

The nominal amount I paid over a private party sale, made up ten fold in the 30K service, clutch, and new tires that I got from the Dealer.

Since they do not operate on micro-thin profit margins, there is a lot more wiggle room if things go sideways. Their deeper pockets and greater resources, will often yeild better resolution in case something goes sideways.

The other thing is that they keep the cream puffs to sell and auction the ones that they do not want to deal with (or carry any additional liabilty) with their reputation at stake.

Just my dollar and 2 cents.

10. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    If you are willing to pay for a Ferrari at market value, a PPI is a must. A good independent shop should be up to the task.

If you are buying a Ferrari significantly under market (i.e. motivated seller), a PPI isn't realistic. Case in point: When I purchased my 348, I bought it significantly below market from a fellow that needed to sell it quickly to raise cash. I bought it sight-unseen over the phone, pending my final inspection of the car within 12 hours (the car was about 1000 miles away). The ol' "I'm going to schedule a PPI next week" line wouldn't have worked in my situation, as he would have sold the car a dozen times before I could get it in for a PPI. That said, I know a decent amount about cars and feel confident doing my own PPI and feel comfortable.

Essentially, my own PPI consists of:
    - finding any paintwork/collision repair
    - finding any potential rust
    - ascertaining any heavy mechanical problems (not hard to do)
    - close look at records and ownership changes to detect odometer problems
    - checking all stickers around the car to make sure VIN's match up.

11. Heath

Heath Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    What is the cost for the Two Year Ferrari Extended Warranty?
    How far Back will they go (328). Must it be bought at the time of Purchase? Are their other aftermarket Warranties ava. for older Ferraries?
    Thank
    Heath

12. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    i bought my 348 from a mercedes dealership in 97, they put a gmac warranty on it, I dont know if they still do warranties or not on ferraris. cause they lost money on mine.

john

13. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    After my experience with my second Ferrari purchase from a Ferrari dealer I will never again buy from a Ferrari or any other dealer without a ppi from a mechanic of my choice. I paid top dollar for a low miles car and the car wasn't properly serviced and in the end I paid up the buttt to get everything right. My first Ferrari buy was perfect but it was a almost new car, the second was a '88 testarossa with 7,000 miles that I purchased in '99, the car is great now. Also I know some stories that will have future Ferrari buyers purchasing brand new Ferraris or cars that they know only. You can't trust anyone in the car dealer world.

14. yasir

yasir Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    So true,you really can't,regardless of how professional,personal,friendly or accomadating the dealer is.
    Later, Yasir ( learnt my lesson hard way )

15. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Can't trust buyers either!

They lie, they re-negotiate after they agree, they want more and more from you after the deal is done, they say they pay for shipping yet not send their UPS number, then when in good faith you send them the items they did not want to drive home, they don't even send you a check.

Buyers are liars! (old real estate slogan)

16. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    As far as the original question

If it is a FNA dealer have the PPI done at their own shop. Make sure you get a written report and pay by credit card.
    When your car arrives send it straight to your mechanic for another PPI and if there are discrepencies you have recourse against the FNA dealer. They will pay the repair for those items they did not pick up on in theri PPI or you can ask for a full refund of your money and the money for your PPI.

Had that happen to a freind and the FNA dealer did pay up in full (total of about $ 10,000), even gave him 50% off on a 30K service since they had the engine out anyway and he knew he needed the 30K anyhow.

17. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yeah, buyers are scum :)

On the original topic, and since Martin has weighed in, I purchased from him without a PPI. However I have documents for the major service plus Martin's impeccable reputation and that (all BS aside) plus knowing the car had again been gone through by Martin's guy was good enough for me. I did go from LA to Miami to see the car though, at Martin's request, so he could point out certain things.

Had I bought from a dealer with a warranty either on the car or available I wouldn't have the PPI prior to purchase. However, I do like to take my cars to whomever it is I will be using to look after them shortly after purchase to establish a baseline for services going forward. Other stuff always breaks first but at least I have a plan for routine maintenance.

Cheers
    Kevin