$119K '99 Modena, what's wrong? | FerrariChat

$119K '99 Modena, what's wrong?

Discussion in '360/430' started by warrenn, Jun 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    Higher miles, Interior color and did it have 15K service? I think it's about right for the market. But what do I know I'm a PIMP!

PD

2. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Color combo could be one of the reasons! I saw that same color combo last week and can I only tell you the interior color is just tasteless. It just doesn't go with the exterior, it is some kind of funky dark but bright blue.

3. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Warren,
    Which car is for sale the blue one or the gray one? The lighting is'nt great, but I think I'm seeing two cars? Miles are a little high for most 360s. With 12K on it the engine out will need to be done in <1 year. Engine out is around $6.
    Jim

4. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    you should also keep in mind that this 360 has absolutley no options.

5. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    The worry is does this car have a story, given the price? The interior is not just navy. I have navy in mine, and it is very, very dark. It is possible that the upper dash is navy, but the steering wheel, carpets, door panels, etc. are a lighter blue. Other than the tubi, there are no options, as mentioned. Plus, it is a '99--have the assorted required updates been done?

Another good question to ask (but I think I know the answer) is to find out if the car is eligible for the assorted available Ferrari extended warranties. I think the answer is no, as I believe the car has to be resold by an authorized Ferrari dealer.

I think the car is being punished for the interior color and lack of options, and the impending service. Still, ignoring the color, I would think an asking price on this car would be more around 125-130K. That makes me wonder about a clean title, etc.

6. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I doubt Bentley Gold Coast would sell cars that don't have clean titles. There new dealership in Chicago is beautiful. They invested a lot money into that location. They would be foolish to sell cars that have bad titles. I would definitely ask BGC for service records on the car. If they say that they didn't service it find out where it was serviced. Most Ferrari's seem to have well documented histories. Maybe this one does not and that is another reason for the lower price. As for the interior color, I like the fact that it is so different. It definitely hurts the value of the car though. If you are spending $119K on a car I am guessing that you could spend $10-20K more to get a 99 360 in the color & condition you want.

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Bright blue and white interior would send me to the funny farm. Looks like a carnival ride.

Once again proving that money is no substitute for taste.......................[size=+2]BLING![/SIZE].

8. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Isn't this the same dealership as "Luxury Motors?." I thought folks around here said they sold "suspect cars." The 911 they sold me had accident damage front AND rear, but they did take it back...food for thought.

9. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    "With 12K on it the engine out will need to be done in <1 year. Engine out is around $6."

Engine out for what? The 360 timing belt can be changed in situ for a lot less than $6K.

10. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Just had my timing belts and accessory blets done at the dealer for less than $1500 ($1494.15). Besides, 360M engine does not have to be pulled out for maintenance like its predessors!
    I don't think it is the miles, 12K for a 5 year old car, that's less than 3K/year. I am not sure about the options, but that interior is just too much for my taste and takes away from the car. The one I saw was bright blue with gray, this one looks the same.

11. mustgofaster

mustgofaster Karting

Mar 27, 2004
    West Lakeland, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I purchased my 04 360 Spider from these guys and the transaction went ok. The car had 70 miles on it and I think they were the third owner of the car. As far as 'dealer' support you won't get it here. You are buying the car, but minimal car 'know-how' This was just my experience with them and it may be attributed to my salesperson.
    just my .02

12. PAB

PAB Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Bentley Gold Coast is Luxury Motors...Be careful, they have some nice cars but others that are suspect. Remember, they buy alot of their cars "sight unseen"...very aggressive salesman that do not no anything about the cars they are selling...became very big because of the internet.

13. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Could be a Euro. The sub-100K Maranello they have listed was a Euro.

14. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    That particular 360 is a US car. If you look at some of the pictures you can tell as euro cars headlight washers in the front bumper. I would assume they probably got the car for a great price and are passing it down. If it passes a PPI you should be fine.

15. TGarretson

TGarretson Rookie

Mar 28, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Tom Garretson
    I walked by that car when it was parked outside of the dealership this weekend. The windows were tinted so I didn't realize the interior was that bright, it looked dark blue, but because of the tint it looked pretty good with the exterior color. So all I can add is that aesthetically, it looked fine.

16. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Drives me fricken' crazy to read a comment like that on a car that has been driven about 2500 mi/year. If there is one aspect to Ferrari ownership that will drive me away from the marque this is it. I know, I know, just drive it and don't worry about depreciation, but I find it hard to live with the fact if I put a measly 5k a year on my 360 it'll take a big hit on resale as a "high miles" car. To those who value garage queens, we have NOTHING in common!

Sorry for the rant.

Gary

17. ART360

ART360 Guest

12k isn't a lot of miles. The price is about right for a 99 without any options. Color makes it hard to sell. Will be hard to re-sell also. The belt change isn't a big deal in the 360, might even pay for price difference over a 355???? hehehe

Art

18. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    "Drives me fricken' crazy to read a comment like that on a car that has been driven about 2500 mi/year. If there is one aspect to Ferrari ownership that will drive me away from the marque this is it. I know, I know, just drive it and don't worry about depreciation, but I find it hard to live with the fact if I put a measly 5k a year on my 360 it'll take a big hit on resale as a "high miles" car. To those who value garage queens, we have NOTHING in common!"

I agree completely!

I too am disgusted by the garage queen syndrome which is so rampant among Ferrari owners.

19. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I was in the market for a U.S.A. '99 360 red on black or tan leather six speed manual not the F1 option, the Ferrari dealer that services my car told me that they could find me a nice 360 with about 12,000 to 15,000 miles with all services up to date for $120,000 to $125,000. But I have bought from them before and serviced my cars there so maybe that explains their "generosity", by the way Ferraris are my daily drivers so I visit them more often than some. I don't know that car but I know I can buy one for that much any day.

20. Coyote

Coyote Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Don't apologise, I agree with you 100%. I just turned 8000km on my 360 as it nears its 1st birthday and I hadn't driven it from mid-September last year to mid-April this spring (away on business & winter storage). So I'm going to have "a lot" of miles on it when I go to sell it in 2 years, probably around 20,000 miles. It will be a one owner car with a just broken in V-8 engine, used regularily, meticulously cared for and I'm going to get hosed on the resale value because of the "high miles".

It's funny, but I have a hard time getting sympathy from all my coworkers that don't have Modenas (that would be all of them);)

21. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I would expect better pictures of a +$100K car. As was posted the car looks like two different color combos.