Publishing... | FerrariChat

Publishing...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 134282, Jun 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Ok, this is a two-part question... Fumbled upon some material of mine recently and it brought me to the realization that i might have enough to make a book out of all of it... What do i do...? i'm not really focused on money, rather i'd just like to be able to say i put out a book... How do i do this...? Approach a publisher with my idea...?

Secondly, how popular are audio books...? Is it easier or harder to publish an audio book...? How well do those sorts of things go over...? Any opinions or advice on these matters would be greatly appreciated. Thank you... :)

2. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Sorry, if this is a bad question. But I am new to this forum. I was wondering what sort of material were you refering to? Are these materials stories,fiction, non-fiction, poetry?

3. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    I can't really answer your publishing questions, but in terms of audio books, I go through quite a number of them. I know that a lot of people that travel a lot listen to them in the car. They seem to polarize people though... you either love em or hate em.

4. JMJ575M

JMJ575M Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2002
    Chain of Lakes Regio
    Full Name:
    J Michael Jordan

There are any number of books on how to get material published. I'd check out you local Borders or other book store.

JMJ

5. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Let's talk this weekend.

6. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Do a little market research on publishers who define the field in your subject matter area. Also look at the credits of those books to see what agents are being credited.
    While its possible to approach a publisher cold, its better to go thru someone in the industry who has credibility as a conduit for publishable material; a good agent is well worth his or her fee.
    There are any number of small publishers who would take on a new author, but the contracts don't provide for advances, and the rights get tied up whether or not the publisher really sells anything. Some of these small houses are notorious for not paying authors, either.
    I'll be happy to guide you, or refer you to a couple agents i know, but it unlikely they do anything in the automotive field, if that's what you have in mind. Most authors usually have a lawyer look over their agency agreement and comment on any proposed publishing agreement that is on the table. That's where i usually get involved in these things, unless its a dispute, after the fact, over the scope of the granted or reserved rights. Then i get really involved...

7. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I've published 10 books and 160 articles so I feel qualified to address your question. There are supposedly about 41,000 new titles published each year, with more than 95% not paying the cost of the first printing. There are entire industries built upon that premise -- self-publishers, printers, e-publishers. I suggest that you get a copy of a recent "Writer's Market" (you want a book that actually lists publishers by name, phone, address, etc). While it won't get your book published, it will help a great deal.

Most new (unpublished) authors have trouble getting a deal on their first book. I suggest that, before you begin writing the book, decide who the audience is to purchase and read your book as well as how you are going to market to that audience. Absent that planning, most books will not sell.

I have helped about 10 people who just wanted to publish their own book. Nine had fun with it. One, probably the least likely (a high school dropout without her GED), now runs a business that grosses over $50,000 a month based mainly on her first writing project.

we can talk sometime if you like.

Dr C

8. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Carbie

Just emailed something you might find interesting, check your inbox.

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Carbie,

(Posted on another forum) I heard you were already pube-lished... or was it pubeLESS?

Please DON'T respond!

DL

10. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Imperial, no such thing as a bad question, i'm glad you asked... It's a mix of mostly poetry but would be littered with some fiction and non-fiction short stories.

Thanks, Mike; any idea how popular 'poetry on tape' might be...?

Thanks, J... i want to try avoiding reading an entire book on this, if i have to... i don't even have my material straightened out, but i was under the impression that one usually needs to approach a publisher BEFORE they begin work on a book, this way they have some idea of whether it'd make any sense to put the book together or not...

Bill, awesome; i'll have my phone on unless you have a specific time you'd like me to call... Thanks...

Bill, there will actually be very little automotive-related stuff... A few poems, one or two short stories, but nothing that would denote any kind of underlying automotive theme... The material's range is rather broad; love, politics, religion, cars, etc. Speaking to an agent and outlining what i have wouldn't be a bad idea; this way, s/he can let me know if it's something they would be interested in publishing or if it's just a pipe dream... i'm really not all that interested in the money aspect; i highly doubt i'd see any noticeable residuals from a bunch of poems and short stories, but it's just one of those things i'd like to do; get published and have a copy of the book in my library...

Dr. C., that sounds like good advice, thank you; i'm not really sure who my audience would be... Beatniks, maybe... Folks who hang around poetry cafes and like to watch Def Poetry, i guess... The few short stories are divided; some fiction, some not, all pretty disturbing... The book would of course be under a pen name; i'm not looking for fame and recognition, i just want all this stuff in print... i don't ever wanna meet anyone who would actually read it... :)

Mark, i got your email and read the article; very good stuff, it just might come in handy in this situation... Thank you.

Dave... Sigh...

Thanks, everyone... i appreciate the comments and advice...