'70s & '80s - What were they like? | FerrariChat

'70s & '80s - What were they like?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JeffB, Jun 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    Just out of curiousity, were the '70s and '80s (even the early & mid '90s) anything like they are now, in terms of waiting lists, cars going for over MSRP, etc...? I'd be very interested to know what the demand was like the first year the Testerossa & other Ferraris came out, even the 348 & 355.

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    80s:
    Yes it was similar at times. With the intro of new cars there was waiting list, blah blah. The 80s in general were a crazy time until it went pop in 89.

In the mid 90s, everything was going really bad though, and you could pic up most anything of the floor. 355 saved the company.

3. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    As a Sr. in HS in '77, I saw a yellow 308 at the Ferrari dealer in Reno for $72K on the showroom floor. I just had to wait 16 years until they depreciated enough to buy one!

4. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

5. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    When you look back the prices seem absurdly cheap (except for the speculator's bubble after the stock market crashed). But the biggest difference, as far as i am concerned, is the huge difference in number of cars on the road. In the early seventies, it was possible to speed much more safely, the roads were far more open; today the roads are so congested, at least in the NorthEast, that it makes driving a chore, rather than a pleasure.

6. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    There something about your avatar that reminds me of something... When the Barchetta first came out, one of the mags (I believe R&T) did a review on a black one. If I recall correctly, it was owned by a guy in NY. Your avatar reminds me of the pics in that review. I don't know why, it just does. Then when I read your profile and saw that you are a former Barchetta owner, I had to ask... Was that your Barchetta featured in that article? Of course if it was and for some reason, you don't want to say, I understand.

7. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    I remember in the mid 80's TR's were rolling off the lot for $123K. Everybody wanted a TR.

328's were going for around $80K

Mondial's for about $75K

8. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    in 1987 over here in the uk i put £5000 aprox $9000 deposit down on a 328 with a signed order at on day of delivery aprox 1991 i would pay full list price then the car market went bad lucky for me it specified a 328gts on the order form in 1989 ferrari dealer contacted me and says they wanted my build spec i said i didnt want a 348 there reply was you paid deposit and signed an order form i got the order form out and said yes but it states a 328gts can you supply one ther reply was it has been supercedded by the 348 my reply was i want a 328 or my money back which i got phew what a lucky escape as when i ordered they were doing over list bot in 1991 they couldnt sell them

9. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Twas me. My 15 minutes. Car was also on the cover of Forza that year. Thanks for asking.

10. Tpup

Tpup Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Roswell, GA
    Full Name:
    Roy
    In the late 70's and early 80's you could buy the cars off the showroom floor. I test drove a car in the late 70's; I could have driven any of the cars the dealer had in stock. I purchased a new car (308) from the dealership in 1980 for 15% off list... There was no wait until the mid to late 80s...

Roy

11. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I remember in the early 80's you could buy a 330 for about $13k. That was about the price of a new Honda Prelude. I also recall seeing 206 and 246 Dino's for below $20k.

12. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I shouldn't answer a thread started by a Porsche-driving MF like JeffB!

When Testarossas were in their heyday, they were selling at up to $300,000.

13. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    Wow! What a guess! I vividly remember the pictures from that article. Congrats on previously owning such a beauty and getting to show it off to the world in that article. I would have jumped on that opportunity.

14. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    Just bcz you were in the 575 and I was in the 996TT last week and you got smoked, that doesn't mean you have to publicly whine about it. Had a good driver been behind the wheel I would have probably gotten beat... :)

15. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I got 2 words for you, and they aren't "Happy Birthday"!

16. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    My understanding is that it really depends on the dealership, most factory authorized dealerships were charging MSRP only and nothing more. The catch is that all the cars that are coming off the production line are already spoken for, hence the infamous "Waiting list". It is not unlike buying any of the high end cars these days, as you get on the waiting list that is based on "first come, first serve" rule. If someone should drop off the list, than everyone moves up accordingly. Needless to say, with the annual production being so low (when compared to other car manufactures, with the exceptions of a few others, ie. Lambo, Lotus, RR or Bently etc.), the list can be as long as 3 years, which was how long I had to wait in my particular case. And this is where everything turns interesting, if you do not want to or do not wish to wait, you can find a "used" car that will cost you a lot more money in the private sector.

You see, the factory and the honest dealerships charges the MSRP, it is the greed and the vanity of the "investors" that drove the market up. It is usually the ones that jumps on the bandwagen first that gets taken for a ride, in more ways than one that is. In that aspect, Ferrari dealerships truely does not really make their profits through new car sales, it is through service and used cars where the majority of their profits comes from. I remember that people were paying $30,000 for a Miata when it first came out, and $200,000 for a Corvette ZR1 or a Acura NSX at one point. The dealer markup on a NSX I saw was $7,000 during its introduction year!! And more recently, the so called "limited edition" Honda S2000 were also thousands over the MSRP initally until Honda decided to not make it so limited all of the sudden. And the same thing is happening with the BMWs, Lancer EVO VIIIs or the WRX STIs, it is usually the ones that just couldn't wait that ended up looking like a fool.

17. jbjavaheri

jbjavaheri Karting

Mar 4, 2004
    West L.A.
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Gotta agree with you there. The first E46 M3 coupe, which was bone stock, sold for $30K over sticker at Beverly Hills BMW and the first Z8 sold for $500,000 (from what I heard). But I think the Z8 is a special case given the car but still. Oh, and for about a year, E39 M5's were selling for $30K above sticker all over West L.A.

But you can't blame the dealerships for selling these cars to such people. They would be stupid not to. Classic supply and demand case. But not all U.S. dealerships can enjoy such circumstances.