Isle of Man Weekend 2004 | FerrariChat

Isle of Man Weekend 2004

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by F308 MAN, Apr 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which w-end for Isle Of Man Visit?

1. 14/15 Aug

2. 21/22 Aug

3. 11/12 Sept

4. 25/26 Sept

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    I have created a new thread re the above, however i shall duplicate the useful content from the previous.
    We have missed the april 25th deadline for the better hotel on the island, however they do now have available a few weekends in the summer.
    Interested parties are as follows, and i have presumed there would be two in a car and subsequently, per room (double or twin):
    chaa; smpaton; gts328uk; ferrari355gtb; malfark; ray360m; gumball3000; philjay50; blackspider; f308man.....(10 so far)

FERRY
    There is just one ferry operator to the island ( www.steam-packet.com ). There is a more regular, seacat, fastcraft service to the island from liverpool (2.5 hours) but loading is a little iffy and the cars are jammed in like sardines - definitely not recommended !
    The conventional ferry, the "Ben-my-Chree" sails twice daily from Heysham, nr Morecambe, Lancashire. Times are 02:15 and 14:15. There is a first class lounge on board, which i would recommend, (free drinks, newspapers, pastries and quiet) at aprox £8/9 per sailing. The crossing time is 3.5 hours and there are the usual on board facilities.
    There is plenty of room between the cars, the lads loading are sensible and every care will be given where necessary.
    If the weather is not good you should ask not to be put on the upper (part open) vehicle deck.
    Return times from douglas are 08:45 and 19:45 daily. The revised summer months costs per car and two passengers would equal aprox £164. I suggest each "car" organise their own bookings. Remember to fill up in uk as petrol is slightly more expensive here, but we do now have super unleaded.

HOTELS
    The Sefton Hotel ( www.seftonhotel.co.im ) is on the sea front in the heart of Douglas. I mentioned previously could acommodate ten "cars" on the following weekends:
    26th June and 9th July.
    They are sure they are able to offer secure, reserved, underground, cctv covered parking, however vehicle crime on the island is not considered a problem.
    Rooms would be in the better section of the hotel, in the Atrium, and at a cost of £96 per night, per room. (£48 each/night).

The Mount Murray Hotel and Country Club lies just a two miles outside of Douglas ( www.mountmurray.com ). The hotel boasts a golf course, driving range, gym, pool etc.
    It is considered not quite as "nice" as the sefton but still good. parking is outdoor but reception is manned 24 hours. (Apparently the Bentley club of GB stay there regularly)
    The cost of a minibus into douglas for a beer or two would not break the bank.
    Dates available are as follows:
    12th june; 26th june; 10th july; 17th july; 7th aug; 21st aug (start of manx grand prix m/cycle practice week)
    Rooms would be £77-50 per night (£38-75 per person). King size bed rooms are available at a cost of £87-50 per night. The rates at both hotels include breakfast.

COST SUMMARY (per person sharing car and room)
    return ferry..........£102 (incl. 1st class lounge)......departing 14:15 friday and returning 19:45 sunday.
    hotel i)........£96 (two nights @ sefton)
    hotel ii).......££77-50 (two nights at mt. murray)
    again i suggest each car organise their own reservation.
    CONTACTS
    ferry reservations 01624 661661
    Paul @ sefton hotel 01624 645500
    Kim @ mt murray hotel 01624 695305
    Me 07624 439992

A suggested itinery would include:
    friday: arrive, unpack, dinner, beer
    saturday: two laps TT course, lunch, sightsee down south, dinner, beer
    sunday: free time, depart

For further info checkout www.gov.im/tourism.

Remember, we have the finest public race track in the world, no speed limits (out of towns and villages), no gatsos, great night life, fabulous scenery and most hospitable people.

May i suggest that persons still interested, and others of course, let us know which dates are suitable. We may then collectively agree a date.

Thanks for your time, david

2. chris_crossley

Mar 3, 2004
    Hi,

Try to avoid 27th June as that's the front runner on the vote for Cars in the Park at Bolton Abbey. Would be nice to see you, but i can understand the draw of a Gatso free zone :D

Cheers
    Chris

3. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Hi Dave, providing i am in the country, i still would like to go to the Isle of man. Any tine after mid June suits me.

4. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Sorry mate i checked dates and i will be away then.

5. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Hi Dave,

August 21 coincides with the F-Chat European Rally to Switzerland. July 10 would not work for me but the rest of the dates seem feasible at this stage (subject to work raising its ugly head)! Always wanted to go to the Isle of Man :D

Cheers, MARK

6. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    Ooops !.....accidentally brought this thread back to the top !

7. rviant

rviant Karting

Jan 22, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    Full Name:
    Richard
    What dates are we looking at?

8. Maverix

Maverix Karting

Apr 26, 2004
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    David Crompton
    Yes, would love to do this.
    All dates are good.

Email at [email protected] if anything starts happening seriously.

9. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    mid to end of august is looking favourite with many.....perhaps we should put together a poll thingy to try and generate "available" dates ???
    ..... i shall check hotels tomorrow and update as necessary.
    cheers, d

10. rviant

rviant Karting

Jan 22, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Keep us informed mate. cheers

11. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    I have spoken to the sefton hotel today, and this option appears most unlikely now.
    The Mount Murray can accommodate us on the following dates:
    16th and 17th july.......all rooms available, no problem (twins, singles, doubles, kings and four posters).
    6th and 7th august is a bit of a struggle.......2 x twins; 1 x double; 5 x kings and 2 x four posters (£120/night/room).
    11th and 12th september......1 x twin; 4 x doubles;18 x kings; 3 x four posters (could become complicated !)
    Unless we move to toward the end of september, 16/17 july looks favourite.

If i could respectfully ask for everybody not just to confirm their further interest, but also room requirements, and dates which are NOT possible.

I look forward to hearing from you.
    cheers, david

12. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I would love to come over but in July I will be at the Classic Le Mans, later on is better for me. Accomadation is not an issue for me.

13. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    #13 F308 MAN, May 14, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Due to circumstances beyond their control. the sefton hotel (my first choice) now has dates and "atrium" rooms available.
    You may recall, the sefton can offer secure, under cover and cctv protected parking and is situated on the douglas promenade.
    I shall offer the dates in a poll format (may need a further thread).
    The poll shall close on june 6th at which time the most votes (if any) will secure the weekend.(subject to rooms remaining available)
    I shall thereafter leave all to their own devices to book both ferry and hotel.
    If anyone is still interested in the trip and does NOT agree with the above, please give me a shout.
    regards, david
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    ......way out in front, and early favourite, is the weekend of 21/22 of august.....saturday 21st marks the beginning of practice for the motorcycling Manx Grand Prix (aprox 5-9pm).....the ferries and the hotels are slightly busier than normal, as most competitors will be travelling to the island on the same friday......on the sunday there is no practice......lots of classic bikes around too.
    the roads close around the tt course aprox thirty minutes before the commencement of practice......i generally take the bike to the northern area of the course (very few speed restricted areas) and have a blast with the aim of reaching douglas (the capital) just before the roads close......there is little or no traffic, the marshalls and spectators are in place, and the crowd are well entertained providing you can leave them a few "darkies" and keep the back end "lit".
    imagine if we could organise a similar lap for ten or twelve f-cars ???
    i will "speak" soon.
    regards, d

15. rviant

rviant Karting

Jan 22, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Hi David cheers for all the research.

How do we get moving on this?

August looks favorite, certainly interested in coming.

Let me know of any updates

Cheers

Richard

16. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    hi richard, apologies for the delay in reply.....the move forward remains in the hands of our fellow enthusiasts, i'm afraid......the weekend of 21/22 aug seems now to be a firm favourite.....i shall check hotel(s) is/are still "available" for the said weekend......there is at least one F40 on the island, and two private ferrari collections - i am currently researching viewing possibilities for us.....i have spoken to, and received pm's from many who are interested (hence my continued enthusiasm) although "chaa" is the only one to confirm he won't be joining us.
    I shall post confirmation of hotel availability as soon as poss.
    enjoy the sunshine !
    david

17. rviant

rviant Karting

Jan 22, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Cheers David keep me posted. Definetly up for this one.

By the way love what you have done to your car looks fantastic :D

18. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    ....atrium rooms remain available at the sefton hotel, on the promenade, in Douglas.....one of the collectors i am trying to contact, regarding a prospective visit, has an F40, 288gto, 360 etc etc.....and lives less than three miles from our house !
    Apologies to "Malfark" as the voting is heading toward the 21/22 aug, which i think conflicts with the swiss rally.
    regards, and trust you all have a great (and safe) weekend.
    d

19. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Dave,
    do you still want this thread "stuck"?

20. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    no tony, thanks.....allow the thread to run its' natural course through life.

thanks again....d

21. rviant

rviant Karting

Jan 22, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Come on guys it would be a great weekend if we can get a few f cars together on the Isle of Man..

No speed cameras :D

22. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    ...there is of course, the possibility of spending just the saturday night on the island. ???

23. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    ....is to be held this year upon the 29th, 30th and 31st of July.
    For details, checkout: www.mir.co.im

24. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Dave - a single Saturday night would be more preferable for myself. It all depends upon my new addition to the family and whether I'll be allowed out to play !!

Rick

25. Klint

Klint Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Isle of Man, British Isles
    Full Name:
    Clint
    I'm in... :D

David, not far from that picture you took there's a magnetic hill, where the cars roll up the hill as an optical illusion, definitely a must see.