A really stupid thing I did. | FerrariChat

A really stupid thing I did.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Bart, Jan 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Yesterday, I picked up my 550 at my dealer. After settling the bill, I went to the car and started it. The car was cold. I realize I needed to go to the bathroom and figured the engine would warm up while I was gone. Of course, the mechanic who drove the car to the customer parking lot put the parking brake on. No problem. I left the car with the engine running and went to the dealer’s restroom.

When I came out, I saw my car slowly rolling toward the curb. Yipes! I ran to it and tried to stop it. Say, this car is not a lightweight. The owner of the dealership was walking by and helped me. We did stop it. Now am I stupid or what?

2. Oh lol thats not to bad as long as there was no damage the worst could be it rolling off a driveway and gettin hit or hitting someone elses car.

3. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    $h!t happens. At least no one and nothing was hurt :)

4. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Just careless... Next time better check the parking brake tension. My brother was not as lucky as you have been. He made almost the same mistake bur, when back from the restroom, he found that the car had passed through the closed gate limiting his property...

Ciao

Eugenio

5. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    I live on a hill. Came home to find a car sitting in my neighbour's living room one day!

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

good thing there was no 62 GTO nearby :D !

7. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Wow, now that was a close call. I am happy to see you did not hurt anything, but your pride ;)

Now imagine someone getting run over by his own car as he was trying to stop his from rolling away. I heard that story about a month ago :)

8. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    A couple of months ago my '03 Pontiac Grand am was parked outside of a corner store by my house on a very steep slope facing the brick building. I was in the store when a man ran in and yelled "A SILVER CAR IS GOING TO HIT THE WALL!" I thought WTF are you talking about. Then he said "it's lurching forward!" Of course I run out to save some lady's car from getting bashed when I see MY car creeping towards the wall. I fumble for the keys, get in and yank on the e-brake. Ever since then the e-brake is on when ever my butt isn't in the seat.

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Many years ago I had just got home and heard the phone ringing, ran in to get the phone and while on the phone watched my car roll past the living room window down the drive way ... oops.

Luckily it hit a wheel barrow which stopped it before it hit a huge tree. The wheel barrow did not really get hurt and neither did the car :):)

Italian hand brakes ... lets just say they a useless!
    Pete

10. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Bart..That could have been bad! I have a story that can beat that to tears, but I am not sure I want to share it here!..I mean, beyond STUPID!

11. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    I went to the store in my wifes car one very snowy day it was so cold I left the car running....

When I came out it was gone, I was not unhappy that it was stolen, wait a minute. I noticed the tracks in the fresh snow and started to follow.

The car was not stolen, I guess i had put it in reverse when I stopped. The snow was so deep it kept the car from moving but I guess after it sat a while it started to move! It drove itself around the parking lot, out in the street, back into the parking lot then behind the building in reverse, missing every car and pole and backed its self against a curb.

I looked around, saw no witneses, jumped and drove home!

I never liked that car!

12. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    I'm glad everything is ok, be careful.

13. Matt550

Matt550 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    Littleton Colorado
    Full Name:
    Matt M.
    When i was a delivery drive for Pizza Hut years back i was at a customers house. I get out of my car walk to the door, ring the door bell, and wait for them to answer. As im waiting i hear leaves crunching, i think wtf? and i look and my 1986 toyota MR2 is rolling down the street, i set the pizza down on the porch and run after my car. i managed to stop the car, it had only rolled a few houses down.

14. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Wow Bartudo, you got lucky dude. I bet you don't make that mistake again.

Chris, that is just crazy. The only explination has to be that your guardian angle jumped in the car and drove it. LOL!

15. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    have to disagree with the generally very informed amenasce, if my 550 is going down a hill, i want a 62 GTO, a 275, a 365, and whatever else i can get that they dont make anymore going with it, i wanna take everyone with me!!!!:):):)

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Geeze Bart, you must be in shape. Man, grabbing a 550 as it leaves the station. Muscle Beach watch out!

DrTax

17. Russ Birch

Russ Birch Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Russ Birch
    When I was 18, I parked my STILL RUNNING car outside the sub shop to run in and pick up my lunch. The parking lot was very steep. When I came out, I saw a car JUST like mine 300 feet away, at the bottom of the hill parked in the intersection with a cop car with it's lights flashing. After I stood and stared for a minute wondering what was going on down there, I came to the terrible realization that the car WAS mine!

Now, to add insult to injury, when I got down to the bottom of the hill, the cop gave me a ticket for "parking in the right of way"...AND...my car was locked. Yup, that's right. My still running car was in the middle of the road, locked with the engine running. The cop helped me push it off to the side of the road and left. Man, did I feel stupid!!!

Russ

18. Ferrari

Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    WOW, those are some good ones...

Last year I participated in a MB AMG Challenge day. For one of the courses we were split into two teams and the team with the least total time won. You were giving penalty seconds for not using your seat belt, knocking over cones or for not coming to a stop within a marked rectangle. A lot of people lost a lot of time getting in and out of the car but I felt confident since I'm used to it from my cop days and the car used was a CLK55, just like my own.

When it was my turn, I jumped in, buckled up with my left hand and took off simultaneous, letting the door close from the acceleration. I ripped through the course and just before the finish line I cracked the door open. I drove into the marked rectangle, slammed on the brakes, causing the door to fly open, which I held open with my left foot and released my seat belt simultaneous. I knew I was very fast because my team was jumping up & down. I jump out of the car, ready to clap the next person when I realized that I had forgotten to put the car in PARK.
    I turn around and jump back in but the car had already rolled out of the box.

IN FRONT OF 50 PEOPLE AND THE INSTRUCTORS . . . I FELT SOOO LITTLE . .

However, I was picked to go twice since my team was short one person & at the end of the day I got a trophy for the most creative driving ! ! ! How embarrassing . . .

BTW. Once in a blue moon this would be happening on a hotshot or at the termination of a pursuit because of the worn out column shifters on our black & whites.... Also very embarrassing.

19. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    No Bart, You`re not stupid. Momentary laps of discretion that`s all. Happens all the time. I myself am guilty of this type of thing.
    Drive it hard.
    Jeff

20. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    Years ago I had an old jeep CJ5, me and my wife
    were moving in our new home that was on a VERY
    steep lot with lots of trees.
    I had parked the jeep at the top of the driveway
    in the street. At the bottom of the driveway sat
    our Corvette and Audi.
    You could look out our bedroom window and see the
    top of the driveway and street which was very private.
    All of a sudden my wife says the jeep is driving away!!
    I run to the bedroom window and look out and sure enough
    the CJ was moving toward the top of the driveway to head
    DOWN., There was no one in the car!!
    Well it seems the starter wire shorted out and the starter
    was engaged with the car in gear so the starter was moving
    the car(thankfully it did not start). Well I ran outside not having
    a clue as to what I was going to do if it started down the driveway
    Thankfully it came about 10 feet down and veered off and down
    the hill and hit a tree and stopped. The only damage was a
    fried starter and a very low battery.
    Thankfully it did not hit the other two cars, that would have
    been a tough one to tell the insurance co.
    My wife and I had a good laugh about it as she thought only
    British cars would do this.

21. Red360Stradale

Red360Stradale Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kris G
    I did that once. When I came back to me car I had no clue how it had moved into the center of the parking lot two inches away from a VW Bug. I had been gone for about 5 mins and when I came back there was this guy standing next to my car and he told me how it had just rolled back and almost hit the other car. He called the cops before I came back and when the cop got there he didn't know what to do because there had been no accident; he just took my info and left. Now I always leave my car in gear whenever I park.

22. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    So Bart, what was it then? Simply a parking brake malfunction?

23. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Doh! :eek: Glad everything's ok.

24. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    hehe the runaway car story. i have one of those. i was a little kid, so around 5 i guess, when my dad took me to work with him one day. well we were coming back from the golf course to stop by at home so he could get something. he left me in the car sitting in the driveway while he went inside. during that time i decided to go ahead and play with the parking brake. well i ended up releasing it and the car started rolling back into the street. luckily my dad saw it rolling back from a window and got to the car intime. of course i had no idea what was happening, but that was the last time i was left in the car alone.

25. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    My father was changing the brakes on his Camero about 10 years ago and I was "helping" him. We lived on a very steep hill with a 90 degree turn at the bottom. I stood the wheel upright and let it go as soon as it was going faster than I could run I shouted "DAD!" and he took off after it. He took off like a shot and tackled it on a lawn in front of an Acura. As soon as I saw that he had it, I took off!