Thanks FerrariChat.com Users! | FerrariChat

Thanks FerrariChat.com Users!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Nov 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I wanted to take a second exactly one week after we made the switch to the new software. Yes, I know I have been frustrated at times, but overall I believe it was very smooth for me. I hope it was as smooth for you. I understand it's hard to change, especially when many in our community weren't born with a Sega in their crib.

I know everything isn't perfect yet, but I believe everything is stable and the initial kinks have been worked out. It's only going to get better from here and I promise no major changes foreseeable. We're now on the industry leading software and I believe they have the legs to improve and be stable for years to come. I make decisions after much feedback and discussion with the community and I make that final decision with full responsibility for the outcome. Everything I do I want to be the best for all of us in the community. Some don't believe, but this change will allow FerrariChat.com to achieve the next level of enjoyment and community for Ferrari enthusiasts in the world.

Here are some of the things fixed/updated the past week...

1) Profile fields can now be filled out without birthday bug.
    2) Profile pictures can now be added.
    3) Avatars can be added and also turned off if you personally don't want to see all of them.
    4) "Page can't be displayed" error has been fixed.
    5) Board rendering has been quickened a little.
    6) Thumbnails removed in favor of one image inline per post.
    7) Default dark gray/gray color style lightened up to be easier on the eyes.
    8) 270 user id's have been updated with old post count and registration date so far.
    9) Several additional Regional Communities added.

Priorities to work out...

1) Get all users that have submitted the form updated with total post count and original register date.
    2) Update header to be more browser friendly and copy to all non-forum pages.
    3) Find out if system generated emails are going to Bulk Mail for Yahoo users and Spam for AOL users. We might need to start a campaign to get this fixed with those companies.
    4) Improve the performance of the board.

I'll be working on the site most of the weekend, except when I'm working on my cars. Here are some first week statistics...

Number of new registrations...

Date Total
    October 30, 2003 0
    October 31, 2003 195
    November 01, 2003 410
    November 02, 2003 184
    November 03, 2003 243
    November 04, 2003 142
    November 05, 2003 133
    November 06, 2003 65

User Activity...

Date Total
    October 30, 2003 1
    October 31, 2003 196
    November 01, 2003 557
    November 02, 2003 589
    November 03, 2003 789
    November 04, 2003 832
    November 05, 2003 905
    November 06, 2003 910

2. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for all your hard work Rob - your efforts are very much appreciated.

Joe

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks for all your hard work Rob - The new site is Excellent!

4. bjm

bjm Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Could someone please tell me how to search old messages. Searches are only going back to start of this new board i.e., Nov 1 03. Thanks

5. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Click on FerrariChat.com above to get to the home page. Once there, scroll dpwn to the bottom and click on Old FerrariChat.com Archives. That will get you back to the old FC site. Scroll down to the bottom of that page and click on Search to search the archives.

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Rob, I appreciate your patience with us old aging baby boomers. I remember when I first taught my wife how to use a mouse. "Honey, you can't look at the mouse. You have to look at the screen while you move the mouse with your hand."

Never fear, though. You Gen X types will eventually rule the world. Want proof? There are roughly 90 million baby boomers. There are roughly 60 million Gen Xers. You do the math.

DrTax

7. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    looks really great... kudos Rob!...i havent personally had the time to delve into everything new (moved) i still have a lot to learn about what has changed (hopefully i wont ask any dumb questions...)

Thanks Rob!!

GT

8. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Rob,I must admit,that I was one of the "Fossils" that was whining about change. "JUST when I'm gettin' the hang of the old one..." But,yes,you were right,and it was easy to do. I should've had a little more confidence,as,I am sure that in your Infinite Plan,you did not want to leave out any existing users,or leave anybody by the wayside. So,I am very grateful to you for making ,this Fossil,anyway,just this much more "computer savvy" than I was a week ago. Believe it or not. I didn't even get "on line" ever,until July of this year! I apologize for not trusting you and that you would make sure not to leave us old farts out. (is 43 an old fart? I suppose that if someone is a teenager it is! :) ) Thanks again for this great venue in which to meet other Ferrari lovers,and to get some "Tech Tips",ideas,photos,etc... I really do appreciate it...both the site,and the opportunity to learn a little more "computer stuff". Thanks!

9. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Some of my buddies and I were joking around,"he should have made different FChats for different age groups"... #1) FChat-15 to 30. Advanced computer stuff. Video games,etc... #2) Fchat- 31 to 40. Very simple,basic computer skills like an old CRT... #3) FChat-41 and up...A chalkboard! :) Thanks again!

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    You don't know how much truth there is to that. I'm creating a custom style down the road that users can select in their User CP that has all large fonts. :)

11. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Thank you Rob! This is a terrific site.

12. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad that you saw the humor in that,as it was intended!

13. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    thanks Rob,

I'm starting to get used to it, and I like it. I'm begginning to use some of the custom features.

Vincent.

14. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Great job on the new site -- it works great and the transition was seamless. I really liked the old site, but the new one is just as easy to use and much more flexible. Only wish I had more time to use it.

15. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Thanks Rob!!!

16. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    THANKS ALLAN! (the Avatar!)

17. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Rob, the new software is so much better than the old version... it always takes a little time to get used to any new process. The more I use this, the more I appreciate it. Great job!

18. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Thank you Rob!!

Now that I've had a little time to prowl around the new site and try a few things I really like it!

19. ART360

ART360 Guest

I'm starting to get used to it. The page thing has me in a tizzy at time, but I'm getting used to the new format. Like the quicker loading. Good job Rob.

Art

20. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Glad you're liking it, Art.
    You'll find that the buttons under posts will be practically invisible after a while - there when you need or want 'em, though.
    Years from now you'll laugh about all the fuss and bother, so why not laugh now, aye?

21. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    Echoing the rest - great job Rob and a relatively smooth transition. Like the others, the more I use it and get used to it, the more I like it :)

~C

22. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Well done rob youve worked very hard on this new site,its brill
    Thanks Dale.

23. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks Rob. All it took was a few days for the thread and post count to grow for it to feel like home again. The first few days were like walking through an empty warehouse but now it's starting to become a lively conference center again. Where are the booth babes? :)

24. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Thanks for this great site, Rob.

25. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Thanks Rob!

No question this is a supior backend, hopefully we will see more customization options on the front end!

I have already thought of a few simple perl scripts that I could use to make the new FC appear more like the old, just for my own use.

I have noticed the increase in speed, whatever you did worked well!

Best!
    Ben.