New baby 308 | FerrariChat

New baby 308

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Viper29567, Jan 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Viper29567

Viper29567 Rookie

Nov 28, 2003
    Hey guys, my dad has been comtemplating purchase of a 308 GTB. I was really excited by this (obviously) but then a coworker mentioned the rumored unreliability of such cars. It will be well taken care of and purchased in good condition, so I'm hoping maintenance wont be that bad. Does anyone have an idea if this is a car thats really hard to maintain?

2. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    I owned an '82 308 GTSi and loved it. But it did take some sorting out. But after I dumped $15k into mods, repairs and a major service, it was fine. I would recommend finding one with a documented service history from at least 3-5 years back, and of course a PPI. The 308's are a great introduction to Ferrari. Best of luck in your search and post up when you find one.
    Also, are you dead set on getting a carbed 308? Or could you go with an injected 2v or 4v (QV)??

3. Viper29567

Viper29567 Rookie

Nov 28, 2003
    I'm not set on a carbed 308, so I definately will shop around. When I do commit, I will definately post some pictures. Thanks for the advice.

4. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    if you make sure you get a good one you won't have a problem. dont rush into anything and get educated about them b4 looking.

5. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Get the GTB if it's in good shape. Right now I prefer carb cars. I'm sick of fuel injection. There are too many things that can/do go wrong and it's a pain in the ass to mess with. Plus if you have to work on the car, you have to remove the injection crap in order to gain access. Carbs are much simpler. Also since it's a 77 you can get a classic tag for it, and you don't have to worry about emissions. I know the later 308's are deemed to be more reliable, but when it comes time to restore it, it will be a pain. Go for the simple in a classic car.