Great drivers of the modern era | FerrariChat

Great drivers of the modern era

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Il Commenadatore, Jan 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I saw this mentioned in another thread, and while the obvious names were mentioned (Senna and Schumacher), where do you think Jacques Villeneuve sits on the list of great drivers of the modern era?

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Off the list!. Sorry he won his WC because of the car ... any average driver in that place at that time could have won too.

Gilles was great, Jacques was ocassionally good but would never be on my list of great drivers of the modern era.

Pete

3. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    Off my list too but so is Hill and Mansell. Yeah Mansell won over the pond but the team was the Williams equivalent IMHO he had pretty good machinery there too.

4. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    JV never even showed up on my radar screen.

My top 3 modern drivers

MS
    Senna
    Prost

5. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    JV is a very talented driver and can run with anyone. However, he lacks consistent motivation. Joining BAR secured him tons of cash, but sent his ability to be motivated spiralling downwards. Going from a World Championship contender to a brand spanking new team was the biggest mistake of his career, and is now costing him dearly. I do hope that someone gives him another chance, for I believe that all he needs is a competitive drive to motivate him again.

Also, he must learn to keep his mouth shut. As a driver, your driving should do the talking for you.

6. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    Depends how big the list is........top 10 ? - No.
    Top 100 - yes.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think it is funny how you guys always beat up on JV.

I'm no JV fan either, but think he did deserve his WC. Anyway, if you call JV a looser, what term can we then use for Damon Hill? Or Keke Rosberg. Two of the most undeserving WCs in my book.