355 help needed--------------------- | FerrariChat

355 help needed---------------------

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tonyh, Jan 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Driving home from work tonight , i notice clouds of steam coming from engine bay of my '96 355 Spider. At first i thought the radiator had overheated so came to stop for 10 mins to let car cool down.
    All seemed ok so i restarted the engine and drove remaing few miles home with no problems.There were no warning lights on, water temp and oil levels were normal, no "check engine" lights on and no noticable loss of fluid from car.Do i get the car checked or put this down to the joys of Ferrari ownership? My inclination is to get it checked over.Can anyone offer advice , pls ? Anything similar happen to fellow 355 owners?
    Thanks in advance
    Tony

2. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I never experienced this problem but I would definately get the car looked at to rule anything out.

Did you just wash the car and get water in the engine compartment?

Mario
    97 355 Spider

3. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Tony

Must have been a huge puddle of water !!!!

I would very carefully check the water level as the sensor may not be working

James

4. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Tony get it checked over a few quid against a bigger prob later on could hurt the pocket.

Better safe than sorry mate......As James says could of been some water from the road got under the engine compartment

5. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Guys ,
    the car hasn't been driven/washed for over a week and journey home tonight wasn't in the rain....

6. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    How did it smell ?
    How does the engine bay looks now, any residue ?

7. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H

Smell was like a boiled kettle, there is no residue in bay, but the clear plastic hood window was steamed up and kind of chalky .

8. malibumk

malibumk Karting

May 14, 2002
    Malibu, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Klein
    Tony:
    The radiator surge tank in these 355's is "full" when you have to stick your finger about 2-3" down to touch liquid....car/fluid cold. If it was too full, it could have overflowed via the small black hose from the cap...it runs down to the very bottom of the car, and tends to spray back on the muffler....lots of steam, not much residue.

Steam can only come from water...and that's the only water back there. I'd drive it more, pay attension to the gages, water level and fan(s) operation....and then take it from there.
    MK

9. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi Tony check the water level from COLD in the morning,if the expansion tanks empty looks like you have a leak,it could be a very small pin hole in a hose a cracked pipe, gasket on a water rail or pump that leaks under pressure,take it in Tony and get them to pressure test the cooling system,its not worth the risk,
    Dale.

10. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Thnks for the replies and especially to JRS for his help.
    Tony

11. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Do a pressure check on the cooling system. You could have a leak in one of your hoses. You can get a pressure tester from any automotive store. Pump up the cooling system and see if you hear any hissing. You also can look at the gage on the pump and see if there is any drop in pressure. That is the best way to know for sure if you have a leak in the system. Good luck.

12. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Many thanks. The problem is i don't have enough coolant....i will sort that out today.
    Tony