Maintenance for 348 or 355 | FerrariChat

Maintenance for 348 or 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by bkaird1, Nov 9, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bkaird1

bkaird1 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Brad
    I've noticed many here with 308s and 328s do your own maintenance work and was wondering if there were 348s or 355s owners herre who do the same. How difficult is the work and are there resources available to learn more about it (for all models)?

Thanks,

BK

2. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I don't do the work myself. I don't own an SD1 or 2 computer (I don't thinlk many of us do) and I really do not have the time. I think that 328 maintenance is much easier to do than 355 work...

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I have a 348 and I do my own work. It isn't that hard to work on. If you are looking for books to tell you how to work on the car, forget it. The only book that they have is the shop manual. But even that thing isn't very good. It is poorly written, and the only thing it is really good for is for the specs that you need. The 348 and 355 both have to have the engine taken out of the car for the timing belt service. Yes I have taken my engine out also, it was a little bit of a chore, but really no big deal. In a nut shell you can work on the car yourself. As I have said in the past all it takes is patience, tools, and some guidance.

4. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I've done some of my own work on the 348. Namely clutch and flywheel. I'll probably do more at some point I rather enjoy it when I have the time. I did take in for the 15k and have the valves adjusted.

Vincent.

5. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I've done my own 348 work. I've done a major and taken the engine out. That is the biggest pain of the whole job. Everything else is rather straight forward. You just have to take your time and be meticulous. Mistakes have the potential to be very expensive!

I have to agree that the books are pretty useless. Especially if you've used Porsche ot MB books. They don't go into any detail about procedures.

As far as working on the cars...they are pretty basic.....so don't be afraid! Just be careful!