308QV oil pressure readings | FerrariChat

308QV oil pressure readings

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Doc, Jan 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    In a previous thread I reported an oil line failure 3-4 weeks ago. I was able to shut the engine off w/i seconds ( it was only idling at the time), but the crankcase emptied almost immediately. I've since installed OEM hoses and filled the engine w Castrol 10w40 as the weather here is brutally cold. Here's what Ive observed: Upon starting the engine, the oil pressure light goes off w/i a couple of seconds as it always had. However, the needle on the oil pressure gauge doesn't move for quite some time--approx 30 secs. When it does , it rapidly floats up to normal readings and continues reading normally throughout warm up. The pressure reaings look perfect with idling/reving. Also, the engine sounds fine right from start-up.

Q--should I be concerned with this? Could this be a function of the extremely cold temps here ( ie zero or below almost every night for the past month--in the twenties in the garage) affecting the gauge or sender? Since the light goes out right away, it's getting pressure, but could there be a mechanical reason for the gauge reading being delayed like this?

2. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Richard Ham
    My oil pressure does this, unless I give the gauge a tap and then it goes up straight away :)

20 year old gauge I guess

3. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    you should read the sales litterature for the PRELUBER oil system.
    90% of all motor wear occurs at startup (particularly during winter) when the oil takes it time to get into the motor.

if you are going to drive in those wintery conditioins you need to consider a pre-lube device or find someway to heat the motor before cranking.

4. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    It's the outside temperature. My jag would make all kinds of noises when it was below 25 degrees out.
    I'd be wary to start my 308 in the single digit to teen temperature range. It's soo cold the oil doesn't flow right.

5. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Thanks, guys. I tapped on the gauge today upon star-up and it worked immediately. I guess it was the cold-gauge syndrome.

6. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    This probably isn't your problem, but I was having ~30 intervals w/o oil pressure on cold start. Replaced the pressure sender and this dropped to about 5 seconds max. (Also increased my oil pressure by about 10-20 lbs)