04 360 challenge race rule changes | FerrariChat

04 360 challenge race rule changes

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by titanium360, Feb 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    This is what i got from my dealer today regarding the rule changes for the 04 season:

MAJOR RULE CHANGES

2004 Regulations will be mailed to all competitors in the next two weeks. There are few major changes from 2003, but you should be aware that:

1) You may now choose to sign up on a race-by-race basis, or for the entire Challenge season (at a reduced fee).

2) You no longer have to be the owner of the Ferrari you race. You may rent a properly prepared 360 Challenge for your use, or you may rent your car to another driver. In any case you must still have a 2004 GrandAm drivers license and be properly registered for the Challenge. Professional drivers -- as defined by the Regulations and the Challenge Manager -- remain ineligible for the Challenge.

3) A HANS device in mandatory for all drivers.

2. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Thanks for posting this info. I had planned to race in Grand Am Rolex this season for a race or two but now I may be interested in Ferrari Challenge since they instituted the ability to run only a few races.

Decisions, decisions...................let's see Porsche GT3 Cup Car or Ferrari 360 Challenge car.

Rolex Series would have three times the fans, but then again I wouldn't have to constantly be checking my mirrors to stay out of the way of those Daytona Prototpes and GT cars in Ferrari Challenge and I migh even have the chance to run at the front.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

3. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Jon, do you have your own crew for the challenge race or are you planing to go with one of the F- dealers?

4. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    The Challenge series uses dealer supplied race support only. It's a major way for them to make revenue. You basically sign on with a dealer for a race weekend and they take care of everything. For the driver it's just arrive and drive.

Regards,

Jon

5. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    And what's the pricetag for that service for one race?
    (Assuming a seat is available.)

6. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    which dealer are you thinking about signing on with. my company sponsors a local dealer for the challenge race and would love to have you with us.

7. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    This may have been asked before, but how can I view the Challenge races? I never seen them advertised on speed channel. Anyone cover them at all?

8. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    more interesting info regarding the 2004 challenge:

Let’s start with a new partner and a new name: Motorola has joined us to participate in the 2004 Challenge season. Motorola’s support, combined with that from our other partners, will make 2004 an outstanding year.

We want every Ferrari Challenge weekend to be a major event. To accomplish that, we plan:

-- Ferrari Club of America involvement on each Challenge weekend;

-- All Challenge events to be open to spectators (and spectators will be encouraged, not just allowed);

-- Special track events for Ferrari Challenge cars from previous years, to bring back the 348s and 355s;

-- Ferrari merchandise displays and sales at each Challenge weekend;

-- Casual, Italian-style hospitality at the track during the day, and special dinners and events for the evenings.

All in all, the goal of the Ferrari Challenge / Ferrari Days is competitive fun on the track combined with Ferrari’s best hospitality to create a series of outstanding weekends for Ferrari owners.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    All that sounds good, but I haven't been contacted yet. You think they would want the most successful challenge car in the American series there. :)

10. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    rob if you want i can pm you the contact. let me know?

11. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Rob,

They don't run the 355 in Challenge anymore. Maybe when they are having a historic weekend.

12. teflon

teflon Formula Junior

May 16, 2003
    Full Name:
    Greg A
    Audiguy,

See this excerpt from the post above? I think this is what Rob was referring to when he made that comment.

Greg A

13. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    I attended the Lime Rock Challenge weekend last year and it was a blast. They invited all the 355 and 348 Challenge cars to the event and we got to run a special "355/348" Challenge session in front of a few thousand fans.

In addition they had sport and touring run groups for all Ferraris and Maserati's during the morning.

Looks like they will be doing the same in 04.

In terms of cost for Challenge races it depends on each dealer and if you own or rent a car. Costs range from 15K to 25K (own vs. rent).

Titanium 360: Do you sponsor individual drivers or the team in general. I have some sponsorship funds but am looking for another sponsor to offset some fo the cost of running in the Challenge series. Is you company looking to sponsor another driver? PM me if interested.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod

14. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Jon, my company sponsors the team in general and not individual.

15. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I missed that part. My bad. Rob, I am sure you would love it. I believe your car probably remembers every turn quite well so you could probably just put it in gear, gas it and let go of the wheel and it would drive itself. :>o

16. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Jon,

Is the car recovered from the mishap at Summit Point? I'm thinking of doing 2 or 3 of the Challenge races this year. Will you be at Sebring April 2-3?

Best Regards

Steve

17. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Solly,

Are you referring to my bad alternator or confusing my car with Paul Prideaux's F355 C #23 which flipped in turn 1. In my case I just needed a new alternator. Paul on the other hand has a bit more work to do from his mishap.

I sold my 355 C in January.

How's your 360 C doing? Ever get a hold of a GT wing for your car?

Won't be at Sebring. Talked with FOW about Montreal but that requires one other race. Not sure yet. Much depends on sponsorship funds and most sponsors are more interested in Grand Am Rolex than Ferrari Challenge.

See you at the track in 04!!!

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net (new site)

18. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Steve,

which dealer are you thinking about running with?

19. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Jon-you're right it was Paul who flipped. Glad to hear you are doing well. What are you racing if you sold the 355? Hope to see you this summer.

Titanium- I've been using Classic Coach/Ferrari of Central Florida foir maintenance and track support. I guess I will use them for any Challenge races.

20. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Also- did not get the rear wing as it seems that if you mount a rear wing you also need a front air dam to counterbalance the rear downforce. It's getting too complicated and I'm getting used to sliding the car around corners, (sometimes intentionally!!).

21. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Solly, have you talked to the guys at the Ferrari of long island. my company is a sponsor for the challenge race and can probably work out a better deal for you. let me know .

22. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Solly,

I am racing a Grand Am Cup Integra in various differnet series (GA Cup possibly, SCCA, NASA etc) and also campaigning a Spec Racer in SCCA.

Trying to set up a deal to possibly run a 996 GT3RS in the Rolex Series and am in the process of searching for sponsorship for a race or two. Let me know if you know anyone looking for sponsorship?TV exposure.

Might do a Challenge race but that is less certain since there is no TV exposure for sponsors.

Will most definetally see you at the track this season.

If you need more information call FOW in the wing. They convereted Jim Wilson's 360 C with a rear wing and a front splitter to run in the Rolex Series SGS class.

Regards,

Jon

23. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "Trying to set up a deal to possibly run a 996 GT3RS in the Rolex Series"

Hi Jon, I think we are dancing around the same series and cars - I'm still trying to decide what to race when I grow up. The only turn off (for me) about the Porsches is that there are so many of them - on the other hand, there's a good reason why there are so many! Will you be at the 12 hour? I decided to try out the Panoz support race, should be interesting. If you are looking for funded co-drivers, drop a pm.

Have you ever considered open wheel? With the suspension of Skippy's pro series, the formula mazda series, with the new car, should be hotter than ever, and has TV. Pricing I've heard from one source is $85k for the car & data and basic spares, plus say 10k a weekend with a prep shop.

Regards, Will

24. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Will,

I see you are back from Sebring. How did the race go? I will call you at the end of the week when my work load permits more time to discuss the info I have gotten from Grand Am and a few of the Porsche teams.

Regards,

Jon

25. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "I see you are back from Sebring. How did the race go?"

I raced with Marco Andretti and John Edwards (the age 13ish phenom). The only reason they beat me - hard, with a stick - the ONLY reason - is that they are vastly more talented. Oh, well, if only they had my good looks .... ;-)