06 Maserati Coupe/Spyder AWD? | FerrariChat

06 Maserati Coupe/Spyder AWD?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by tfazio, Sep 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    In the latest autoweek they mention "the Coupe and Spider might receive awd for 06, courtesy of technology sharing with VW" pg 23...

I don't remember hearing/reading anything about this happening so quickly in the past. I thought that AWD may be a possibility in the future for a completely new coupe/spyder but that was a few years away. I thought the first thing Maserati might use from VW/Audi was the DSG transmission on future Maseratis. I thought that would happen before AWD.

What does everyone think about AWD on the Coupe or Spyder? Do you think Maserati will make AWD available as early as next uear? Would it make you want to get a Coupe/Spyder more if it had AWD?

I think AWD would make more sense on the Quattroporte since it could be used as a family car and be driven year round with a set of snow tires of course. However, the reviews I have read on the Quattroporte all say how much fun it is to drive. Would AWD take the fun out?

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I thought Maser/VW-Audi sharin tech idea was freezed because VW couldnt use the Quattroporte platform as it was too expensive.

??

God no. Pls not AWD Spiders..Its already a on the heavy side..

3. FLNavi85

FLNavi85 Rookie

Jun 24, 2004
    when my dad bought his maserati coupe the dealer did mention that they would all eventually be 4-wheel drive because of maserati working with audi to produce the kubang (not sure of the spelling) that was in like January though (when we bought the car) so things might've changed since then...

4. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    The 4wd idea, the Kubang (SUV), distribution via Audi dealers, etc. are all a no-go for now. All these business initiatives pre-date Martin Leach.

Some of these things may happen, but not anytime in the next 2-3 years.

Their major projects now:
    - a replacement for the Coupe/Spyder using the a shortened version of the RWD Quattroporte platform.
    - sports car racing with the MC12 to better establish brand and name recognition for Maserati
    - fixing production and operational issues, which become especially important as Maserati grows in volume
    - new markets (read Russia and China)

My 2 cents

- Jon

5. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I don't think you will ever see all wheel drive on any Maserati 2-door, or even Quattroporte for that matter. With the advanced stability programs nowadays, you don't really need it.

I drove a current Maser Coupe on a wet racetrack with the stability program on, and let me tell you - I was ASTONISHED at how well the car tracked. Stick a set of dedicated snow tires on the car, and you'd do just fine in a winter climate.

6. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig

7. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    If the Kubang is any thing like the Twarg or the Pepper, they might have something to brag about. Those are nice SUV's...

8. NoJo

NoJo Karting

Aug 15, 2004
    Jerusalem
    Full Name:
    Noah Joseph
    I can't see them simply installing an Audi Quattro or VW 4Motion system on an existing car like the 3200GT/Coupe/Spyder. I'm sure it was not designed and engineered to be able to accomodate an all-wheel drive system, and from what I understand, it's not so easy to just slip in an extra driveshaft, the differential and all the accompanying gear.

They could, however, prep that car's replacement to accomodate AWD. Then it'd be right up against the Porsche 911 Carrera 4, for competition.

It's conceivable that they designed the Quattroporte ready for Quattro (hmm...). That would make more sense. And of course the Kubang would need an AWD system if they were to build it.

Does the Quattroporte need AWD? I haven't driven one. I do, however, drive a VW Passat V6 4Motion. In Montreal winters, lemme tell ya, it's fantastic. I can park on snowbanks where others fear to tread, literally. My dad used to have a Jaguar XJR..one of the first in Canada. It had good traction control, but that didn't cut it. If I were buying a four-season car in this climate, I wouldn't even consider a car without AWD. In terms of the Quattroporte's competition, that would mean taking customers away from a Mercedes S-Class with 4Motion or an Audi Quattro. Jaguar, BMW, Lexus, Rolls-Royce, Bentley...they don't offer it.

A Ferrari-engineered luxury sports sedan with all-wheel drive? Now we're talking. A 360 Spider for the summers, a Quattroporte for the winter. Forza!