0812 - Back on Track | Page 4 | FerrariChat

0812 - Back on Track

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Marcel Massini, Sep 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    #76 Bertocchi, Oct 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I found two more photos of #0812. The first is LeMans 1963 taken about the same time as the photo Giotto posted. The second is a cockpit shot from 1964. It is a rare photo of the dashboard back in history.
    I know that the Chinettis hired some very good people to restore the car(s) and they had many original parts. Not everyone pays the same attention to detail.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    I was thinking the same thing. It's like a pack of people telling you your wife's ugly.

I'd like to get a squint at the restoration contract for this car. I'd be curious what was promised vs. what was delivered.

1. "Make my car look like this photo" = $350,000
    2. "Make my car look like this huge stack of period photos with all these specific details" = $700,000
    3. "Make my car so perfect that nobody on FChat can question it" = $ Priceless $

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #78 El Wayne, Oct 1, 2008
  4. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    #79 Horsefly, Oct 1, 2008
  5. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    #80 richardowen, Oct 1, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
    David posted the 1963 dashboard, it's possible the 1964 configuration was different after the car burnt.

Thanks for that interior pic, as you said they are so rare.

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Pardon me if I missed this information in a previous post, but was this car raced at Sebring in 1963? If so, what number?

Thanks.

Jack

7. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #82 CMY, Oct 1, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
    While I'm typically amazed by Marcel's attention to detail, I think (as the others have noted) this car has some noteable differences with the photos of it racing.

I'm not going to harp on what has already been mentioned, but I did notice that the new B-pillar/rollbar does not extrude out the same distance as the original (it looks to be about an inch off from the beginning of the curve to the flat point which meets the window). Also, the A-pillar looks to be set to a slight degree forward and the 'repro' is completely straight.

Again, I've got no horse in race but I do love FCars that give you the feeling that they are roaring out of that old photograph. This one, as Borat would put it, "not so much".

8. Dilancer

Dilancer F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Dilan B.
    Car looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

9. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Dilan, well said.

With all the changes that were made mid during- and inbetween seasons, coming up with the correct spec is not an easy task. I think that at this level, it should have been taken greater care of, but it is always easier to point out the faults than pointing out what is actually very good.
    It is a very beautiful car.

Are there any pics of the mechanicals?

10. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    The dashboard photo is absolutely LeMans 1964. Your argument still is valid though, there may have been a difference between 63 & 64?

T308 was correct in his last post "priceless"

David

p.s. I post the photos for encourage discussion and not to criticize.

11. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Dave, Steve,

What is the gizmo on the right side of the dash??

Best

12. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Winscreen washer - manual pump

13. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Thanks.

14. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Any news?

15. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Incorrect.

Steve

16. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Number 3 is impossible. Everyone, including people who have never seen one in the flesh, are experts.

Steve

17. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Correct.

Steve

18. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Whew, everyone is Fantuzzi I guess. (The guy(s) that originally did the body.). Hard to know where to start. In defense of the guys that did the work, they didn't go off half cocked and just make stuff up as they went along. They examined both exisiting 250/275Ps, they had a stack of original photographs (I saw them, and way more than the few that have appeared on this site), they had input from the drivers that drove the car, like Surtees (who had some interesting comments), they debated back and forth with Fantuzzi, etc., etc. Yes, 0812 raced Sebring, and finished, in 62, 64 and 65 as three different cars and body configurations. The P cars literally changed race to race. They changed at the races. I loved the story I was told about the hammer being the most used tool in the tool box and some of the "modifications" made to the car at certain races. The swapped stuff between cars. They were just race cars, "just win baby" would work for Ferrari as well as Al Davis.

Way too long for FerrariChat, but just to hit on one item to show how this all worked. The nose. There was much discussion around the nose. There was the usual discussion around how old photographs, unless you know the lens being used, can be deceiving. There were period pictures being looked at. Finally, Fantuzzi stated the nose should be flatter. So, flatter it was. Was that right call? Maybe. But, absent anything better, going with the guys that originally built the car is hard to argue with. And, don't bring up 0810 and 0816, neither are right either. Well, in the opinion of the guys that looked. Which is why you couldn't just copy them. Don't ask me what is wrong with them. I'm not saying.

Then, there is the whole Italian vs. American "level" or "quality" of restoration. I'm not saying one is better than the other. But, they are very different. For example, I picked out all sorts of small stuff from Cad2 on the radiator cap (didn't exist then), to BK2A coils (better, but not correct), to Facet fuel pumps (work fine, but incorrect in manufacture and plating), etc., etc. on the car. When I explained how in America we rebuild the old coils with new (usually) Bosch internally ballasted guts and fake the use of the external resistor, they looked at me like I was from another planet, or on crack. Their view was simple. If it works better, and the car functions, drive/race the bloody thing. If you need to take a hammer to body to make it work for a race, they'll be the first to give you one. Nothing wrong with that attitude.

Once in the US, one can "fix"/"restore" the car anyway you want. Or, just leave it alone, maybe whack it a few times with a hammer to make it feel like a real race car again, and enjoy it.

There was no mistaking the matching chassis, gearbox, engine numbers on the car with the factory supplied build sheet though. The real deal.

Steve

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Good Post!

As an aside I believe that there is only one of the P3's, P 3/4, 412P's, and P4's that has the original chassis/gearbox/engine/and body that it first left the factory with.

20. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Steve Hill then ? :)

21. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    The old Fantuzzi is dead! Just an old name, not more. Every one is drooling away with F A N T U Z Z I. What's in a name.....
    Even in Poland nowadays they can do better (old aircraft industry, now making classic cobras etc).
    IMHO one should have done better coachbuild work to resemble the car to 1963/1964 shape (whatever race) or when factory new.
    Just my 2 cents.

Wish the owner all the best and luck with it.

22. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Can you blame them? Best wishes, Kare

23. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I had a 275 GTS restored in Italy. During the restoration they installed a modern Bonaldi brake booster. After the car was done I asked for the original booster and received a similar look. They could not understand why I would want to install an inferior part. There are valid arguments for both point of views.

David

24. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  25. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    That guy is just the tip of the iceberg out there. That area is just a mess of corruption.