$116,000 for an engine block? | FerrariChat

$116,000 for an engine block?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by dstacy, Sep 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
  2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  3. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Unless Ferrari Classiche is willing to recast said owner a new one for $75K or so including stamping the original numbers in it....

Terry

4. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    There would still be that pesky little issue of that Classiche Stamp next to the numbers...

5. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    seems like allot to me but Ive never restored a ferrari. Ill trust jim

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The interesting issue is that a no stories 275 GTB 4 is worth 850K+
    What is one with a Classiche Block worth? (vrs. 850K) other things being equal?

Mike Sheean touches on this in this months SCM

7. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    good point I would think the value would still be very high, as the parts are coming straight from Ferrari molds that the originals were made from, and not a copied mold that someone else made.

8. modmaki

modmaki Formula 3

Sep 11, 2006
    Michigan,USA
    Full Name:
    Mo Makki
    look is still a block made out of alloy its not gold...real cost is subjective since ferrari parts aren't readly avaiable and do supply and demand,one can charge what ever thery can get a way with.....

9. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    does he think there would be a noticeable difference ???

id would have thought that to most ppl as long as the engine was supplied by ferrari then they would be satisfied - however im not an expert like sheehan.

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I would think an original block would be worth a lot more.

I also think a period replacement block would be worth more.

The end of this thread touches on this issue as to how it effects a 250 GTO.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162773

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

A very interesting issue. What do you think? I think there would be a noticeable difference. Personally it would matter to me.
    In the case of the GTO referenced above I think it would make an even bigger difference. I know it would to me.

Best

12. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    i think there are 2 classes of buyer (or maybe more)

to the layman if the engine has come from ferrari and indeed they have issued a classiche certificate then that car would probably be considered to be virtually "no stories"

to the more discerning type (such as fchat members) then its a cloudier issuse.

13. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I paid $50,000 for an original Aston Martin DB6 block for a customer. This looks to be about right to me.

14. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    From what I've seen in the past, I surmise that a non-original block detracts about 25% from the value of any one of these old cars. Considering what 4-Cams are trading for these days, I'd say the starting bid is more than fair. Interesting that the seller does not mention the s/n, though.

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I wonder about that as well (s/n).

Best

16. modmaki

modmaki Formula 3

Sep 11, 2006
    Michigan,USA
    Full Name:
    Mo Makki
    please excuse the rookie comments ...but can some plese explain why an engine block shuould cost that much?

17. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Only because the market will bear it. That said casting a new blocks as Classiche has isn't for the feint of wallet and original blocks are rare and original blocks that once were attached to a car you now own are rarer indeed.

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I agree, why would the seller not seek to reattach it the original vehicle, if able?

Seems like FleaBay is a shot in the dark, return wise........

Of course, the original car could well be gone........

19. superleggera

superleggera Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Dry Heat, AZ
    It's all about the all important serial number and do you want the car with the original serialized engine or not...

When I was doing the restoration work @10 years ago, I know of a TR59/60 engine that was acquired for $1M by a possible customer as it matched the serial number of his TR59/60-spec racecar that had been acquired from Europe. The engine had seen better days -- but the all important serial number was correct. It was just the price of admission unfortunately to get the building blocks to make the Ferrari correct. I'd almost hate to see what the price would be today given the escalating prices of significant Ferrari racecars and how "correct" the concours judging has become. (Could a significant Ferrari -- even a racecar -- win a concours without matching #'s today?)

20. TLKIZER660

TLKIZER660 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    If you click on Sellers Other Items, you'll see a 275 GTB/4 alloy body for sale. Coincidence? Sounds like an Italian "Thomassimo Shaughnessini" to me.
    Tom Kizer

21. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    ahh I could see where having the original car minus the engine would play a key role in the price.

22. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I collect Morgan Dollars. An 1893 in MS 65 is worth about $8000. Add a little "S" mint mark to the back and it's worth 100 times that or more. What's the difference? It's just a little bit of metal. Well, it's a HUGE difference as the market will attest to. What's that engine block worth? It's worth whatever people will pay for it.

Ken

23. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    guys like Dick Merritt, whose basement at one time was literally full of Colombo and Lampredi engines, must either (1) go to their happy zen places or (2) clean their Smith & Wesson in a darkened room w/ a bottle of Jack D, when they think about what those derelict motors are worth today . . . .

24. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I suspect that Classiche would produce an engine block for much less than $75k...I would think the price would be closer to $25k...

25. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    If I remember right, I believe I was quoted $38K for a block for a Type 168 comp motor. I'm not sure how much it actually was from Ferrari, but that was price that evenutally was quoted to me through a Ferrari dealer.

Steve