15:10 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

15:10

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Feb 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    No, but when people say I'm not a fan, or should stop watching because I'm annoyed with a sport I love, I have a right to defend myself.

2. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Fair enough. It’s similar to the insinuation that I’m not a real fan because I like the technology...even though I’ve been watching F1 probably longer than you’ve been alive.

3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Different time zones, different Sunday agendas... The time change will suit to some guys and won´t suit to others. They´ve changed it because they know the first group is bigger. Just maths and business. End of story.

Personally it suits me, so I won´t complain.

4. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    don't take this as a personal attack :D
    But did you guys actually tell Bas he is not an F1 fans because the time the race starts matters to him just to tell us that you would watch a race at 6:10 but not at 6:00???
    Just in case you did not notice: F1 is not all about the US and just as it affects you on one side of the globe means it affects those on the other side as well...

5. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I absolutely never said that anybody was not a fan. I simply suggested that every little thing gets him so worked up that maybe he should step away for a bit. A simple suggestion for a way to reduce stress...

I also never said that F1 is all about the US. BUT...it’s a market that both Bernie and Liberty have expressed interest in capturing. That is, those in control of the sport and those who have been in control think it’s something that would be good for the sport. Some people are slightly inconvenienced so that others can participate. I suggest that too many of you are making F1 all about Europe...it’s not.

6. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    I don't mind F1 race broadcasting at 15.10, as longs as it stops at 15.10.
    This ridiculous, meaningless circus is no sport any more.
    I think the real F1 diehards like Colin Chapman, Enzo Ferrari, Ken Tyrrell, Teddy Mayer and some others of an almost forgotten era, turn in their grave.

7. Likewise. 'Since mid '60s.
    Yes it does, I guess. 'Don't really know your passion but I'll assume.
    'Give ya the whole numbers tho'...

8. No.

9. What's the difference twixt the "ridiculous, meaningless circus" 'tween then and now? It's still the best winning (albeit I'm not a fan of many of the new rules,,,) when they deserve to.

10. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Well, a Mr. Martin Bullen gives an interesting answer to your question.... I very much agree with him.
    From quora.com:

"For several years the F1 authorities have been modifying the formula, all with the stated intention of improving the fan's interest. In my opinion, they have gone in exactly the wrong direction, and caused many, once avid followers, to turn away in disgust.

One obvious factor is the tyres which the cars are required to use. In order to increase the number of pit-stops, the tyres are deliberately fragile, so that any abuse will make them almost completely unusable. This results in the drivers having to race at below the ultimate capacity of themselves and their cars, just to be able to finish. Most of the drivers would far prefer to be able to race each other without having to back off, just to preserve their tyres. As a comparison, look at the WEC, where 1000hp cars are able to race for 45 minutes at a time (between fuel stops, on a set of tyres, and will often continue for a second stint without changing them.

Next we have attempts to "economise". One result that no testing is permitted, other than a few days before the start of the season. The result: it is not permitted for a team with a poor car to hire a track to try to sort out the problem. The only "testing" during the year is during the practise sessions for the Grands Prix. Hence, a poor car cannot be properly developed and stays a comparatively poor car for the entire season. The race results can be predicted, with fair accuracy, for the entire season after the first two or three races.

Engines. In the search for fuel economy, the most expensive automotive engines yet seen have had to be developed for the current formula. Their cost far outways the saving in fuel which can be made using these engines.

Aerodynamics. The current F1 car is an aerodynamic marvel, agreed, but the turbulance in the wake a car combined with the loss of downforce felt by any car following means that the following driver cannot get withing 0.5 second of the leading car without risking his front tyres being torn to shreds. (See tyres, above.) Even when the following car is 2 or 3 seconds per lap quicker than the car ahead, it is very difficult to pass. This has resulted in artificial means of passing such as DRS.

Rules. Too many people have an input to the rules by which a F1 race is run; and they have to agree unanimously (in theory). So what happens? Every person at the Australian GP this year agreed that newly introduced qualifying procedure was wrong, and should be abandoned in favour of the procedure which has been used for several years. One person appears to have disagreed with this, so the new procedure will be used again at Bahrain.

Another result from a rigid set of rules is that all the cars look practically identical, other than their livery. All the teams striving to optimise a set of rigid rules will, and has, result in near identical solutions.

The people with the most stake in getting an optimum formula and sporting code - the racing teams - have only a minor say in how the sport is run. Even when they agree about what is required, it does not happen.

What would be a better solution? Formula One is meant to be the pinnacle of motor racing. I would suggest that a simple set of regulations specifying maximum dimensions, minimum weight, a maximum size to the fuel tank (with no mid-race refueling), and a comprehensive set of safety requirements are all that is required. All else should be free: engine type, size and fuel (note that one of the fastest cars at Le Mans is a diesel); energy recovery systems of any type and capacity may be used (or not), type, size and make of tyres; even the number and position of the wheels (there have been a number of 6-wheel prototype in the past). Allow as much testing as required, whenever and wherever the teams would like it.

In my opinion, this "Formula Libre" would result in some very interesting racing. Unfortunately, the vested interests in FIA and Formula One Management will most likely continue with the present formula, getting more boring by the race, until there are no fans left to pay for the very expensive cars."'

jmillard308, NEP and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  11. Blah, blah, blah.

F1 is supposed to be the top. It is. You deserve what you get.

Forget about "evening" the playing field for the "show".

12. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    "Blah blah blah" to such a great analysis? Since you had Bandini in your nickname, I thought you were a diehard F1 tifoso with respect for the old sports, when the importance of the drivers' skills was way more important than nowadays. F1 today is a disgrace in comparison to what happened in the 50's and 60's.

13. #38 lorenzobandini, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    (a)"Great" analysis is subjective, no?
    (b)'Not a "tifoso" of anything. 'Just love auto racing.
    (c)The skill is still required.
    (d)How's that? When was the last time you designed, built, crewed upon, or drove one? I never have, but I still respect F1 for what it is.

14. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I agree, but for different reasons. I love the European races because they start at 8MA and are finished by 10AM. That leaves the rest of the day to do something worthwhile.

tifoso2728 likes this.