$187,000.00 resto for 110 g's | FerrariChat

$187,000.00 resto for 110 g's

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by msdesignltd, Feb 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Be careful what you read on eBay....not every printed word is true. Sometimes, sellers will 'embellish' on numbers, details, and whatnot to get high bids.

2. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Depending upon how the restoration cost is calculated, the restoration may have actually cost much less than $187kUS when completed, considering what the dollar has done against foreign currencies in the past years.

500 miles in 7 years is not comforting.

The car looks great and may run well, but it would not do well on a 'originality' concours. Perhaps the following are nit-picking, but I don't know why someone would spent multiple tens of thousands of dollars and not strive for a car that was indistinguishable from factory new, esp for a 'collection'. I would not mind driving a car that is not original, but I would spend much less getting it there.

The dash appears to have been re-done in leather, nor original 'mousefur.'

The connection from the oil filler to the crankcase runs directly across the carb linkage and sparkplug wires. It should have two 90 degree bends in it that avoids the linkage and wires.

The Marelli ignition boxes on the inside fenders wells are not there.

The Cavallino on the rear fascia is not OEM.

The fog lights are not OEM.

The routing of the spark plug wires is not correct (The circular spacers are in the wrong position).

The radio is modern, not Becker Mexico.

Maybe that's why it's only $110k bid, when the FML API is $113 and the two C4s for sale in FML are $130k and 145k.

3. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    500 miles since 2001, what's the point of it then?
    I've gone that far with my fertilizer spreader walking around the yard I think!
    BT

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Also, this was a european restoration done almost 10 years ago. The euro has doubled against the dollar in that period, so how the costs were calculated will significantly effect the value of the restoration.

Regards,

Art S.

5. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Not only that, but it is unfortunate that the word "restoration" is one of the most abused words in the car sales industry. Unless there is comprehensive supporting documentation of the restoration, ideally including photos as well as all of the detailed invoices, the description here really doesn't mean that much. On top of that, after 7 years of virtually no use, the car will need at a minimum some significant recommissioning work to make it truly road worthy after all that time sitting around, slowly rotting.

John

6. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    it looks really, really superb though.

7. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I really enjoy running a carfax on the ebay cars. You will not believe some of the garbage they pawn off there.

8. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Wow, they have really jumped in value. Less than ten years ago you could get the best in the world for under 65K. So why spend 187K to restore one. Never understand the point of spending on a restoration and then not really enjoying the car (drive the darn thing.) To me, black is best for this model as it helps to hide the bumpers. One thing I have consistently heard is they are beasts to sevice with everything being under those beautiful carbs.