1956 Ferrari 250 GT b.Genève Boano Cabriolet | FerrariChat

1956 Ferrari 250 GT b.Genève Boano Cabriolet

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Carbonero, Mar 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carbonero

Carbonero Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2009
    Troll Free Zone
    Full Name:
    Bill
    The other 250 thread got me thinking of all the "Speciales" that were based on the 250. I went looking and found a BUNCH that I have never seen, nor even known about. You may be surprised to see where the list is, maybe not.

A visit to the link IS worth it. Gorgeous pictures, and a LOT of info. Pics cannot be posted here as they are quite large.

Enjoy!

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532284

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    .........and incorrect information and REPLICAS as well.......

Marcel Massini

3. Enzo Anselmo Ferrari

Enzo Anselmo Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    France
    The Drogo... And the NART, isn't it?

4. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It's not a Drogo, it's a fake.

Marcel Massini

5. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    The Giugiaro Bertone is very interesting, the Boano Cab is not pretty.

6. Enzo Anselmo Ferrari

Apr 4, 2009
    France

Yes of course, I wanted to write: The "Drogo" :)

7. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    I have to admit that assemblage was my doing on a facebook forum.

Not having pics of 3445GT with its Drogo body, I had to use the Replica body. Marcel maybe you can help me out there, I know there's some great pics in Making a Difference!

I would welcome any other errors/omissions. I changed the 1966 Ferrari 250 GT NART Spyder into the 1966 Ferrari 250 GT Fantuzzi Spyder years ago....

8. Carbonero

Carbonero Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2009
    Troll Free Zone
    Full Name:
    Bill
  9. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Incorrect.
    It is not 2423 GT.
    It is 4769 GT, originally a standard 250 GTE 2+2. Has a REPLICA body of a Drogo body which was once on 3445 GT. It is a FAKE.

Marcel Massini

10. Carbonero

Carbonero Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2009
    Troll Free Zone
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #10 Carbonero, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK, I think I understand, sort of...

4769GT, as shown in my OP is THIS car:

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/chassisNum.aspx?carid=12918&idNumID=568

"He had it sent to Allegretti in Modena to have a body built that was similar to the Drogo bodied 250 GT (3445)."

So, the "fakeness" is derived from the similar body NOT built by Drogo. Is that it?

That being said, then my 2nd link that shows 3445 & 2423 both wearing the same body, at different times, IS accurate?

Also, alluding to 2423, it states "Former UK owner Robert Lamplough used the car as a daily driver until a traffic accident in 1976. The car (3445) was restored and received a new Series 1 GTO body.

The heavily damaged Drogo body was restored and placed on a replica 250 GTE chassis, using the identity and engine of chassis #2423GT. The car is now blue again.

So, 2423 is the somewhat modified/restored Drogo body on a replica? frame. Right? What happened to the REAL 2423?

Lastly, 3445 currently looks like THIS:

http://www.web-cars.com/gto/up_close_f-gto-3445.php

Have I got it right?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
  12. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    Replicas... reconstructions... moving from one chassis to another... very confusing ;)
    Marcel, if I understand this correctly, the blue car is not #2423GT, but #4769GT?
    And #2423GT is the red one?
    Just to be sure, which of the two wears the reconstructed (?) body of the Norinder GTO and which one is the REPLICA?

13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The red one is 4769 GT (originally a 250 GTE 2+2) and is a total replica. It has ZERO to do with a Drogo or whatever. The body is a REPLICA (a poor copy) of the Drogo body formerly on 250 GTO #3445 GT.

The blue one is 2423 GT, originally a 250 GTE 2+2, which in 1987 received the Drogo body coming from the 250 GTO #3445 GT.

Marcel Massini

14. Enzo Anselmo Ferrari

Apr 4, 2009
    France
    #14 Enzo Anselmo Ferrari, Mar 24, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
    Does a true Drogo still exist today? Are they all destroyed?
    I saw two "Drogos" in Torino, in front of a 1959 250 California LWB, a 250 TdF, a 2nd series (from novembre 1956 to march 1957 I think), but I don't know if they are trues!

EDIT---> I didn't dare to ask the s/n, sorry!

15. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    Thanks, Marcel.
    So I conclude the gallery at Coachbuild.com has matched the right numbers to the right cars.

16. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Could anyone send me the photo in post number 10? If possible, please send to [email protected] Thats me racing in Monterey in the GTO reunion in 2004. Great shot and one I would like to share it with my kids as I used to tool around town with them in that car just a few years ago.

Cheers,

Bill

17. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    I have a few nice ones.

18. tonykalil

tonykalil Karting

Aug 20, 2010
    Palm City, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Kalil

Hello Marcel,

I would like to shed some light on the 4769 GT Drogo Replica. My father, Glen Kalil had that car commissioned by Mario Allegretti in 1986. You make several claims about the car that are not accurate.

First, you quote that the car is a poor copy, and you also state that it has ZERO to do with a Drogo.

In fact, the car was an exact copy built to the original body specs that 3445 GT originally wore. It was built from the original lofting and body bucks by the same panel beater that hammered out the original Drogo Specialle for 3445 GT.

I remember meeting Mario with my father and mother, who all traveled over to visit him at his shop. Our friend Greg Jones was having Mario build GTO bodies on some PF coupes and GTEs at the time, and he convinced us to have a GTO built as well.

When I first saw his shop in 86, he had sections of the first Drogo 3445 nose that was removed from a minor accident. It was still dark blue, and it had the original side marker lights without the bumpers. I am not sure if Mario replaced the nose, or it was just aquired by him.

My father inquired about the piece, just because of the color. To Mario's delight, he began to tell us about the Drogo car, and he showed us the drawings and bucks to recreate that car instead of the standard GTO.

My father and mother agreed, as the Drogo was beautiful, and we sent the GTE over to have it created. The original nose of the 3445 body was used. I have pictures of it on the car, still with some blue paint, and it had the correct original marker lights.

If you look at the 3445 wrecked body, it had the modified nose with the bumperettes. 3445 GT was also later fitted with roll up windows, but if you look closely at the early pictures of 3445, it had the racing doors off of the GTO with the sliding side windows.

Our car, 4769 GT, was built EXACTLY as the original was, with sliding side windows, and the doors had the exact body line that the original 3445 GT had.

If you look at 2423 GT today, the door body curvature is incorrect, as the surfaces fall away toward the rear of the doors. Check the reflections.

So in summary, the body was built by the same body builder as the original 3445 GT body, and it was built on the original bucks, with the original lofting. Last, it actually has a section of nose in it that was originally part of the 3445 GT body in its original form- with sliding side windows, round side markers, and no bumpers.

It was also built in the same time frame (I am not sure who completed their cars first) as 2423 GT, so I am curious about your disdain for the car.

In any case, my father aquired 0383 GT (Europa) just as the 4769 was being completed, so he sold it promptly to focus on the Europa, and shipped 0383 GT over to Mario to have it restored.

My father was an avid Ferrari collector, and I was fortunate enough to grow up in the company of many fine Ferraris. Some of his past cars were:

Elena 0857GT, Europa 0383GT, Series 1 Cab 0979GT, Chinetti LeMans Boxer 24131, Inter 0109S, Daytona 14771, NART Spyder 10139, David Hobbs Dino 206S 012, 410 S3 SuperAmerica 1285SA, Boano 0535GT, PF Cab S2 1695GT, Lusso 4411GT, Lusso 4447GT

There were other Daytonas, 330s, 275s, Lussos, and 308s/400s/512s that I do not have the IDs to.

As I side note, a friend of ours took the original 4769GT body and put it on a VW chassis. I put a PF Coupe body onto an 81 Impala chassis with a Pontiac 455 as a high school project. I cringe now, but what was a high school kid to do with a spare Ferrari body??

I hope this clears up some confusion over 4769GT

Anthony Kalil

19. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    ....knockout first post Mr. Kalil......thank you for your recollections!

And just to annoy the purists a bit, please let us see a picture of the PF coupe body/Impala "Speciale" ;-)

Tritone

20. tonykalil

tonykalil Karting

Aug 20, 2010
    Palm City, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Kalil

Thanks for the complement. The PF Coupe/Impala was a fun car. I remember it very well, and it was put together with many different parts.

The chassis came from our old 80s Impala that got rear ended. The chassis was narrowed and shortened, and we fit the body to it very well. It had Caddy Wire wheels at the time, on 5 bolt lugs. We used 69 Camaro seats, although everything was recovered in period leather style. It retained the original dash and wheel.

The car did not have bumpers or fog lights when I got it, and the rear taillights were missing, so we grafted 54 Dodge tail lights into it. They were a near perfect fit to begin with.

We put an old 455 with a Turbo400 that I bought from a freind, and we had to remove a great deal of metal to fit it. I saw the car a few years later in Florida, and it had a small block Chevy installed instead of the Pontiac.

One of the funniest things I remeber about it, was the day we were taking it down to the Cruise auction in West Palm or Lauderdale. My father thought the grille looked empty without the round fog lights, so he jumped on top of our rollback truck that another car was on, and grabbed the chrome round spotlights, and quickly fitted them to the PF in a matter of an hour. They looked great!

I remember driving that car down to the auction, and it ran very respectfully. The rear axle ratio was a weak 2.73 from the 6 cylinder Impala, and I remember thinking that it would not hold up too long. It was not too quick from zero, but on the highway, it really screamed.

I am currently in China, but when I get back home, I will scan and post a bunch of old pictures of the Drogo, the PF, and some other interesting Ferraris.

Cheers,

Anthony

21. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #21 kare, Aug 22, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
    Please do!!!!!

Any idea where that PF Coupé body shell came from?

Best wishes, Kare

PS. that "thing" still exists!

22. tonykalil

tonykalil Karting

Aug 20, 2010
    Palm City, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Kalil
    #22 tonykalil, Aug 22, 2010
    The PF came from Greg Jones. He had a few GTOs built by Mario Allegretti, and he built some himself in Stuart Florida, where I live. Greg turned out to be a very good panel beater himself, and I beleive he learned it from his father Ray, who purchased all of the tooling and extra parts from the original Bugattis.

I believe that the original chassis from Greg's car was listed in the registry, but I have forgotten the serial number. I will look it up and post though.

Yes, I did see the car still in Florida a few years after we sold it. It had a nice small block in it, and it had cast aluminum wheels instead of the Caddy wires. I have not heard of it since.

Regards,

Anthony

23. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #23 kare, Aug 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This supports my guess that this car might have been built using remains of 1273GT, a well known Greg Jones GTO. It is titled using serial number "GT93127" which has caused a lot of confusion with GTE 3127 - a car it most certainly has nothing to do with.

Last time it appeared it on ebay two years ago, it was using wire wheels, an engine that looks like a GM big block to me - and 1954 Dodge tail lights. Best wishes, Kare

24. tonykalil

tonykalil Karting

Aug 20, 2010
    Palm City, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Kalil
    #24 tonykalil, Aug 22, 2010
    That is the car!! It is nice to see it again. It still has the fog lamps from the roll back tow truck, and it looks to still have the 69 Camaro seats. It also has the aftermarket 80s Caddy wire wheels back on it.

It also looks like the bumpers have been put back on.

I would love to know where it is today.

Thanks for the flashback,

Anthony

25. andyleonard

andyleonard Rookie

Oct 23, 2010
    #25 andyleonard, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2010
    Sorry to be late to lunch. David Cottingham built 2323 into one of his 500TRC/250 rebodies in the '80s. Ron Spangler brought it into the country under this number and it was purchased and vintage raced extensively on the east coast until I bought it from Merritt's shop in Maryland and brought it to California. I ran it for 10 years or so - VARA, HSRW, CA Mille, Copperstate, Co Grand, etc. and sold it on a few years ago through Mike Sheehan. It had the original chassis and the original California pink slip when I bought and sold it. It did not however have motor #2423, so clearly the #2423 in question has based it's identity on it's motor.