1971 Jaguar XKE | FerrariChat

1971 Jaguar XKE

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by btxclusive, Nov 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. btxclusive

btxclusive Rookie
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2015
    Dayton, OH
    Full Name:
    David D
    #1 btxclusive, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It is finished in the classic combination of primrose yellow over a black leather interior. Very good quality paint(paint is original) and straight body Interior is extremely presentable. It is originally a California car and it was in California till 2010 when I moved to Ohio. The body of the car is very clean and rust free. Panel fit is very good and it rides on a set of proper chrome wire wheels.
    Performance lives up to the cosmetics with a strong engine smooth shifting gearbox and excellent handling. Mechanics are in very good condition. The number's matching engine is finely detailed, very smooth and strong and the transmission shifts nicely.
    Also includes the jack and spare tire. Excellent original car. Very presentable. Asking $42,700.

David
    (937) 471-1863
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Nice example of a beautiful car.

Good luck with the sale.

Mike

3. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Very tempting indeed.

4. btxclusive

btxclusive Rookie
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2015
    Dayton, OH
    Full Name:
    David D
    Thanks Mike

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Any other pics of the car? Looks like a coupe, this is the type of car I'd want to purchase if I got rid of my S1 FHC.

6. btxclusive

btxclusive Rookie
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2015
    Dayton, OH
    Full Name:
    David D
    Sure. Send me your email address

7. RSAmerica1

RSAmerica1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 13, 2009
    Hi - sent you an email, just making sure it went through. Thx.
    Pete

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I sent a text to a friend who has been looking a long time....

This might be just what he needs!
    GLWS!

9. acm57

acm57 Karting

Dec 26, 2005
    Chapin,SC
    Full Name:
    Tony Martin
    I have its twin in SC. Keep me posted on the sale as to a reference on insurance. Thanks Tony

10. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I received this PM from another user. I've encouraged him to post this information himself, along with the photos, but here's the message in the meantime:

Interestingly, someone with the same username (btxclusive) recently registered on a Mercedes forum that I occasionally visit. As here, that btxclusive registered in October and immediately placed a classified ad listing a classic car for sale. In that case, however, he goes by the name "King" and is located in Westminster, CO:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/13188233-post1.html

Perhaps David (btxclusive) would like to respond.

11. RSAmerica1

RSAmerica1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 13, 2009
    #11 RSAmerica1, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK - here is what has happened:

- Contacted poster from Fchat ad on 11/5 via email then phone requesting additional information and pictures. Via phone, not very informative about the car, very vague. When asked about history, indicated car was uncle's car from California since new and selling due to medical emergency (his son's).
    - He sent pictures - 36 photos - I've attached some key ones including build plate which seems to have been photoshopped - more on that below
    - In photos, I noticed car was in Twin Falls Idaho, Wills Toyota (new Toyota's in the background with dealership front plates). Idaho plate present on Jag ("71 XKE"). Via Carfax this is no longer a valid Idaho plate. This is where I began to realize something was off.
    - Called poster on 11/6 - asked why car was in Twin Falls Idaho. Indicated he was there a few weeks ago, his mother lives there. He asked if I was from there, and I said I saw the references to Wills Toyota in the pictures. He indicated it currently has Cali plates and it is in Ohio. I said I'd be in Ohio next week and would like to come and see it - he said no problem. Asked him to provide pictures of title and recent pictures of car showing this - he said he'd have them to me that day or the next morning 11/7. Do not have these from him as of today....
    - The photo provided by the "seller" of the build plate (attached) shows the Car No as 2R28146. Checked this on XKEdata.com and it does not show up. By chance, I then checked the engine #, body #, and gearbox #'s that also are in the photo via XKEdata.com - all show up, but with car # 2R28140 - indicating a Chris Wills, in all places from Twin Falls Idaho as owner at least in 2012. Checking Wills Toyota website, Chris Wills is GM - email Chris to see what he knows of the car and if it resides in Ohio.
    - Chris calls me within minutes and says something is odd with this as he sold it in August via Hemmings (for < $40K!!) to someone who has shipped it to Germany. I forwarded Chris the 36 pictures I was sent, and he then replies that these appear to be lifted off of his Youtube video ad for the car. Likely, the build plate was photoshopped to make the 2R28140 into 2R28146 for whatever reason. It is clear on the Youtube video it ends in "0" but in the photo it is a "6". Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t3ywD9ZacQ Chris also pointed out that the engine and undercarriage pictures are from a different car - his was a 6 cyl the engine in the pics is a V12 and the undercarriage pics are not reflective of what his car looked like so likely were taken from another car.
    - Chris and I made a nice connection, but this is obviously something that is being fabricated in the above ad. Too bad I wasn't looking for this in August when Chris sold it!

Crazy that this kind of crap happens but wanted to make others aware...

At first I thought this looked too good to be true, with what I know now I'm bummed I didn't connect with Chris Wills earlier when he was selling it in the first place....

Comments welcome.

12. LostAussie

LostAussie Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Just took a look at the youtube video.

At 1:09 you can clearly see that these are the same car by comparing the missing paint around the build plate etc, but the car number in the video does indeed end in zero.

I love this forum.

13. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Amazing someone actually thought he could scam F-Chat!!! :D:D:D

msdesignltd likes this.
  14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That car, with a legit 6 cylinder, for below $40K, THAT's the real crime...:D :D :D

Nice work, guys!!

My friend is gonna puke..

15. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    To the person who reported this thread as a "possible scam" this morning, thank you, but you're a little late to the party. :)

Haven't banned the OP yet so that he has an opportunity to respond/explain. If we don't hear from him by the end of today, I'll ban his account and cross-post on BenzWorld.

16. RSAmerica1

RSAmerica1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 13, 2009
    This should awaken the Wayne Carini in all of us :)

17. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Dude. The car sold on Hemmings. This wasn't some hidden estate sale some from an old lady out in the woods. Anyone who is even remotely serious about buying an E-Type is going to scan Hemmings. It's not like that's some well guarded secret or anything.

18. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    That is a V12 engine....first thing I noticed. Something ain't right...

19. AlexKeyWest

AlexKeyWest Rookie

Dec 31, 2013
    Reminds me of the thread that went on forever about the 355 for sale in SoCal that was a unique one off color. Apparently it had a washed salvage title.

Good work

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    :D :D :D

I think he's holding out for a drop top....thanks!!

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    this is 100% scam! the subscription payment was a chargeback, so I had to pay a $20 fee on top of the refund.

payment details were:

Jeanne Elmuccio
    945 Fernwood Ave
    Plainfield, NJ 07062
    United States

IP was 174.16.243.188 in Dever, also matching the OP.

22. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #22 lear60man, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    Is it possible that the lady above had her CC info swiped? Since the IP address isnt even in the same state, Im thinking bogus CC info to pay for bogus subscription.

23. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Most likely. Should probably remove the name and address. Not the best idea to post in the first place.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    She can contact me.

25. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    As a follow-up, BenzWorld verified via IP address that this was the same scammer who posted the 280 SL ad over there. They've deleted the ad and banned the user.