1977 308 GTB USA Model Main Seal. | FerrariChat

1977 308 GTB USA Model Main Seal.

Discussion in '308/328' started by Neilg, Feb 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Good Evening, am working on replacement of my clutch as well as flywheel resurfacing, when I removed the flywheel I was surprised to see the main seal actually behind the crank flange (I thought it was supposed to be flush on the outside lip of the crank flange - if you look closely at the attached pic my seal is inverted (can see the spring of the seal exposed facing you BEHIND the crank flange), is this normal? I did not see any appreciable oil leak so it must be functioning in some manner? Wanted to ask if others have seen this main seal installed in this fashion? Thanks in advance.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

JuLiTrO likes this.
  2. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Also, wanted to ask what the torque is of the nuts surrounding the crankshaft flange in the picture and assume they are red loctited?

3. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Wanted to re-post to see if anyone's main seal is installed similar to mine in the photo - there is a seal behind the crank flange (not on the front outer rim of the flange as you would expect), but trying to determine if that is correct? Should I just leave the seal intact, given there does not seem to be any measurable oil leak? Thanks in advance -

4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
  5. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    My 0.02 pull it and push a new one in. You’re there and it is an easy task.

6. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    My other 0.02 clean and check the 3 ignition sensors. If they need replacing it’s the perfect time with all that access.

7. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Thanks, looks like your seal is on the outside, which is what I was suspecting mine should be installed as also - as you look closely at my photo, the seal is actually behind the flange not on the top front, so apparently someone installed it incorrectly when they were in there last. Your photo confirms mine is incorrectly installed. Regarding ignition sensors I do not see any, my 77 308 apparently does not have these.

8. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The seal looks correct. Just make sure it is fully seated.

9. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Thanks, was there a change between the early 308's and the later ones whereby on my 77 the seal is behind the flange with inner spring facing towards you (not towards the engine/oil), and on later models they improved the design so the seal is on the exterior/top of the crank flange so it is easily replaceable?

10. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    I ordered (and received) from Ricambi P/N 200323 main seal (says this superseded original P/N 106244), but I do not see how this installs flush with the crankshaft flywheel mounting flange as it protrudes out approx. 1/8 inch, which I would suspect would not be proper given the flywheel has to mount to this flange with its 8 bolts - in looking at my picture above vs. cls' picture his has the seal covering the outer flange, in looking at my picture you can see NO seal (it is BEHIND the crank flange) - I am thoroughly confused, given this discrepancy and the fact the part I ordered does not appear to fit as does cls' - any help/clarification greatly appreciated - I do not want to just ignore and button everything up only to have a leak! Thanks in advance -

11. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Here is a pic to describe what I am asking above - the new seal is installed - it sticks up too high, this can't install the flywheel properly - is there a part number of a seal which sits flush that I could procure?

12. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
  13. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green

Attached Files:

14. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I don't think 200323 is the right seal. Even though Ricambi states it supersedes 106244, their listing states that it fits the more modern Ferraris starting with the 360 and forward. It does not state that this is for the 308 series.

This seal seem to fit the 308 series, 163989, and is available at AW Italian auto, Here is a link:
    http://www.awitalian.com/Rear-Crankshaft-Seal-163989_p_4606.html

Here is picture of my 78 308 GTS USA model which was installed about 5 years ago. Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Joe, thanks - your pic is the way mine looks now after flywheel removal - the part from AW Italian Auto unfortunately looks just like the one I purchased and am trying to install from Ricambi - I guess my question is how did you install the main seal as it appears to be installed behind the crank flange?

16. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I installed mine with the crankshaft in place. I probably oiled the seal and edge of the crankshaft and gently eased the seal over the edge. Then I used a PVC reducer connector with the same diameter as the seal and put a piece of wood over the end and drove it forward on the crankshaft until it seated. Mine has a metal edge as opposed to the viton? covering, but that should not make a difference.

I would make a call to AW Italian parts and do some double checking about what you have and what they offer. The seals look similar, but actual dimensions could be different especially the depth.

There may be differences in the actual bore dimensions of the rear cover from 77 to 78.

17. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Joe - thanks - have Dave of AW Italian parts checking the dimensions of the main seal they carry for 308's - await callback. If I understand correctly from looking at your picture you slid the new seal just over the lip of the crankshaft flange then pushed it back towards the engine (right rear of car) until it was just seated behind the flange lip? I see yours looks like it is orange colored?

18. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thats correct.

19. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Joe - thanks - I can see my old seal (the seal spring is actually facing me) behind the flange - not sure if this is the correct installation/perhaps previous owner did clutch work and installed a new seal but incorrectly? Should I just take a pick/hook to pull to extract it? They (Ferrari) definitely made changes to this seal through the 308 model series as later ones have the seal lips on the outside of the diameter of the flange but also flush with the cover....

20. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The important thing is not to scratch any surfaces. Perhaps try to use a hooked pick to see if just the spring will come out. This will relax the seal then work on the main seal. When you remove it try to go back and forth to pull evenly and not cock the unit in the bore.

Good luck

21. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Joe - thanks will do....

22. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Still working this project - having a heck of a time removing the old main seal, my seal has a metal cover and am trying to drill through it so I can feed a small machine screw into the hole so I can put some vise-grips on the head of the screw and pull outwards to remove the seal - is this the proper extraction method? Is there a main seal extraction tool which is used for this purpose? The metal is thicker than I anticipated so I have not broken through yet. I am hoping I do not need to remove the flywheel cover plate which has multiple screws and gaskets behind it which I prefer not to disturb to pull it out towards me so I can access the main seal - attached pic is where I am drilling (bottom, holding the drill bit in my hand to indication drilling location) - thanks in advance for any advise from those who have been there/done that.....

23. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Drilling a couple of holes and inserting screws is a good method. Go slow and eventually you will break through.

I do not know how far in from the edge of the crankshaft end the metal seal sits. If it is only about 2mm or so you might be able to pry it out. Find a very small screwdriver and use a thin piece of wood (I use a piece of cedar shingle), leather or rubber to protect the end of the crankcase. Put the blade under the metal lip of the seal and rest the shaft on the edge of the crankshaft using the shim to protect the metal. You may be able to pry it away. If so, work your way around the seal. Only move it a 1-2mm at time to not cock it on the crankcase and to avoid having the metal edge of the seal contact the crankcase.

I'm a bit confused by your pictures. The first picture, post 1, shows a seal with the spring showing. In post 13 you state that that is new seal. Did you install it over the old metal one? I assume you did not remove the old metal one because it seems you are now trying to do that. In post 22 the spring does not seem to be showing like in post 1.

24. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Joe, you are correct, initially I did not realize the seal cover was metal and thought it was part of the flywheel spacer cover (thus not realizing it was the seal itself), and I was simply placing the new seal from Ricambi over the old for a fit check (and to be honest I was confused as heck thinking the seal somehow had to be installed from the BACK side of the crankshaft flange - never having done/seen this before it was a brain fade on my part!

25. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Brain fart in the beginning, now its learning from experience!