1977 308 GTB USA Model Main Seal. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1977 308 GTB USA Model Main Seal.

Discussion in '308/328' started by Neilg, Feb 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Thanks, what was throwing me is I was not expecting the seal to have a metal cover, when I think of seals, I am thinking of rubber/pliable material - live and learn - and to think this entire clutch project all began as the result of dropping a distributor nut accidently down the flywheel portal window while I was performing the timing belts change! That effort has been sidelined until the clutch is done - but to be honest the clutch did need to be changed as it had begun to slip slightly and what was especially a harrowing find was the transmission shaft ring nut on the lower transfer case gear was so loose I could almost spin it off by my fingers during the removal process - certainly did not need any breaker bar! Truly believe the Ferrari Gods were telling me to do a clutch job!

2. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Drilling out along opposite sides of the top of the seal did the trick, used small crow bar with wood spacer to lay across crankshaft flange to protect it why prying - did each side a little at a time til it popped out - thanks for the assist!

3. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Good work. Glad you got it out!

4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I had to resort to a hammer and a flat head screwdriver to remove them when I replaced them on the transaxles... If that didn't work I was going to try some low-grade explosives. Be careful not to scratch the casing, of course.

waymar likes this.
  5. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    True! Small grade explosives is not a bad idea though!