1979 308GTB for sale | FerrariChat

1979 308GTB for sale

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by wolfturbo, Jan 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    #1 wolfturbo, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    1979 308 GTB for sale (VIN F106AB29133).

This is a fanatically restored and maintained 308 in better than new condition. 1979 is the last year of the last carbureted model of Ferrari imported to the US. Car is red on tan after a bare metal respray and restoration . Car was originally rosso prugna, now is rosso corsa (PPG Fer 300/6 paint code). This car has 58K miles (believed to be original) and has no history of accident repair or damage.

At the time of restoration, this car was taken down to bare metal and at the same time new Wilton wool carpets were installed, new door panels were installed and the seats were recovered in proper leather. At that time, the car was painstakingly and properly converted to Euro bumpers and a Euro front grill. Note that this is not a case of someone simply collapsing the struts on a US bumpered car. These are proper Euro bumpers that were mounted to the car. The car also had new rubber seals fitted throughout. Note that the car still retains original glass throughout and the original felt window guides with the red stripes! The interior is in like new condition. No tears to the leather, perfect dash, like new carpets, spotless headliner and best of all, everything works on this car! All gauges work, the a/c blows cold air, electric window regulators have been rebuilt, etc.

The car had an extensive $30K engine rebuild by Independent Ferrari Service in Massachusetts, at which time it received new pistons, valves and ’75 spec cams. Also lined bored and blueprinted and the car comes with a series of engine dyno runs. At this time, the suspension was refreshed with custom valved Koni shocks and new bushings and the brakes were also rebuilt. The water pump and distributor were rebuilt, all fuel lines were replaced and the water hoses were upgraded to silicon. The car also has the Birdman fuse panel upgrade. Needless to say, all services and maintenance items are current on the vehicle. In fact, I recently spent over $1,000 having the gaskets under the carbs replaced to eliminate vacuum leaks and having the carbs synced. I also had a $3,500 major service performed in Nov 2016.

The car currently rides on perfect 16 inch wheels with no curb rash, but note that I am also including 4 original, freshly refinished 14 inch Cromodora wheels still in their boxes, as well as an original 14 inch spare. These wheels are perfect for showing purposes for anybody who wants to go the Concours route, but the car rides much better on 16 inch wheels.

Numerous performance upgrades have also been done to this car. It has upgraded fans with a custom shroud around them to maximize the flow of air to the freshly installed and upgraded radiator. It has also been converted to a single distributor setup with MSD ignition for improved drivability. All smog equipment has been removed so the car WILL NOT PASS SMOG OR VISUAL INSPECTION IN CALIFORNIA. Since the smog system is missing, I had the directional signals wired to the engine slow-down lights, which now blink when you use the directional signals. This is much easier than trying to see the dim little indicator lights at the bottom of the speedometer gauge. The car also has a battery cut off switch installed and a pigtail for a battery tender.

Best of all, this car has a fabulous Accusump oil scavenge system installed that provides oil pickup and pressure during hard cornering and also injects oil into the engine journals upon start up. This minimizes wear and maintains strong compression on the motor.

Now for the good stuff: the car comes with all books & manuals in the original cloth Ferrari pouch, all tools (including the elusive spark plug wrench) in the original and correct pouch, an original jack with all accessories in pouch, and original radio delete plate, the emergency light on the plug in cord and ORIGINAL WINDOW STICKER! It even has the original sticker on the inside of the lid on the storage bin between the seats. There are two binders full of pics of the resto work, maintenance work and another folder full of invoices. Good luck finding another 308 with all accessories present AND the original window sticker!

This car drives like an absolute dream. It makes all of the right noises, has excellent throttle response, tracks straight, no rattles, the a/c blows cold, EVERYTHING WORKS, etc. This car needs nothing. Also note that I am the world’s worst photographer. The car is a deep, lustrous Ferrari red and dare I say it, the paint is perfect. No swirl marks, no scratches, no chips that I am aware of, etc. I have attached a few pics to this ad, but there are 80 pics at the dropbox link below:

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Photos/Ferrari%20308%20pics

The car is located in Orange County, CA and available for inspection. I am asking $105K for the vehicle and will put it up head to head against any 308 in the country. PPI’s welcome. No trade offers please and no Nigerian Prince scams either. Thank you for looking.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. Best regards to all.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
  3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I've driven this car and I can atest that it is a rocket! Very, very killer 308!

4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Bellisimo !!!!! what HP dyno reading did the car have ? GTB looks best ,,nice work done

5. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
  6. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Very nice!
    What distributer did you use in the conversion?

7. galileo

galileo Formula Junior

May 20, 2011
    Nice car, price seems fair.

8. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    #10 wolfturbo, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    Price drop to $97K. PM if interested. Drove this car today and was reminded what a gem she is!

10. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Great 308. GLWS!

11. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    Price drop to $90K.

12. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I have driven this 308 and seen the documentation - this is a great 308 at a great price - GLWS

13. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    That car looks amazing - GLWS!!

14. Squirrelmonkey

Squirrelmonkey Karting

Dec 27, 2010
    Manitoba ,Canada
    Full Name:
    Tom Thieme
    Looks Great..Lots of room in the engine bay with one distributor too. Just for interest sake, I noticed your sales invoice was around $ 45,000 ? Although my original invoice for a 77 GTB was accidently destroyed recently, It had a sticker price of $ 68,000 !! what a price drop in just a couple of years..Intresesting..

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    1977, MSRP was around $30K, from mine....

GLWS, Wolfie!

You will miss this when it goes!

16. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Having recently purchased a car (550) from Rob, I can attest he is a fantastic seller and his cars are not only top notch, they’re very accurately described. He’s a great guy to boot.

I briefly saw this car when I picked up my 550 and was amazed at how nice it is - it’s a gem.

GLWS... whoever gets this will have one beautiful GTB.

Ruben

BrianNYC14 and Dave rocks like this.
  17. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    Thanks for the kind words guys. Loooooooooooove that avatar Ruben! So happy to know how much enjoyment you are getting from the 550 and that she is in good hands for the long haul! Best regards to all.

18. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

It's really amazing how much of the same things we did in our restorations! Rob, you didn't mention the sodium valves but I'm sure you changed them. I also changed the jetting needles in the carbs, did you get into any of that? And yes, the car is so much more than a standard North American 308 it's hardly the same car. I don't think folks realize what a drag on the performance all the DOT stuff had!

19. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    This car is SOLD. Thanks to all for positive comments and support.

20. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  21. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Congrats Rob - it’s an outstanding car that I’m sure someone will really enjoy and appreciate. Did it go to an F-chatter?

Ruben