Auction - 1979 Ferrari 512 BB/LM ‘Silhouette’ by Pininfarina - One of 29 | FerrariChat

Auction 1979 Ferrari 512 BB/LM ‘Silhouette’ by Pininfarina - One of 29

Discussion in 'Cars' started by RMSotheby's, Aug 9, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RMSotheby's

RMSotheby's Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    RM Sotheby's
    Drive or Display: Ferrari Silhouette Racer Arrives in Monterey
    Classiche certified and accompanied by a spare engine, this Ferrari is equally adept on-track or on the showfield.
    Forest Casey | 05 August, 2022

Made to tackle the toughest endurance races in the world, Ferrari intended the 512 BB/LM to spread the gospel of the flat-twelve powerplant to privateers who wished to campaign a truly special car. One of a second series of production-based racers launched in 1979, this example features fuel injection on its 4.9-litre, DOHC, alloy engine, as well as a strengthened transaxle, new oil-cooling radiators, and upgraded brakes and suspension systems.

Today’s example is part of that desirable design evolution; a fully-fledged ‘Silhouette’ style racer straddling the line between road-car-based racer and bleeding edge purpose-built racer. Under exotic bodywork, a five-speed manual gearbox directs the 480-horsepower engine into action. As the thirteenth example of only 29 ever made, this 512 BB/LM is a racecar built for a true connoisseur of the golden era of production-based motorsports. Available next month as part of RM Sotheby’s Monterey 2022 auction, the next owner of this iconic Ferrari will get to make the ultimate decision: To drive this Ferrari on-track or to reserve it for concours.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

1979 Ferrari 512 BB/LM ‘Silhouette’ by Pininfarina
    Estimate: $2,800,000 - $3,200,000 USD

Certainly, this Ferrari was built for competition, appearing at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1979 and 1980. Further entries by privateers proved the relevance of this platform into the following decade. And yet, this example, chassis no. 29511, was chosen for preservation early in its life. Purchased by the brotherly duo of John and Bill Gelles of Chappaqua, New York, when new, this 512 BB/LM remained unraced while the siblings entered endurance races in Sebring and Daytona with a Porsche 924 and a Camaro in the GTO class. When both entries ended in engine trouble, the Gelles brothers knew that they had to return to their favorite brand if they wanted to race. The ‘Silhouette’ Ferrari was called into service in 1982, running at the Ferrari Club of America regional meet at Bridgehampton in May 1982. But the friendly competition between Ferrari collectors proved insufficient for the Gelles brothers.

By 1984, the brothers had experience with properly preparing a car for competition. Not content with the factory setup, they dispatched chassis no. 29511 to Lee Dykstra of Fabcar in Atlanta, the talented engineer who helped create successful silhouette Porsche 935 racers for the JLP racing team. Dykstra’s modifications included a revised suspension system and steering setup. After these changes, this prancing horse was ready for exercise.

Outings at IMSA GTP events, including the Coca Cola 500 at Lime Rock, the Camel Continental Double 3-Hour event at Watkins Glen, and the New York 500 KM at Watkins Glen, followed in 1984. For a racecar that was at that point nearly five years old, and with co-owner and amateur racer Bill Gelles taking a third of the driving duties along with Steve Cohen and Enzo De Pasquale, this was an impressive showing. And yet the finest hour for this Ferrari was yet to come.

For their greatest outing yet, the 1985 running of the 24 Hours of Daytona endurance race, the Gelles brothers knew they needed some additional firepower behind the wheel. Joining the Equipco-sponsored team in early 1985 was American driver Don Walker, who was a veteran of NASCAR, Can-Am, Midget, and Sprint Car racing. With Walker taking up the reigns from Enzo de Pasquale, no. 29511 achieved the best result for any 512 BB/LM at Daytona: 16th overall and 9th in class.

Comparatively, the next few years represented a victory lap of sorts for the 512 BB/LM. After the Gelles brothers sold no. 29511 to well-known, New York-based collector Anthony Wang in the mid-1980s, it participated in Joe Marchetti’s Chicago International Historic Races and the FCA National Meet, both held at Road America in 1988. Further outings followed the next year, including the FCA National Meeting and NART Reunion held at Stouffer’s Pine Isle Resort at Lake Lanier and Road Atlanta, before this chassis was sold on to Leslie and Leigh Keno.

Famous for their appearances on the popular PBS series Antiques Roadshow, the Keno brothers’ custodianship of this Ferrari encompassed both on-track and on-field outings at Brookline, Massachusetts’ prestigious Larz Anderson Museum in 2005. Two consecutive track appearances followed at the Monterey Historic Races in 2008 and 2009. After the second of its vintage racing stints in Monterey, this Ferrari was fitted with its spare engine, number 34. With its original powerplant easily accessible, the next owner of no. 29511 (its current consignor) was free to bring this rare racing Ferrari back into the state and status it deserves.

The work that followed was comprehensive: A thorough inspection by Ferrari in 2011 revealed that all the major factory-equipped components which were installed on no. 29511 originally, remain there today. The result of this certification is documented in the coveted Red Book from Ferrari, accompanying the sale, ensuring that all its mechanical components are numbers-matching. The consignor did not stop there, taking this example to the motorsports experts at Dennison International in Seattle, Washington. There, both the original Type F102 twelve-cylinder engine and its spare counterpart were treated to a thorough overhaul of all components courtesy of shop owner Butch Dennison. Four extra BBS wheels also accompany the sale, along with an extra racing nose. Having been invited to numerous events over the past decade, including four appearances at the Cavallino Classic and boasting official invitations to important Ferrari anniversary events in Beverly Hills and Pebble Beach, no. 29511 has conquered the concours circuit. Now, with its next on-stage showing set for RM Sotheby’s Monterey 2022 auction, it will be up to its next owner to decide whether to preserve this significant Ferrari for show, or to take it back to its natural habitat on-track. Which would you choose?

LVP488, technom3, SCantera and 5 others like this.
  2. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Supernaut likes this.
  3. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    That rear shot from down low....that's the business. What a car.

4. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    I bought two for $65,000 each in 1984-- ex Le Mans #34179 and ex Daytona/Sebring #34445 (?) ex Racing Horse Farm Racing.
    Would have been great 401ks....

vraa, Texas Forever, technom3 and 4 others like this.
  5. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I recall the last one built was for sale somewhere early 2000s I think with spare engine for 225K. I thought at the time that was a good deal. Never raced example.

6. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Eleven years ago there was a special Boxer that popped up here in FChat. I was not looking for a Boxer having owned one for 15 years. But this was a special BB. The BB/LM has 480 hp. My modified BB dyno'd at 471....and it's a street car. It's a beast!

Sorry to derail......I followed the BB/LM when they were campaigned. Unfortunately BB/LMs had to compete with Porsche 935s that by 1984 had 950 hp. And the BB has the engine over the transaxle resulting in a higher center of gravity. They were no match for the 935s from a power or handling aspect.

Texas Forever and Jack-the-lad like this.
  7. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    That sounds like a story worth hearing!

SCantera likes this.
  8. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    It is a gorgeous car. In 1993 I attended a vintage race at Mid-Ohio and a BB 512 was there. While taking photos of it sitting in the grass the owner asked if I would help him put the rear section of the body back on the car.
    It was so light and flexible.
    The sound was absolutely amazing.

9. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    For got to say that I drove chassis 38179 (1983LeMans #70) on the local streets and interstate a few times ---epic. My neighbors might not have been happy.

TexasMike, Texas Forever and k wright like this.
  10. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
  11. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    A different breed than myself collects race cars.By different breed I mean has a heck alot of more money and space :).

BigTex likes this.
  12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I recall (as posted above) when the blue Pioneer sponsered car was in a Ads in the back of Autoweek....Maybe $325K??

But as i was entering the market with $30K 308GTBs, it was as far away as a Space Shuttle!

Then, recall Medlin in Florida had a 512BB race car "in his barn" , no idea what became of that one!
    Good memories.

Did this car sell??