1981 QP III 5 Speed and 1986 QP III Auto | Page 14 | FerrariChat

1981 QP III 5 Speed and 1986 QP III Auto

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by William Abraham, Nov 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qp400i

qp400i Karting

Jun 17, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Igino
    Interesting stuff. I was wondering how the US emission system is 100 kgs heavy. Does the system include the air pump that EU car have? I removed the pump and mounted cats in stead of the front dampers, probably cutting altogether 10-20 kgs on my EU car. I thought Thor considered to remove the emission parts and convert to EU specs. In that case the car would loose those 100 (?) kgs. With implications for the front suspension settings.

2. VeloceOne

VeloceOne Karting

Jul 18, 2007
    It is the bumpers and related components that add the weight to the car.

3. qp400i

qp400i Karting

Jun 17, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Igino
    The visual difference between US and EU bumpers is small and I know from experience that the EU ones are VERY heavy, i.p. the rear one, so I do not expect differences in the order of 100 kg there. I will look at pictures of both cars to get acquainted with the differences.

4. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Hi I think the US bumpers have extra brackets and the shock impact structure missing on Euro cars. I suspect this weighs a bit. Plus they have a lot of extra pollution gear on the headers, cans, hoses etc. Not sure what this adds up to but would that show up on the vehicle weight stats in the US SUPPLEMENT

5. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    I spoke with David about the same thing, and we both concluded that there's no way that the US model weighs 100kg more than the Euro version. It may still require uprated dampers for whatever reason Maserati may have had (avoiding legal issues down the road, maybe thinking US versions would be run further/harder than EU ones, taking into account US obesity rates, who knows?), but the smog pump, canisters and brackets can't weigh more than 10kg all together.

The bumpers are identical, although there may be some additional impact absorbing components in the US version. Certainly not 80kg of material!

The service manual lists one kerb weight (1938kg) & tare (1975kg) only, not two.

So I think there is some other reason than front axle or total car weight for the uprated dampers.

6. qp400i

qp400i Karting

Jun 17, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Igino
    That was what I wanted to suggest Thor.

7. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #332 William Abraham, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #333 William Abraham, Apr 26, 2013
  9. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Almost every QP3 I see has somewhat different tailpipes.

Some have quad, straight cut. Some quad are cut at an angle.

Some regular dual exhausts are straight cut, some angled, you've got an oval going on there, someone recently posted a picture of pipes with the outer (decorative) skin removed.

I wonder what was standard, or if there even was one...

Your car looks good William. I'm still waiting for an update on mine, haven't heard much since he removed all the trim.

10. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Not sure what all of them were but the ovals on mine are stuck on decorative bits on an aftermarket stainless system. They do look good on the car when the bumper is on but I want to go for the more original large end unit.

11. qp400i

qp400i Karting

Jun 17, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Igino
    #336 qp400i, Apr 27, 2013
  12. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #337 William Abraham, May 8, 2013
    The ZF is coming together nicely. We had tried to time it to be done with the rest of the car but the work on the motor has not really started due to the cracked head on the 86 which is still not done.

Anyway, here are some progress snaps on the progress on the ZF.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Beautiful William,

looks brand new!

As I recall, there weren't a whole lot of manual versions made, you're lucky to have found one.

What's the latest on the heads? Sourcing new ones, or having the existing ones welded up?

And have you decided on a colour for your QP3? Doesn't look like that day is too far off...

14. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Great ongoing thread. Looks like an 86 QPIII might be joining our stables again! I'll keep you guys posted!

15. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #340 William Abraham, May 8, 2013
    Yes, I did a calculation of the numbers of manual cars year per year one one of these threads and if memory serves it was under 200. Hard to estimate the numbers out there but I suspect it is likely around 20 to 30 in useable condition.

On colour I am torn. I do like the Blue Sera and given rarity I should keep the car the same I suspect (although is seems not too many people care even with 3500s). Although I love this silver!!!

16. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Wow!! Lovely shade of silver, shame about the car (prototype for a Batmobile, maybe? LOL).

It is indeed a difficult decision, there are a lot of really great colours that compliment the car nicely.

Mine is halfway down to the metal, and so far looks very solid. I'll have to update my blog and post a few more pics there.

17. qp400i

qp400i Karting

Jun 17, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Igino
    William, was the housing of the ZF just cleaned/sanded or also sprayed with silver colour to get this result?

18. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Hi Here is what the process is. Can I get it done on my engine also.

Hi William

Part of my gearbox rebuild service is to use the latest state of the art media blast equipment.
    To clean the Aluminium casings I use a Ally oxide , and then the casings are polished with a glass bead media
    Then they are hot washed in my Industrial parts wash machine at 80 * C

The result is a as new condition
    I m just working on your gear selector at the moment to make it a nice positive gear change
    Will send you a couple more photos as the job progresses

Regards

Wayne

19. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #344 William Abraham, Jun 20, 2013
  20. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #345 William Abraham, Jun 20, 2013
  21. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #346 William Abraham, Jun 20, 2013
    Description from ALSA

A few more pics......I hope I have done the right thing as I wanted to move the work forward as we have a good 'head of steam' on her at the moment...........masked off, etch primed, high build primed and finally guide coated. I have used our standard light grey high build primer, which is fine for anything other than very bright silver, ultra pale green or ultra pale blue, (also modern three stage pearl finishes - but that was never an option anyway) hopefully you had ruled out bright silver?
    At least we can now get on with final sanding and stoppering up with a final primer coat still to go on and of course the panels to do next through to the same stage.

22. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Do I read this correctly, that they took the initiative to get the work moving forward, without a customer basically begging and pleading with them to get off their hind end? Good show.

23. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    The car in the first picture here is mine. The others are yours. Easy to mix them up ;-)

Good to see progress is being made. How's the engine rebuild coming? And more importantly, have you decided on a color?

24. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #349 William Abraham, Jun 21, 2013
    Strange on the pictures as it was what he sent. Mine is easy to see as it sits high with no motor. I think original blu sera met. I saw the pictures of the 5000 and it really is a pretty colour.

I think the 86 will be put up for sale to fund the work on the 81. I cant think that it will have made sense to fix it up but unless I close a few more projects.......

25. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    It's probably pretty easy for Al to get pics mixed up, they look almost identical. The main differences I see are the headlight buckets, front bumper mounting posts and of course the stance, as mine is too low due to the new dampers and yours is too high due to a missing engine.

Blu sera is a beautiful color, but I don't think the version on the 5000 will be the same as the QP3. It seems to me that the color changed between models. The 5000 blu sera seems a lot deeper and closer to black than f.x. the blu sera on my car or other Maseratis I've seen in this shade of blue.