1983 512BBi Chassis 48165 | FerrariChat

1983 512BBi Chassis 48165

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by samsaprunoff, Jun 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Just adding documentation...
    Cheers,

Sam

https://www.ebay.com/itm/512-BBi/183255625824?hash=item2aaae2f060:g:N34AAOSwL4lbE04-

1983 512BBi
    Color: Red with no Boxer Trim Exterior with Tan Interior
    Mileage: 17955 (km ?)
    VIN: ZFFJA09B000048165
    Chassis: 48165
    Buy It Now: $280K USD or submit offer

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Is that the normal ride height? Looks like it's set up for some offroading..

3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

It looks as if 48165 will be auctioned at Amelia this year... with no reserve!

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/am19/amelia-island/lots/r0055-1983-ferrari-512-bbi/735458

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. bjunc

bjunc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2023
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Robert
    For posterity, I am the current owner of this car. Purchased in Miami, FL this year (2023) – with 18,275 km on the odometer. It is my understanding that the 2019 purchaser lives outside the US, and had purchased the car with the intent on spending more time in Miami (where this car would stay). Covid hit, travel was restricted, and he ended up not spending the time in Miami as he had expected; which led to selling the car.

5. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Gorgeous car! Love the tan dash.

ag512bbi likes this.
  6. bjunc

bjunc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2023
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks, I like it too! Although I'll admit, there's a bit of a glare off the windshield. It doesn't really bother me though.

ag512bbi and 2dinos like this.
  7. bjunc

bjunc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2023
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Sam, would this be an appropriate thread to document upgrades / restoration? Happy to start a new thread, but I figured it might make sense to just keep going on this one.

8. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    True, most noticeable when pulling into a garage on a sunny day. Sunglasses help. After this observation, I noticed glare from a black dash if it had any shine.

The tan dash (imho) reminds me of concept cars and car show introductions.

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Robert,

There is no formal documentation format and so you can do as you see fit. When I find bits of info (listings, sales, auctions, etc) on a particular chassis I simply add the info/link to a particular car's thread if there is one and if not, then I create one but include the chassis number in the thread title. The thought was to minimize the number of threads saying virtually the same thing about a particular car. If I am doing a project and it is involved or has lots of details/pictures, then I create a separate thread with a suitable title reflecting the project/task, but always (try to) include my car chassis number or a link back to the documentation thread. This approach then maintains continuity with a particular chassis, but also may engage others based upon the project's thread title.

Cheers,

Sam

bjunc likes this.
  10. bjunc

bjunc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2023
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks Sam. I suppose I'll post high-level info here, but create individual threads for more specific / granular things.

11. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Robert, You inherited this thread. Consider it yours. Beautiful Car BTW. Funny, I own 48171. Our Boxers had to be pretty damn close to each other at some time at the factory.

12. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    48165 was completed 5 October 1983 (the only Boxer ompleted that day). Delivered new to Ferrari West Europe SA, Paris/F.
    48171 was completed 6 October 1983 (48163 was the second Boxer completed that day). First owner of 48171 Mr. Dhillon.

Marcel Massini

willrace, ag512bbi, ivo73 and 3 others like this.
  13. bjunc

bjunc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2023
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks! That would explain the yellow flash-to-pass. Unless I am mistaken, that would also explain the hex wheel nuts.

Can you explain why the door plaque says it was imported to the US in July 1983, if it was completed in October 1983?

14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    You mean the door jamb tag? It shows the "production month" but rarely actually corresponds with the real completion date. These tags were stamped weeks and months before a car was actually finished.
    Please post a photo of the tag in question. Thank you.

Marcel Massini

15. bjunc

bjunc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2023
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Robert
  16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #17 Marcel Massini, Oct 9, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
    That is NOT a factory tag, that is a self-made custom tag, done privately.
    Probably done for importation purposes. Not genuine and not original.

BTW, Wm. M. Lyon, Jr., and B. J. Lyon might be the same. B. J. Lyon is an fchatter. He imported a number of gray market BB's, often out of Belgium. Also had competition Boxers.

Marcel Massini

17. bjunc

bjunc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2023
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Interesting. Have you seen this before? Any idea why "imported on" would be months before the car was actually completed? I'm not super familiar with the gray market / federalization process at that time.

18. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Yes, seen several times on other US based Ferraris. Guaranteed not a factory tag.
    Google gray market, supercars and 1980s.

Marcel Massini

19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    48171 went through our dealer. I knew Mr Dhillon very well. He imported a lot of those

Marcel Massini likes this.
  20. bjunc

bjunc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2023
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Sorry, I was referring to not knowing why the gray market / federalization process would lead to a discrepancy between the date on the tag vs when it was completed. You might have already answered above with the "production month".

Anyway, thanks for the context. I find the backstories / provenance of these cars very interesting.

Marcel Massini likes this.