1985 308 GTS QV - hard/tight accelerator pedal | FerrariChat

1985 308 GTS QV - hard/tight accelerator pedal

Discussion in '308/328' started by coolferrari, Apr 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. coolferrari

coolferrari Formula Junior

May 10, 2001
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Cool Ferrari
    Over the last week, the accelerator pedal has become very hard to push. Lubricated / adjusted everything I could. Ok for a few days, but now back to as before getting worse with idle not coming back properly.
    I assume the cable is at fault here.
    So, how hard is it to pull the old one out and fit a new cable ? Any other things I should look at or tips before I start?

Cheers - Peter

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How does the linkage (butterfly) on the throtlebody feels when you move them by hand?

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Could be the throtlebody link, could be time to change the wire as it may be fraying./ When was the last time you changed the wire/link? Also, if you lubed the wire, i assume you used a motorcycle kit and forced the lubricaion all the way up/down the line.

4. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #4 barcheta, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
    It's not hard to replace but it's a whole lot easier if you can get the car up on a lift to feed the new line through. Sounds like you might have a frayed or crimped cable. Might be a good idea to check the throttle body linkage as Mike suggested.

5. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    +1 I had the same problem, my throttle cable was fraying and coming apart - can be a bit dangerous when this is happening and you're driving....

6. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    I experienced this ... no cable fraying ... inner sheath of the cable pulled out and bound at WOT one time. It was the end inside the car. 2V so could be different.