1987 TR: Performing Major Service - New Vacuum Hoses | FerrariChat

1987 TR: Performing Major Service - New Vacuum Hoses

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by xplodee, Jan 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hi All-

Curious where to buy new vacuum lines for my 1987 TR? My existing ones work fine but are old, grey and need to be replaced while I'm doing my major and detailing the engine bay.

Any suggestions on where to buy?

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what kind of vacuum lines?
    only the small ones ( those I think you my get in every car part store - so in germany ) or also the big one for the brake booster ( this you also may get at the parts store, I have at home about 20 meter )

3. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
  4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  5. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
  6. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    If your 1987 is a U.S. market car then the only cloth braided hoses are from the charcoal canisters to the plenums and the brake vacuum hoses. Sounds like you are talking about the plenum hoses. They are 4.5mm ID, 10mm OD (with a cloth braid), one is 1280mm long, the other is 1400mm long. There are plenty of aftermarket sources, these hoses are also common to VW & Porsche. All the other vacuum hoses are plain rubber 3.5mm ID X 8mm OD. The OEM for most hoses was Saiag but I've not found a way to buy direct from them.

He's the first source I found but there are plenty of others
    https://www.partsklassik.com/p-1258-hose-cloth-braided-45-mm.aspx?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=ShoppingFeed&utm_term=PLAs&utm_content=AllProducts&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAyrXiBRAjEiwATI95mcEpMmpQF1mVbXEl6l7P7fKcuxWR7pJv_brN6iO7eMbIetebbk_StxoCg4oQAvD_BwE

7. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I don't believe the above is true on all cars! My 87 had plenty of cloth covered hoses other places. Yes VW, Porsche use the same type of hose.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Air hoses, breather hoses and some fuel and evap hoses but not vacuum hose. Without looking I think he is correct about the actual vacuum hoses.

9. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Sorry everyone, it seems I've created some confusion. I'll try and figure out exactly what hoses I'm looking for.

turbo-joe likes this.
  10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Whatever it is rubber you can get anywhere.

Fabric braided go to :

T Rutlands
    GT Car Parts
    Belmetric
    Amazon
    Ebay
    Winzer
    Wurth

In other words, anyone who sells European car parts. Some sizes are a little easier than others but it is by no means rare or hard to get.

xplodee likes this.
  11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    For the small vac lines at the rear of the manifolds..go to your local audi dealer. The hose will be in stock. For the larger stuff, head on over to your local hydraulic store with a sample they should be able to find what you need. This stuff is not rare nor expensive.

turbo-joe likes this.
  12. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yes, was only speaking about the vacuum lines, though I may be incorrect.

Tim, several leads here, I'm sure you can find what you need. Best of luck with your project.