1989 328 Exhaust noise after shutdown | FerrariChat

1989 328 Exhaust noise after shutdown

Discussion in '308/328' started by Beard Bros., May 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    I am still new to my 1989 328GTS and was wondering if other 308/328 owners have the same noises in the exhaust system as I do when you turn the car off after a drive. My 328 exhaust is stock and it makes a lot of pinging/sizzling noises after shutdown. I am pretty sure it is the thermal expansion-contraction of the exhaust and shields that make these noises. I have taken temperature readings all over the exhaust system and everything seems to be within normal operating temps. I am running 91 octane non-ethanol fuel and there is a small amount of water that exits the exhaust under the muffler, just like every other car I own. Just looking for some feedback from other owners to set my mind at ease that I am not cooking something under there!

RitchieCunningham likes this.
  2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Yes, my Mondial 3.2 pops and clicks for quite sometime after shutdown. Normal. As you note it must be the thermal expansion, there are lots of pipes and joints to the muffler, all the sheilding, and the engine bay area does get quite hot due to the mid engine and exhaust proximity.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I love the way my 308 makes all those same noises as it cools.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  4. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    There’s nothing wrong with your car. My bone-stock ‘88 328GTB makes all kinds of metallic noises after shutdown as the exhaust system cools.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Although such noises are normal on any car, I have to say I haven't heard them on my '89 328. Maybe it's broken! ;)

Beard Bros. likes this.
  6. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    I am probably just driving mine '89 328 too fast, but that is what they are made for right!

7. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Completely normal, my 1989 does it after every drive.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Made a spin six or seven years ago with a guy who was driving a '89 swiss model GTB, so fitted with catalysator. Our two cars were cooling down after the drive on his garage ramp; his was doing pinging and sizzling and clicking while cooling down, my own "euro" '89 GTB, no catalysator, was cooling down in complete silence...
    Rgds

Beard Bros. likes this.
  9. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Get rid of that heavy restrictive piece of junk, buy a Tubi , and a test pipe and a K & N, that stock muffler along with that HUGE HEAVY cat is choking your motor to its death and making the motor and the motor compartment heat up like an oven...

Beard Bros. likes this.
  10. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Interesting as mine is a 1989 Australian delivered car (ie with a cat fitted as standard ) but I have taken the cat out.
    Mine still pings and sizzles on cool down.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  11. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    That's just all the snakes and spiders you collected on your drive getting cooked. :)

Beard Bros. and Rosey like this.
  12. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Hahaha, after I avoided all the kangaroos and koalas on the road.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  13. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes!

Beard Bros. likes this.
  14. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Glad you avoided the drop bears ;)

Beard Bros. and Rosey like this.
  15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Maybe the exhaust manifolds? Aside of the different routing of the tubes (on cars with cats, the rear manifold is reversed compared to cars without cats) the manifolds on cars with cats are wrapped with thermal isolation material inside a kind of metal doughnut: that device probably retains heat. Those on euro cars are not: the individual tubes for each cylinder are naked, what the brits call an "extractor manifold": the tubes probably cools down without retaining any heat...just saying...
    Rgds

Beard Bros. likes this.