1995 SS Rolex Daytona: Help with value | FerrariChat

1995 SS Rolex Daytona: Help with value

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Nuvolari, Nov 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #1 Nuvolari, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    I am trying to help a family friend determine the value of their Rolex Daytona that they wish to sell. Purchased new in Italy by the current owner back in 1995 they have the box and all of the original tags and papers. As you can see in the photos it has been worn quite a bit. According to the owner it has never been opened and 'might' have been polished once at Rolex. The watch is therefore very original and for sure in need of a servicing (although it keeps excellent time). Wanting to move on the owner would like to sell and I wondered if anyone can give me an indication to the value or other key things I should look for in determining what it is worth. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

BTW for anyone wondering the owner has no clue about the Paul Newman Daytona so there are no illusions about cashing in on the hype.

Here are a number of photos to judge on:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Almost 30 photos and nobody has an opinion?

3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I am not an expert and don't even own a Rolex, but in absense of expert input, you might find it useful to survey asking prices for comparable watches on Chrono24.com.

4. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
  5. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Would be interested to hear any offers your friend might get... I'm loosely in the market for a Daytona and would specifically favour one that's been "used" as I would be wearing it in the same way so don't want to pay a premium for an immaculate piece.

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Thank you all for your help and guidance. Just as an update this watch has now been sold for 15K Euro as is to a buyer in Milan.

7. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    That sounds like it was well sold.

8. speedyellow08

speedyellow08 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2012
    Houston,TX
    Wow... That is a great deal.

9. Jack & Jones

Jack & Jones Karting

May 9, 2006
  10. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
  11. Motorcitydriver

Motorcitydriver Karting

Aug 9, 2006
    Bloomfield, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I believe it was 2000

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  12. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Where did you advertise it? I'm thinking of selling my 1970 1680 Red Sub.

13. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The watch was un-advertised and I made this thread not to sell it but to understand the value. In the end the owner sold it on their own privately and used some of the help derived here to determine the price. For that they send their thanks and I offer my appreciation to those that contributed.

14. Carrerarsr

Carrerarsr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The cheapest 16520 daytonas in europe are 13000 to 15000 euros but they look way better than yours.
    Bring it to rolex , refurbish it, glass and body. Keep the dial etc and you get some good cash for the refurbished watch. Seeing a watch like this hurts my eyes.

15. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    cool that the original owner actually wore it !

16. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Close to 20$ I would say. I may be interested, is it still for sale?