1995 TR Odometer advancing on it's own ? | FerrariChat

1995 TR Odometer advancing on it's own ?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by SAFE4NOW, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    So, several years ago we had a 1995 TR in the shop for its engine out major. While it was here, the batteries were kept on a charger / tender. After the work was performed and the car was put back together again, detailed, we staged it for pick up by a transporter a day later.

Here is where is gets strange, the car only left the shop once and was driven on the " short route** " ( 3 miles ) to confirm repairs and check for leaks, etc. Then it sat in its spot , on a battery tender , until the transporter picked her up to go back to its owner. The same owner who called the day it was returned, yelling and screaming about how could we have put over 500 miles on it while in our possession?

There was a discussion and while I was 100% sure there was no way that happened , its hard to argue that the miles were indeed there. Cross checked BoL with our check in sheet, and the BoL when it was dropped off.
    We came to an agreement and that was it.

I never figured it out. I know the car sat on a lift , I know it never left the building much less the property , I have video proof of that.

That is until recently , another 1995 TR , engine out service , full detail, parked on the service drive, battery tender attached, in plain view, and on camera.. this time for several weeks.

SAME thing , over roughly 500 +/- miles have accrued , and I KNOW this car has not been driven anywhere close to that ...

So, Rifledriver , other experts, what am I missing? Is this a well known issue that I just didn't realize till now? What if anything can be done to make sure it doesn't happen again?

Crazy!

Steve

** We do have a longer route that is approx. 10 miles , all depends on the work performed and client request.

Melvok and turbo-joe like this.
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have heard of that before but not aware of the outcome. Id call Mo Ma Mfg in Albuquerque and ask them.

Melvok and SAFE4NOW like this.
  3. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    I've reached out , no word back yet, but will update as the mystery progresses.

Has anyone else even seen this happen?

I can't be the only one to have 2 ,maybe I am just lucky.

S

Melvok likes this.
  4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    On thing you could try is unplugging the odometer/speedometer sensor on the gearbox which might change the noise pick-up characteristics of the input side of the odometer/speedometer. May not work if whatever is happening is inside the odometer/speedometer itself, but easy enough to try ;). Is the odometer just rolling slowly forward continuously when charging or does it go it fast burst?

turbo-joe and SAFE4NOW like this.
  5. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Good point and easy to check!

As for the miles, it is not visably rolling to the eye, rather I know what the miles were a month ago , then when I went to drive the car, it was " 500 miles " higher and I know that it has not moved.

I am tracking it on a daily basis now, to see if I can catch the condition that it happens.

More to follow.

S

Melvok likes this.
  6. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    #6 Schulz308, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    :eek:You guys are on to something huge if this has been happening to many TRMs or even hundreds of TRs since 1992 or even hugerer if thousands of TRs since 1984.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I don't think it is common. I know of one or two instances prior to this over a very long time.

8. Xtreme5053

Xtreme5053 Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 20, 2006
    So when you say 1995, are you referring to the F512 M?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. spaceship

spaceship Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    S. Chan
  10. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K