1997 Black/Tan F355 Spider | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1997 Black/Tan F355 Spider

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by Aeroengineman, Jul 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Reborn996

Reborn996 Rookie

Apr 18, 2009
    #26 Reborn996, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    Dave, this is very strange how Carfax changed... Of course none of that is point in your direction since it happened prior to your ownership. And it was your reputation and the pictures of your car that really interested me. However, if the Carfax shows it as salvage/rebuilt that will always make it a harder sell and still effects resale value from my experience. I am sure for the right buyer the condition and service you have performed will make it a non issue... but for me it is a risk for any potential resell that I would do that I cannot take. Good luck on your 458 by the way! :)

By the way, one of the reasons this concerned me so much and would anyone who sees the carfax is that this happened in 1999 with only 1,720 miles on the car... in order to be salvage with a practically new Ferrari it would have been significant damage. If you have pictures or anything from the previous owners that could explain what happened that would help ease the conscience for potential buyers. Just my $.02

David

2. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    David,

Today there would have been pictures all over the internet but in 1999 it was before the wide use of digital photography. I don't know the insurance company nor the original owner and since no accident report was filed, I can only assume the wealthy first owner must have had some sway over his insurance carrier to eat the car on a minor claim.

Its notable my CARFAX from 2002 shows no Salvage auction either, along with no reported damage.

I know the guy was a fanatic about not having a radio because he special ordered the car without it as he was a purist in the sense that he didn't think exotic sports cars should have radios and you were meant to listen to the engine. I would think anybody that thinks like that, would not want the car after its nose had been put in the water and if he had enough financial horsepower, and with a bruised driving ego, could get the insurance company to take it.

Having detailed the suspension all around there is no sign of any structure being altered and the car aligns perfectly just like any other F355 all the fenders and lids and headlight buckets are perfectly aligned, so I have to believe the story from the second buyer.

Good luck on your quest for a F355.

Dave

3. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Was it salt water or fresh water? It doesn't take much for a insurance company to total out a car that's been a little wet.

4. Aeroengineman

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    The car was licensed by the owner in Missouri - so that would have been clearly Fresh water. The salvage title was created in York Haven, PA which is well up the Susquehanna river but not sure if it was driven there or that was where the insurance company was. If the incident occurred in York Haven, most likely was fresh water also. There certainly has never been any sign of corrosion or rust on the forward parts that would have occurred had it seen salt water. There has never been an electrical problem with any of the forward lights etc. There was a problem with circuit #24 which goes forward but re-seating the fuse for that circuit seems to have fixed the problem.

Fortunately in the northwest we don't have salted roads like they do in the east and Midwest and I've always keep it in a heated garage and since I've owned it for most of its life this car probably has less salt exposure than most and looks pretty pristine from the bottom side also.

5. Rich.Organic

Rich.Organic Karting

Apr 11, 2013
    Caribbean
    Just met Dave and his Ferrari 355 this week - the car was absolutely pristine and drove straight and true. I've had reservations about convertibles before, as they make god awful shaking noises etc. All I can say about Dave's was it certainly did not.

I had not seen F chat in a couple of weeks and Dave told me all about the salvage title. He was up front and honest throughout.

As a result, I remain interested in the car and it's certainly on my list of possible cars to consider as my first Ferrari.

Dave - thank you, great car; great guy. My GF says thanks for fantastic ride!

6. F1moving

F1moving Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 7, 2014
    BUCKeYe!
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Leaving "salvage" off the listing might be ok if it is thought of as "ancient history" as you say, however most banks wont loan on a salvage car so it is critical info. Not to mention, there are people that would never buy a salvage car like myself. I wouldn't buy a Camry with a salvage title let alone a Ferrari. Salvage cars are worth about 60% of their clean counterpart. Your always having to tell a story about that nasty scarlet letter "A"........errr.....ahhhh "S" I mean. Good luck with the sale.

7. Aeroengineman

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    If you take the price range for all F355 Spiders per Cars.com its $77K-$42K or an average of $59.5 - and 60% of that is $35.7K. How much credit do I get get to add for better than average condition, Concours history? $5K? I'm asking $9.3K. I'll bet there are a number of those F355s generating the low end of the range i.e. $42K that are pretty rough with "Stories".

At this point it isn't about the money - I want to see the car go to someone who really appreciates it for what it is and not what some Erroneous CARFAX report says it is, and I'll price it fairly to that individual and give him a lot of extra F355 goodies I have in my shop drawer. I have the advantage of not having to sell this car when my 458 Spider arrives, so I have time to wait for the right buyer to come along.

8. F1moving

F1moving Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 7, 2014
    BUCKeYe!
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    I agree.........nice looking car. You just have to sell around that one hiccup.

9. Aeroengineman

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    Had I been more up to speed on the original history of the car, I would have been able to Totally Rebut CARFAX and their BS history on my car. I looked at my file from 12 years ago and found the repair order to fix whatever happened to the car from the water incident and the total cost was only $3063.75 at Ferrari of Denver with 1714 miles on the car in Oct 1998 - Ask yourself how do you total a car worth $149,000 sticker in 1997 with a repair costing only $3K?

This was obviously a sham transaction between the owner and his insurance company to get the owner out of the car for whatever reason. No wonder there was no accident report filed, or any record of damage.

The current CARFAX report says "Severe Damage" that's PURE B.S. - $3063.75 cannot be severe damage.

The work order at Ferrari of Denver said they removed seats and door panels and re-lubed everything and ran fans over the weekend to dry it out and cleaned all the connectors with Stabilant 22, replaced the starter and changed all the fluids in the car - so something happened to the car - but nothing as significant to warrant a Salvage and Rebuilt Title.

I admit this classifies as a "Story" but no reason to significantly discount the car in its current state. I should have been more on my game to call out CARFAX!!!

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #35 BigTex, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2014
    You can certainly contest an erroneous CARFAX.
    :D :D :D

It sounds like your science is tight, on the water incident.

Get the paperwork on that together and have it ready for a potential buyer.
    Anyone in Colorado that maybe could find the original owner?

Is his name on the Repair Order?
    You have recently called this dealership about this???

FWIW I agree with your stance, it sounds like he just ran thru a rain puddle....

11. Aeroengineman

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    #36 Aeroengineman, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2014
    Thanks for your comments Big Tex.

The paperwork on the repair order has the Name blanked out - which is not unreasonable.
    I haven't recently called the dealership, but several years ago, I found out that Dave Helms did the repair 15 years ago when he was at Ferrari of Denver when I was researching the Gold Pin Kit. Dave said there was more he wanted to do to the car from a preventative standpoint being as fastidious as he is, but the insurance company wouldn't pay for it at the time. He could not remember what that was but I think in the 15 years since the second owner and I must have discovered whatever that was. In the last two or three years the car has been pretty bullet proof operationally as the repair history at Ferrari of Seattle will show.

Dave Helms and I agree all F355s need his "gold pin kit" because Ferrari connectors at this age regardless of mileage need replacing. In looking at the 1998 service report, the Motronic had a issue and it was replaced along with the starter and solinoid remove and lube and replace (presumably under warranty) because only $140 parts (fluids) and $130 in EPA were charged to the insurance company - I know this to be true because I have the latest MOD 4 Motronic in the car and I didn't pay for it.

12. tedr

tedr Rookie

Feb 25, 2014
    This sounds like a flood car. I think water just needs to get into the passenger area to be considered a flood car. Insurance companies got into some trouble in the past by not disclosing or totaling cars that were flooded, regardless of the repair costs. This incident happened well in the past for this car and was cleaned/fixed and taken care of. Enough time has passed to show there are no long lasting effects. Unfortunately there is a blemish on the title that can not be removed. The seller is offering a great car at a reasonable price. GLWS

13. FerrariMack

FerrariMack Rookie

Feb 11, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Noel Mack
    Is this car still "for sale" ?

14. Aeroengineman

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    #39 Aeroengineman, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I put it on Ebay 10 days ago and the auction closed Sunday. Final bid Price was $42,100. I had a firm bid from Ferrari of Seattle to correct the two issues with the car plus do the belts cam seals plus put in the complete gold pin kit - in other words the car would be bullet proof for the new buyers ($10,800). There were two finalists within a $100.

So effectively the car sold for $52,800 fresh from a heavy visit from one of the best Ferrari service departments in the World. If you factor a discount for mileage at 20,000 miles above the mean give or take $10,000 - that would put its adjusted sale price at $$62,800 -

I would argue if you factored a less than perfect title issue considering that the car is cosmetically near perfect at most the CARFAX effect was worth about $10,000.

I personally think the buyer got a great deal because of it, but I'm sold on Ebay!!! It greatly improved the exposure of the car over Cars.com where I had NO responses.

Comments anybody?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Only commenting because you invited it. :)

While it was a nice car, "Cosmetically near perfect" is an overstatement IMO. I can see several issues within the interior - via your pictures. it does not make it a bad car. My car has an even better interior and I would not describe it that way. That's one issue with people's opinions - expectations vary.

Given the whole situation, I think $42K was a good deal for you.

16. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Glad you got it sold and if you are happy with the price and the buyer is happy with the price then no adjustments needed. It sold for what you both were willing to agree to. On to bigger and faster things!!

17. MMB

MMB Rookie

Sep 28, 2016
  18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  19. MMB

MMB Rookie

Sep 28, 2016
    My father was the first owner of the car. On a whim I decided to try and find out what happened to the car, ran across the thread.

20. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    What happened to the car?

Did it actually go under from a flash flood? I had a car do that once. It was in a shop when a water sewer got clogged in a flash flood. 100% under water.

That was 2002. I still have the car.

21. MMB

MMB Rookie

Sep 28, 2016
    The car (vin ending in 7774) was purchased new at Ferrari of Denver. A local "broker" who assisted with the purchase ran an independent shop in Merriam, KS where the car was located at the time of the flood. My father was out of town at the time. I understand the car was on a lift but floodwaters rose higher than anyone could have imagined in that part of town and the car flooded. I can't tell you exactly how far the water got. I'm glad to see the car is still out there, it's a beauty.