2,600 miles in my Dino | FerrariChat

2,600 miles in my Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by Bluebottle, Jul 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Although I have also posted in Silver about this adventure (because of the high non-Dino / Ferrari / car content in the many photos), and, in instalments, in the "Did you drive your Dino today?" thread as I went along, I thought I would gather together here my random thoughts specific to driving the Dino, and would be interested to hear what other owners think of the comments I have made.

Over the last fortnight, I have spent the equivalent of somewhere between two and three days sitting in the driving seat of my Dino, covering over 2,600 miles of all types of road in England, France and Italy. It has been a wonderful experience, not least because of the amazing day spent at Ferrari in Maranello, in the company of 160 other Dinos and their owners. It has also been a great way of really getting to know my car better.

I would like to start by quoting a passage from a biography of Enzo Ferrari which I have been reading during my travels, and which sums up for me what makes the Dino one of the most important cars in Ferrari’s illustrious history.

“Over the company’s first 20 years, the road cars had become bigger and bigger: for all their sophistication, the 365GTB/4 Daytonas were what the Americans called “muscle cars”. The Dino represented a return to the scale of the early 166 models. It carried the name of a championship winning formula 1 car, and its low Pininfarina body made it look like something that would be at home racing in the Targa Florio, or around the Nurburgring. And it was the first of a series of cars which, more effectively than any of the other memorials, would carry the name of Ferrari’s dead and much beloved son into the consciousness of future generations.”

I would suggest that perhaps “muscle cars” is not quite the right description for Ferrari’s front-engined V12s - not because they lack muscle-power, but because “grand tourers” might more apt. Either way, the Dino is a SPORTS CAR – light, nimble and responsive, if maybe not so very fast in a straight line as its bigger bretheren.

It is not therefore really the car of choice for a 2,600 mile trip that included a fair amount of motorway driving – my 550 would have been far more suitable – but I have to say that it acquitted itself very well, cruising happily at around 4,500 rpm on the motorways and then really coming into its own on the back roads to which I was able to resort from time to time, particularly on my return journey.

Luggage capacity is excellent for one (it took half of my 550’s luggage set, plus two folding chairs and an assortment of useful odds and sods), though I dare say that if I had had a passenger I might have thought differently (my wife very sensibly took the ‘plane). I would also have found the cabin a bit cramped – travelling alone, I was able to use the passenger seat as somewhere to toss jacket, hat, ‘phone, books, water supplies etc. with gay abandon - not sure where I would have put them if there had been a passenger.

One of the Dino’s greatest strengths, especially when lane-changing on the motorways, or reversing into tight spaces, is the amazing all-round visibility. I pitied the pilot of an Aventador whom I met at a petrol station along the way – heavens only knows how he can see over his shoulder.

Despite being a shade over 6 feet tall and not having short legs / long arms, I found the Dino remarkably comfortable, even after several hours at the wheel. Although the seat backs are short, they support me in exactly the right places.

The way the lights switch works and the relationship between it and the indicator switch, leave a certain amount to be desired, to say the least. I cannot understand the logic of pushing the lever down to go up to full beam – several times I did the more natural thing and pushed it upwards, only to plunge myself into darkness. And I cannot count the number of times I either dazzled an onlooker, or left myself in the dark, when intending to signal a left or right turn, respectively!

If there is one thing for which I would have given a king’s ransom during my journey (in 30/35 degrees under a never relenting sun), it is air-conditioning and an efficient ventilation system. Despite having all windows and quarterlights open wide, and the fan constantly blowing towards my feet, I always emerged from the car doing an excellent impression of a wet rag!

A Dino attracts attention wherever it goes, and positive attention at that – everyone loves it, and can’t get enough of it, even when travelling at 80 mph, from lorry drivers hooting and waving, giving me the thumbs-up, to the passenger in one car who stuck a large telephoto lens out of his window while overtaking me on the autostrada near Bologna. At service areas all through France and Italy, especially Italy, it always attracted a crowd of enthusiastic onlookers, full of questions (including “can I sit in your car?”, to which the answer was always “yes, or course!”) and brandishing their mobile phones in camera mode – if I had a £ for every photograph taken of my Dino along the way, it would have funded the entire trip!

The Dino is not without its faults (I would love a gearbox like the one in my 911, or even the much maligned Moss box from my E-type), but it is undoubtedly one of the all-time great cars and I feel immensely privileged to own one.

One photo sums up the excitement of the journey for me:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

but if you do have an appetite for photos of all sorts (a lot of non-Dino content), my daily albums of the trip can be found by following these links:

1. https://photos.app.goo.gl/bTb9skUjfE2eigEg9

2. https://photos.app.goo.gl/DMzEVAh4qRN59xYC7

3. https://photos.app.goo.gl/DcaDxatqKeBnWRKN7

4. https://photos.app.goo.gl/YZQW9B5rknwMwqcD9

5. https://photos.app.goo.gl/p2WEhGhWFXUWTBnX7

6. https://photos.app.goo.gl/jYeBBHzsoffdyKQQA

7. https://photos.app.goo.gl/NanzhQAVG4PAhrHN6

8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/8taJot1kvSDkJECi9

9. https://photos.app.goo.gl/JsQ7XppY6TgxvPdE7

10. https://photos.app.goo.gl/KV49CnTHNdoYCe9h9

11. https://photos.app.goo.gl/1utRWoXewPyKdTsV9

-K1-, Sergio Tavares, Mang and 6 others like this.
  2. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    nice trip with your Dino John... lovely….

LARRYH and synchro like this.
  3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    If it hadn't been for your effort in organising the event at Maranello, it would never have happened. Many, many thanks, Matthias.

synchro likes this.
  4. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Superb journey ,thanks for sharing.Beautiful cars,countryside,food,wine,views,history...etc etc.Epic.:)

synchro likes this.
  5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #5 synchro, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Thank you very much for sharing your experience with the rest of us who could not attend. It is wonderful to see these cars being driven and having mileage being put on them. You drove more in a week than many owners put in 5 years and I am certain that the car runs better than ever because of it.

LARRYH and Bluebottle like this.
  7. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    John - I pretty much echo your thoughts though of course my GT4 does have air conditioning though it doesn't amount to much. Heading north it was fine, with the sun behind, but heading south it just couldn't cope with the radiator effect of the windscreen.
    Crossing paths in Vezelay was an extraordinary coincidence and one of the highlights of my 2,450 mile trip. Sadly the next morning I started to get some very nasty noises from the transmission and although I made it to Le Mans for the Classic weekend I decided it would be better to have the car trailered home from there, which I did, arriving home at 03.00 last Tuesday morning.
    Subsequently it appears the primary input shaft bearing on the inside of the gearbox has failed meaning an engine out job. t could have been much worse but means I won't have the car for at least 4 weeks which is shame as I had a lot planned for July. But I am thankful I managed the 2450 miles which was the big objective.

Love the pic of your car at the old entrance. Is that the official one? If so how did you get it. I need mine.

Francis

8. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Sorry to hear of your woes. Yes, the photo came from Matthias - I asked him for it.

9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Actually that wasn't me! Lots of people, lots of cars, easily confused.:)

Yes, it is amazing and very Italian that it is tucked away on a farm in the middle of nowhere, and not even a charge for entry!:):)

10. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred

11. s3swiss

s3swiss Rookie

Nov 20, 2015
    I did the same trip in my '77 GT4 but starting from North Scotland and including a wedding in Devon on the way home meant my mileage ended up 3200ish. No faults or issues and plenty of chances to enjoy the noise with the windows down the entire way (see above posts re temps / sun / no or poor ac !). Loads of luggage room and not too bad on fuel when cruising along on the motorways. Will have the memories forever - the parade laps around Fiorano especially. Will add my 'gate' pic later.

Bluebottle likes this.
  12. Bazza

Bazza Rookie

May 9, 2015
    I'm about to do about 2000 miles across Europe.
    What spares would you recommend?
    Yes, the car has been serviced!!!

13. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I didn't take any.

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The best thing about a Dino is you can buy a Pizza in Italy, put it in the boot, drive to England and it will still be warm. :)

-K1- and tonka249 like this.
  15. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Only warm?:D

16. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    ...and only mildly redolent of tasty unburnt hydrocarbons!

17. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Oil - my car used about 2 litres in 2540 miles and all the seals were new so it wasn't leaking, radweld (just in case), the original toolkit and jack - has all you need, a spare set of plugs, lots of cleaning stuff. Electric tyre pump with pressure gauge.
    The only bits I used were the oil and the cleaning stuff!

18. red tommy

red tommy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Great car ... beautiful colour ... interesting Trip ....
    Many thanjs for sharing the Images

19. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    Theres something so special about seeing that car on the side of one of those country roads in Europe. Very cool! Thanks for posting.

20. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    My pleasure - glad you enjoyed them.

21. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
  22. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    It is the Collezione Umberto Panini - you can read about it at http://www.paninimotormuseum.it/

The nucleus of the collection are the exhibits from the Maserati factory museum, opened in 1965 when the Orsis owned Maserati, which De Tomaso (owner of Maserati before Fiat) put up for sale in 1996, after Fiat had bought the business, but declined to buy the museum cars. There are other makes represented, too, but Maserati is the main feature.

It is housed on the Panini family farm (as you can see from my photos, it is in a building tucked away behind the cowsheds), in the countryside between Modena and Maranello. It is well worth a visit - they don't even charge for entry!

23. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Wow, thank you. Can’t beleive I missed that when in Maranello a couple of years ago. Next time...

24. Bazza

Bazza Rookie

May 9, 2015
    Took oil and a couple of spares. Didn’t use anything. Car behaved impeccably.
    Bought the Pizza. Nicely baked!!!

25. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    We need to see pics!