2001 456 GTAM - Purchase or Pass | FerrariChat

2001 456 GTAM - Purchase or Pass

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by JAS12, Aug 8, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JAS12

JAS12 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    JAS
    Looking to purchase a 2001 456 GTAM from an estate. The executor does not have any history on the car and due to family members fighting it is difficult to get a PPI. The executor feels that obtaining a PPI may be valuable getting a higher price for the car but timing, money and the lawsuit are holding things back. The car has 49599 miles and they will sell it as is for $35,000. The car is in great shape physically and when I heard it run, it appears to sound good. Unfortunately when they stored it inside they never disconnected or put a charger on the battery and now it is dead. For the price there is a part of me that says “go for it” and another part of me that says “run Forrest run!” as I don’t know any service or maintenance history. I am also looking at a 308GT4 for $55,000 that is well sorted. They are two different animals all together and I do prefer the manual trans vs auto. Plus I think the 308GT4 will go up more in value…granted I’m not looking to sell or flip either of them. Any and all opinions on the 456 would be greatly appreciated. Would you buy or run?

Texas Forever and Ryan S. like this.
  2. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I know nothing about the ins and outs of GT4 ownership or restoration other than they have been on a tear lately in value and strong sales. Perhaps some incredible outliers or just the market is strong, but if its a good car and appeals to you 55k is likely a good investment...

A 35k 456mGTA is likely a great price for a runner and could be a wonderful deal, if the car is in even better shape. Good GTAs have been drawing solidly into the upper 60s as of lately. Its not hard to put a few thousand (or more) into bringing up to what it needs.

People seem to love the GTA for what it is. And it does a great job as an automatic GT car. As far as the platform, I love my GT, the car is wonderful

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I learned an expensive lesson NOT doing a PPI (not my Ferrari - that $500 PPI was worth it as it told me the easy list would cost $20k…..knowing is better than not knowing)..

i will never again buy something “vintage” without a PPI….unless I truly believe the price is “parts value”.

paulchua likes this.
  4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    At that price, buy it and have it towed to your Ferrari tech.

paulchua, Laserguru, Ryan S. and 2 others like this.
  5. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    I would probably take the 308 personally (though also have very limited knowledge on the model), but at $35k, you will have a lot of money to sort the car out before getting to market value for a sorted car. You would spot a lot of the most obvious stuff that would cause a no-sale - mold, water staining, rust, major paint issues, broken glass, won’t start, engine smokes, suspension is seized up, car won’t move.
    Anything short of those, well, $20k buys you a lot of work to get to “a nice driver”. You might spend more than $20k to sort out *everything*, but even with a PPI the to-do list on any 456 will not be “$0” unless you want something much more expensive.

6. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick

The first retort to all that is how much do you plan to work on either car yourself and how quickly do you expect to enjoy it in the road.

7. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    dr mike's rear ended gated 456 sold for $30k if i recall correctly on coparts

$35k is a worthy risk

fwiw, my mom had one for a bit. outside of the air conditioning and CEL light issues it was a nice ride. buy some black tape....

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Damn CELs

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    How long ago did you hear it run? If we're talking about a year or so, I think it's definitely worth the risk, if you have any interest in it. Now, if it's been like 5 years, the risk goes up a lot. It's a great price even if it has some issues. The 456 is pretty easy to work on. I'm jealous!

10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    thing would throw codes for oxygen sensors and misfires like a champ

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. Miner64

Miner64 Rookie

Dec 28, 2020