2009 f430 | FerrariChat

2009 f430

Discussion in '360/430' started by Motoguzzi, Oct 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Motoguzzi

Motoguzzi Rookie

Oct 4, 2018
    Florida
    Does anyone know the how many 2009 f430's were produced with manual transmission and delivered to the U.S.? Thanks

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Ferrari doesn't publish those numbers, so they are not available. You can rest assured it is a very small number. I'm sure a few year will speculate. ;) Ferrari did say that they only produced around 9% of cars in that time period with manual transmissions. And in 2009, much of 430 production was in Scuderias and 16Ms.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I think the last 430 manual was built in 2007. The last Ferrari that had the manual option from what I understand was the California with 3 built.

4. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    There is an owner in WA state with a F430 spider with a manual transmission that was manufactured in Dec 09 or Jan 10...he ordered it new, and according to his research, was likely one of the very last manual 430s produced. IIRC the story goes that Ferrari tried to get him to change to an F1 for several weeks but he insisted on sticking with the order as entered.

driller1 and whatheheck like this.
  5. Motoguzzi

Motoguzzi Rookie

Oct 4, 2018
    Florida
    I read that 30 were produced in 2009 I can’t seem to find anything very credible thanks for your response.

6. Motoguzzi

Motoguzzi Rookie

Oct 4, 2018
    Florida
    They built 2008, and 2009 however can’t find much information other than the cars that are for sale in open market right now.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    There is a guy on this site who has an 09, definitely very few were made.

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Interesting..thanks..

9. johnfe

johnfe Karting

Dec 22, 2016
    SoCal Usa
    Full Name:
    John F Edwards
    tbakowsky:

I have a 2009 Ferrari F430 GT Spider and so does Ken458 who is also on this forum. He is the only other owner of a 2009 Ferrari F430 GT Spider that I'm aware of at present I spoke with Ken458 a couple days before I flew to Salt Lake City in 2017 to purchase the one I own and according him he knows of 2 other ones, and f355spider knows of one more. So that makes a total of 5, which could possibly be all there is. If there is more out there I would guess probably only 2 or 3 more. I've never heard about a 2009 F430 GT Coupe or Berlinetta, which would make it extremely if there is one that exist in the USA.

johnfe

10. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    What's a F430 GT? Grand Tourismo I'm guessing? Don't know that model. I'm missing something...

11. johnfe

johnfe Karting

Dec 22, 2016
    SoCal Usa
    Full Name:
    John F Edwards
    Hi RedTaxi:

I'm thinking if you gave it more thought you'd probably have gotten it. GT = 'Gated Transmission' and who you may ask uses this to differentiate their vehicles from an F1 vehicle? Why Ferrari does, so if Ferrari calls their F430's 'F430GT' for their Gated Transmission models verses the 'F430F1' for their 'F1 Transmission' vehicles, I decided that was good enough for me. So instead of referring to my vehicle as a Manual Transmission or a 6 speed manual vehicle as many on this forum do, I thought I might as well use the the proper abbreviation as it appears that's how Ferrari has decided to designate this vehicle. The mistake I made on this forum was typing F430 GT where I should have typed F430GT. If I knew how to edit my post I would.

I learned this when I saw the label that Ferrari had attached to the Bag which holds the car cover, seat covers and steering wheel cover. Please see the attached photo which shows the label that Ferrari had attached to my bag. As a result of this I thought this designation would make for a good custom license plate. Unfortunately California doesn't allow 8 alpha numerics for their custom plates so instead of 09F430GT the 09 for a 2009 model, I had to settle for 9F430GT. But I still think it gets the point across.

Regards,

John E. aka johnfe Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. johnfe

johnfe Karting

Dec 22, 2016
    SoCal Usa
    Full Name:
    John F Edwards
    RedTaxi & Administrator:

I apologize for the double posting of the same picture I didn't intend to do that, nor did I intend to have these pictures inset into the dialogue. Just having them as attachments would have sufficed. If I knew how to edit my post I'd remove the picture which is shown twice. Administrator of forum please feel free to remove one of the pictures which is shown twice.

Thanks,

johnfe

13. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #13 f355spider, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    The GT nomenclature was only used on the 430 race cars, which were all F1 transmission.
    I think you may be taking this tag a little too literally.

efg2014 and Flea7 like this.
  14. johnfe

johnfe Karting

Dec 22, 2016
    SoCal Usa
    Full Name:
    John F Edwards
    f355spider: I think you should apply Occam's Razor more often in your thinking. Sometimes the simplest and most logical answers are the most correct. So how was it I got a race cars bag with my vehicle which just happened to be a Gated Transmission vehicle? So why was the GT added to the tag for my vehicle, and what does it represent?? What I'm saying actually makes the most sense.

For example when I read from multiple sources that say the same thing over and over about the F1 Transmissions compared to the Manuals which last longer and have far fewer maintenance issues, I tend to think perhaps there is something to it or it wouldn't be noted over a period of time from many different sources that all arrive at the same conclusion. Of course, there can always be outliers, and exceptions, to every general rule.

So please enlighten all of us as to what the GT was supposed to represent in the F1 transmission race cars??

Thanks,

johnfe

15. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The GT does not refer to the transmission. Ferrari have never used that term for a manual gearbox and certainly not on the F430: it is F430 or F430 F1.

The GT in this case refers to the configuration of parts within the red bag and more specifically the type of seat fitted to the car. There are multiple permutations:

F430 Spider with standard seats (non-fleeced lined indoor car cover with standard seat covers);
    F430 Spider with sports seats (non-fleeced lined indoor car cover with sport shaped seat covers);
    16M (non-fleeced lined indoor car cover with scuderia seat covers);

F430 with sports seats (fleece lined indoor car cover with standard seat covers);
    F430 with standard seats (fleece lined indoor car cover with sport shaped seat covers);
    Scuderia (fleece lined indoor car cover with scuderia seat covers).

16. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I had actually worked out you meant gated transmission I just hate that term. I was being a little sarcastic. To me they are Manual or F1. But we can call them whatever we like. :)

17. johnfe

johnfe Karting

Dec 22, 2016
    SoCal Usa
    Full Name:
    John F Edwards
    mwstewart:

First let me state I've followed your posts and have seen all the detailed work you have done on your vehicle and love the way you "Tom Sawyered" (recruited) the assistance of your Father and girlfriend (maybe wife) to help you with your efforts. LOL! Well done.

That being said, perhaps you can enlighten me further. So where did the term 'Gated Transmission' come from anyway? I thought that was synonymous with Manual Transmission Ferrari's??

So you say it has to do with the seats and their covers, correct? So which seats is the GT referring to and exactly what does the acronym 'GT' actually stand for when referencing those seats.

And lastly why wouldn't they simply use the tag F430GT to refer to all the parts that would go to the manual transmission vehicles verses the F1 vehicles, and the Tag got attached to the bag as it would also be attached to other parts as well?

One would think that Ferrari might consider using a designation for their manual transmission vehicles to seperate them from the F1 vehicles? For example if I'm in the market to buy a used Ferrari F430 Manual Transmission vehicle if I designate I want to buy a F430 will I be shown only manuals?? The answer is no, I'll be shown a lot of F1 vehicles even though I didn't designate Ferrari F430 F1?

By doing this they couldn't have made it more difficult if they tried to!

You know what I'm speaking of, if I'm looking to buy a manual I'll find many F430's listed as manuals even though they are actually F1 vehicles. So to end this confusion it seems reasonable that Ferrari may have a proper designation for labeling an F430 as their Manual Model?

So again which seats is the GT designating and what does the 'GT' stand for in this particular circumstance?

If Ferrari didn't use the GT short for 'Gated Transmission' they should have (or used some other designation) to indicate it's a Manual Model, because it would have made things a lot easier to easily tell the 2 models apart!

Thanks for your input,

johnfe

18. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hello John,
    I'm not sure where 'gated transmission' came from. Technically the shift mechanism has an open gate not the transmission, but I know what the saying means when I hear/read it. I haven't heard the term until recently but then I am across the pond where these cars are either 'manual' or 'F1'.
    GT refers to the standard seats. The meaning isn't explicit anywhere in the Ferrari system that I've come across but GT generally always means 'Grand Touring' i.e. more comfort orientated than the sports offering (though I've found in reality the opposite is true). The parts info is attached.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The GT part is used on the label as it is one of the differentiating factors - the others being coupe/spider and GT/sports/Scuderia seats.

At the time these cars were launched/built it was all about F1 and for Ferrari I think this was one of the key marketing and technical offerings, and likely more profitable, hence the F1 was given its own designation rather than the manual. These days I suspect it would be the opposite way around!

I have the same experience of incorrect listings; its sellers being opportunistic or simply unaware.

Regards,
    Mark

f355spider likes this.
  19. johnfe

johnfe Karting

Dec 22, 2016
    SoCal Usa
    Full Name:
    John F Edwards
    mwstewart: aka Mark,

Hello Mark,
    Thanks for taking the time to explain this in detail to me. This is really my first experience with owning a sports car that wasn't of a British heritage. My first experience was with a 1957 Jaguar 3.4 Liter black Sedan with red leather interior that my Father bought in Japan while he was stationed there after serving in the Korean War. He only bought it after the BMW he wanted wasn't available. Dad was a 2nd Lieutenant at the beginning of WWII who commanded a Platoon which landed on Omaha Beach in 'Wave 6' on D-Day. A fact he only revealed to me 1 year before his death when I was 46 years old. But I digress, back to the 1957 Jag; when we were stationed in Anchorage Alaska Dad was so disgusted with his Jaguar Sedan that he told me if I could get it running again I could have it to drive to High School in. I was 15 1/2 years old and could drive legally on Military bases only where I drove it to Elmendorf, AFB checked out some tools and a lift and removed the faulty generator and found a wire which had thrown solder had come loose from the commutator. I got lucky by repairing it and it was charging the battery once again. A positive first experience fixing cars that remained with me for the rest of my life; along with being bitten by a love for British Sports Cars.

I later owned a Triumph GT6 through out my time in College, and before graduating after I was married bought a 1971 XKE Series II Roadster, I was the second owner. Years after my divorce while still living in California, I bought a 2003 Aston Martin DB7 Vantage Volante with 19K on it clock. I later sold the XKE something I have lived to regret. However, true to form the DB7 was determined to renew my mechanical skills, as it had a nasty problem of 'CEL' issues always posting a P1132 DTC code showing a lean condition on one bank of 6 cylinders. So far I installed 2 new fuel pumps, 2 new fuel filters, upgraded to Iridium spark plugs, 2 front coil springs, replaced leaking cam cover gaskets, cleaned and balanced 12 fuel injectors (sent out to a service), fixed broken door handles, fixed a leaking Power Steering system, refurbished the vacuum lines where I found 4 vacuum leaks, 2 in the VMV (Vapour Management Valve) system and 2 leaks in the PCV system bringing the vacuum from 19 PSI to 22 PSI, and now it finally runs great!! And yes it is truly an example of a 'Grand Touring' vehicle, quite different from my 2009 F430 Spider Manual Transmission vehicle. My 2003 DB7 also has a Manual 6 speed Transmission in it as well, something I'm partial to.

I must admit I feel foolish thinking it referred 'Gated Transmission' but it seemed so reasonable, but now that I have the license plates I can't change it. LOL!! While watching this video on Jay Leno's Garage:

The owner explained why Ferrari went to the 'Gated Transmissions.' He said it's purpose was to stop the accidental bending of the forks in the transmission; to provide a stopping point as a preventative measure.

The 2009 Ferrari F430 6 speed manual transmission vehicle I bought only had 3,927K on it's clock and was like brand new. So far I've had very few things go wrong. Recently a loose connection on the PDF #13, and PDF #14 fuses causing an intermittent 'Engine Immobilizer' issue which stranded me, necessitating a flatbed tow truck to haul it to a local dealer.

But here's something you might be able to answer: Recently while driving it to a 'Ferrari Owners Drive In' at the Peterson Museum I noticed the 'Suspension Warning Symbol' popping up that eventually went away on its own. However, simultaneously, I noticed a small red delta symbol appearing in the small window which is mainly used for F1 vehicles to shift gears where on the Manual Transmission vehicles there appears only a '0' symbol, which in the picture I posted it shows as a 'N'. That small red delta symbol would flash on and off and then would stay on for a short period of time. It appeared in the upper left hand corner of this window. At first I thought it might be indicating where there was a problem with the suspension system, perhaps indicating it had a problem with the left front wheel suspension? But I'm really not sure because it continued even after the 'Suspension Warning Symbol' went away. I have not as of yet connected a scanning tool to my vehicle to see if any DTC codes are showing but I intend to. So do you happen to know what this might be indicating for a Manual Transmission vehicle? It appeared in the box which shows an 'N' in it. Note the attachments.

While at the Peterson I got to see Bruce Myers 1957 Ferrari 625/250 TRC a truly iconic vehicle:

https://autoweek.com/article/car-life/road-bruce-meyers-ferrari-250-trc-testa-rossa

BTW, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading about all the detailed modifications you've made to your vehicle, well done indeed!

Thanks,

John Edwards aka johnfe
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    As mentioned there are definitely 2009 MY 430s with manual gearboxes.

My 07 coupe has the GT letters on the bag. Didn't know it referred to the seat style, but knew for sure it didn't mean Gated Transmission...considering I have an F1

Learned something new.

f355spider likes this.
  21. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I don't believe Occam's Razor applied here, because only you felt that is was logical that the tag on your car cover meant "gated transmission". There is no other documentation from Ferrari anywhere else that supported your logic. You wanted it to be so, thus you convinced yourself it was, and you came up with your own clever nomenclature that you knew you were going to have to defend and explain.

22. johnfe

johnfe Karting

Dec 22, 2016
    SoCal Usa
    Full Name:
    John F Edwards
    f355spider:

I extend my most humble apologies, I'm seeing I'm completely wrong on this one. Now I feel like an idiot over my License Plate. However having admitted that can you possibly tell me what a flashing red delta symbol means when it is flashing on and off and then staying on in the boxed used for the F1 vehicles which indicates what gear the vehicle is in? I had this appear in the upper left hand corner of that box in which on a manual transmission there is a '0' that appears in that box. I have attached a screenshot of the box which I'm speaking of. I also mentioned this in post #19 on this topic.

Thanks,

johnfe
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. johnfe

johnfe Karting

Dec 22, 2016
    SoCal Usa
    Full Name:
    John F Edwards
    HH11:

Well that clinches it it's obvious then that the GT means something other than Gated Transmission, I think anyone here might see how easy it was for me to jump to that conclusion. It just proves I still have a lot to learn about my 2009 Ferrari F430 Spider. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Regards,

johnfe

24. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Wow, no idea on that one my friend. The gauge clusters are known to occasionally act up for some. Is the car running normally otherwise? I see your post above now, and most common scanning tools will only pick up emission related codes. Worth a try, but if there is something up, you will need the factory tool, or facsimile like the Leondardo, or the Chinese bootleg copy of the Leonardo.

25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sounds like it thinks the emergency flasher is on.