2012 Ferrari FF Camera Questions/Issue | FerrariChat

2012 Ferrari FF Camera Questions/Issue

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Itzkirb, Feb 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Itzkirb

Itzkirb F1 Veteran

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Kirby
    The front and rear camera on my 2012 FF sometimes does not function.

Car is always on a battery tender and when I reverse out of my garage it works fine.
    The problem come after driving in for a bit. When I try to reverse into space I get a black screen with the colored guidelines. When I try to press the button for the front camera I get a blank screen.

It will "Sometimes" start working again if I stop and start the car immediately.
    It WILL start working again after I let the car sit (like if I went and grabbed lunch).

Any idea what this could be? I thought battery, but it's always on a tender and it happens after driving.

Thanks
    -Kirby

2. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Needs a software update would be my guess. Acts like the camera hardware and display not quite in sync. Power downs of the car clear it out well enough to let it come back.

SV

3. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    It looks like the cameras are not receiving power after you drive for a while. In most cars, the cameras are only powered on when needed. In your case, it could be that either the transistor or relay that controls the power feed to the cameras is not working when heated up. It makes me think it's more likely to be a relay as they can get sticky after a while, especially at temperature.
    as SVCalifornia said, it could also just be a software gimmick.

4. Itzkirb

Itzkirb F1 Veteran

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Kirby
    Was told it's a broken harness cable to the camera ECU. Dealer said instead of having to buy an expensive harness cable they have a fix for it (they've seen this before). $2200 fix seems pricey, but I guess it's my welcome into Ferrari ownership? I never spent this much on the bull.

5. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    At $2200, I wonder if buying the harness cable is actually more cost effective. Did they tell you how much is the harness cable?

6. Itzkirb

Itzkirb F1 Veteran

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Kirby
    They just said it's A LOT more. It's part of a larger harness.

7. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Just curious if you took the fix your dealer offered and if so, if you don't mind telling me who your contact is? My recently acquired '13 F12 is behaving similarly, about 50% of the time I get the colored grid lines and no camera view. I mentioned it when I had the car in for some other work and it seemed a problem Scottsdale Ferrari was unfamiliar with.

8. Itzkirb

Itzkirb F1 Veteran

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Kirby
    This was back in 2018 and Ferrari of San Francisco did the repairs. They said it was sometimes common for the camera wiring harness under the drivers seat to rub against a bracket. That was causing the camera to turn on and off.

BruceC likes this.
  9. Fouadr

Fouadr Rookie

Sep 23, 2021
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Fouad
    HI Bruce, did you manage to find out what was the issue

10. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Yes - great advice on FC. An older post mentioned cleaning the contacts where the camera connects to the main harness near the back end. I asked my dealer to do this when the car was in for some other services - camera operation has been 100% ever since. I'm guessing they simply pulled the connection and sprayed contact cleaner on both plug ends, but of course, you never get to speak to the mechanic, so I could be wrong. Apparently, the theory is that surface oxidation builds up making the connection spotty.

11. Fouadr

Fouadr Rookie

Sep 23, 2021
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Fouad
    Many thanks will inform hr owen as they are struggling to know what to do

12. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Just to be clear, this approach worked well for me and while it may not be the answer for everyone, it's probably the least costly starting point. Good luck!