2016 - Cali T - Exhaust Valves Opening Randomly at Low Revs? | FerrariChat

2016 - Cali T - Exhaust Valves Opening Randomly at Low Revs?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by cinders, Jun 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cinders

cinders Karting

May 11, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Cindereoony
    Hi Guys,

Sorry, it's me again... Had my Cali for about 3 weeks now and one thing I've noticed about is a very loud exhaust note sometimes happening at low revs, it seems to happen randomly and it doesn't sound good - like a loud farting/burbling sound that's quite surprising when it happens as the exhaust note sounds great and then suddenly a loud blast and then it goes back to normal.

After reading here on the forums - it seems it's the valves are meant to open when the car is over 3,000rpm? It seems like mine is opening randomly at less than that, maybe between 1,500-2,000 rpm randomly.

Could this be a vacuum leak or something?

I guess I'll have to have Ferrari take a look at it.

TIA,
    C.

2. Phuntoosh

Phuntoosh Rookie

Apr 24, 2020
    Hi there. I have the same issue on the Portofino.

Apparently the valves do not automatically switch open at 3000 rpm etc. It is something the dealership explained as “load request”. This is dependent on various factors and can lead to valves opening at any rpm depending on the engine requirements.

3. cinders

cinders Karting

May 11, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Cindereoony
    Aha!... Got it. I'm going to fix this issue by unplugging the valves at the back and leaving them fully open. I also have an X-pipe to go on and will be fitting sports cats in the future. :)