2017 488 Spider - Steering Column rattles | FerrariChat

2017 488 Spider - Steering Column rattles

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Darren yetzer, Jul 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Darren yetzer

Darren yetzer Rookie

Jun 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Darren Yetzer
    Hi, I have a 2017 488 Spider with about 2K miles on it . When I drive it around 40/50 mph in 3rd or 4th gear, there is a fairly loud rattling noise coming from the steering column. It sounds like it is directly under the tach or even further back in the dash/firewall area. The interior is stock; no modifications or changes.

I took it to Ferrari of Seattle and they (the dealer) said that Ferrari will not cover the fix under any warranty. (side note - IMHO, i think it is odd that Ferrari won't address this because it is embarrassing, on behalf of Ferrari, to tell passengers that I have to pay to fix a rattle on such a new car). Ferrari of Seattle estimated it would take 8-10 hours to address.

Has anyone heard a similar rattle? Any suggestions? If so, can you share details so I can assess and share with Ferrari of Seattle?

Thank you!

2. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    I am not sure how the dealer can state that without knowing what the problem actually is.

If it is a known issue, then clearly its a production problem and should be covered. If it has to be investigated then you need the dealer to underwrite that only a "fair wear and tear" or "impact / abuse" issue would be chargeable.

I would push back and ask for why this is not covered in writing.

MANDALAY likes this.
  3. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Not fix under warrantee ?????? Seriously . Boy you have weak laws. Is it still under warrantee ? < 3 years old. They have to fix period. Stand up to them man

4. Darren yetzer

Darren yetzer Rookie

Jun 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Darren Yetzer
    Good, thanks for confirming my hunches. Appreciate the feedback.

5. Ruffinit

Ruffinit Rookie

Dec 15, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Shir
    That’s not very reassuring that Seattle Ferrari won’t cover that..I just bought a 488 from them..shld ship out this week...I wld definetly tell them to cover it as factory covers everything but wear/tear. It’s a nonnegotiable request lol

MANDALAY likes this.
  6. OldDog

OldDog Karting

Nov 2, 2017
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    JJ
    Obviously, if all is as you say, the warranty should cover it. I would give the dealer a chance to explain the why of his decision and then escalate it to Ferrari NA if you can't get satisfaction. But I do wonder what it could possibly be in that location that would be dependent upon your gear selection. Or is it very intermittent and that happened to be the gear you were in when you heard it? Has the dealer been able to hear it when he road tested? If he can't hear it I can appreciate that he is hesitant to tear things apart when he does not know what to look for and may not know when he finds it.

For what it is worth (very little), my rattle (2019 Spider) was in the passenger seat, but it would not do it when anyone sat in it. It happened over several months and I would have gone to the dealer but I found it the day before my first service. If the seat belt on that side was not fully retracted it would rattle against the carbon fiber back of the seat. Dumb, but it stumped me for quite a while!

7. Darren yetzer

Darren yetzer Rookie

Jun 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Darren Yetzer
    Here is the reply from Ferrari Corp. Definitely makes me sad and bums me out being a long-time Ferrari lover:

Dear xxx

Thank you very much for your patience on this matter.

We apologize for having given you cause to express your regret about your recent service experience at your dealership and for your disappointment concerning the warranty matter.

After double-checking the situation internally with the dealer and the AfterSales Managers in charge, we inform you that based on the warranty coverage selected and purchased, your request for coverage cannot be accommodated.

This is the reason why the request was denied by the dealer based on the explanation already provided by him.

Based on the latest outcome shared with us, there is no possibility at the moment for revision in the final decision taken and we suggest you further contact the dealer for any the additional detail you will need.

We always remain available for any further clarification.

Thank you very much for your attention,

Best regards,

8. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    I ask them to fix it and, if it is not fair wear and tear or an impact/abuse issue, claim it should be fixed under warranty. Get them to photograph what the issue is and keep any faulty parts – they belong to you unless swapped under warranty.

Ferrari saying no does not change your rights under both the warranty (if it is still under) and the law. You have a reasonable expectation for components to last an appropriate amount of time/mileage and one would hope Ferrari designed the Steering column (assuming this is what it is) to last for more than 2K miles and 3 years.

At the end of the day it depends on how forceful you want to be and making sure you are in the right (serviced correctly, under warranty, no major impact damage like potholes, etc) and if it is a failed component. YMMV depending on applicable laws.

9. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Shoot, and a form letter to boot!

SV

10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Pathetic , is this car under 3 years old ?

11. Ruffinit

Ruffinit Rookie

Dec 15, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Shir
    Which warranty do you have? The power warranty or the new car bumper to bumper warranty? That makes a big difference