2018 BMW M5 with 600hp and awd | FerrariChat

2018 BMW M5 with 600hp and awd

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Robb, Aug 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #1 Robb, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I like that they put in a RWD mode. I think every car that has regular ground clearance and AWD should have a RWD mode... It's not like people are off-roading. It's a good way to appease both fans of RWD and AWD driving dynamics. If they manage to get the chassis right for both applications, of course...

3. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Missed opportunity.
    Looks exactly the same as old one, AWD is a good thing but 600HP make it only a "me too", with no advantage over competition from Audi or MB.
    Was hoping for another splash, blowing the competition out of the water, similarly to intro of E39 M5 in 1999.
    That car was instantly the King of the Hill.
    What is so special about this one?

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The E39 won't be topped by this imo. Although it's about the same weight as the E39 M5, it will still be larger overall. The E39 M5 is closer in size (especially wheelbase) to the F80 M3.

I wish they would keep the manual, but unfortunately not. :( That was at least a differentiating factor with the competition. I'm liking the Alpina cars more and more now over the M cars. At least the Alpinas have a distinctive look and amazing interior design with the performance to go along with it (205mph in the B7 for instance).

5. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    It won't be long before we'll see them in Vail, Colorado with some winter meats with snow plastered sides. Not everyone enjoys being trapped in a utility vehicle that wants AWD. Ground clearance looks a hair better than my 2008 5'er. Interesting to see what these do in the secondary market.

6. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    To be honest don't like the interior at all.

7. Joker

Joker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Who knows
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I lost all interest in the M5 back when they started playing engine sound through the sound system.

8. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Yeah, I agree that the artificial noise is total bull****.

Robb

9. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    For less money than what they are projecting, I'd go with an Audi S8 Plus all day long.

10. dRoger45

dRoger45 Rookie

Aug 17, 2017
    It is just disappointing to use the sound system as engine sound. We'll see what else M5 has to offer.

11. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Did that and after 23k miles never been happier with this choice for a DD.

12. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Good friend of mine here had a 2015 S8 and with a tune and exhaust mods it was at 700hp. Super impressive car with amazing abilities!