2018 F1 car reveals / leaks etc | Page 13 | FerrariChat

2018 F1 car reveals / leaks etc

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Jan 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Drivers meeting a few races in and that thing will be gone before the end of the season.

Finlander, Nembo1777 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  2. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Lets hope so.

Not only does it look silly, but seems hazardous as well.

3. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    At the very least it is a distraction for the drivers, who lets face it are doing 300KPH wheel to wheel just inches apart,this thing will just make their task even harder.

The thin radio antennas etc seem not to matter as they are so small etc.

Will taller drivers like the HULK have an even worse view with the eye line closer to the top of the Halo,not to mention the problem with driver weight ?

4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Also, what about the grid lights at the start of the race high up??? Unless they move or add grid lights on the side of the structure. Some drivers will react to the driver in front thereby having a slow reaction time when they go out.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Kinda like how I would have to look up at at stop light in my old MGB. You end up with your chin on the top of the steering wheel. :)

Here is what I do not understand.

Indycar is testing an all plastic front windshield. Why can't there be some kind of combination of the two? Clear plastic in front an the beam on the top? Why can't designers design their own bars as long as they surpass the tests?

Typical bureaucracy -- they think they know everything and won't let anyone else prove that they don't.

Ferrari 308 GTB and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  6. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    good point , i haven't seen anything about testing that ...they will need to make sure that the whole grid has a clear view of them .i would imagine it would be more difficult for the guys at the back?

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

I still want to know if they tested this with real drivers in real race situations in the rain, at night, and also with the sun in a low position as is the case in some races.

8. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    just one accident caused by the vision thing and it will hopefully be history ...what a disaster

Give the Thong back to the Grid Girls ..problem solved!:D

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Lets hope they don't run over a 4 foot tall, 60 lb Grid Kid standing in the wrong place.

Ferrari 308 GTB and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

When will they finally test in warm weather. Spain is not all that warm in winter at all.

11. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  12. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  13. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

Summer F1 Testing

Catalunya
    15th May - 10:00 AM
    16th May - 10:00 AM

Hungaroring
    31st July
    1st August

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    these cars all look the same, if it wasn't for the colour no one would tell ther Hass from the Mclaren apart...funny how the Haas as teh same side wings as the Ferrari...also funny that Alonso is now a sponsor to mac..with his garbage clothes Kimoa, lololo, he and Elton should join up forces and create a brand....i'm sure plenty of suckers would buy them, lololo

15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Now that all cars are revealed....My personal ranking on where I think they'll be.

1: Ferrari
    A clear evolution of last years car, which was a new concept. They should have addressed last years reliability issues. The car is very trick aerodynamically, and it's longer wheelbase (but I believe shorter than Merc's still) should bring some balance and extra downforce at tracks with long sweepers, yet still be nimble enough on tighter tracks. The oil burning now strictly regulated, they should be a lot closer in power to Mercedes, but they will still have a reliability advantage at least.

2: Mercedes
    Tough this. Maybe heart puts Ferrari ahead. Mercedes have evolved last years car, but not much...the rear suspension is clever and should give the car a wider operating range, something where last years car suffered. They kept their Limousine wheelbase. There doesn't appear to be a whole lot difference with last years car...Only a fool would underestimate them. Like Ferrari's F2004, which looked a lot like the 2003 but everything worked just perfect on that car. This could be the same....but lets hope not!

3: Red bull
    The real dark horse. Started earlier on the car than anyone, the best driver combo, an uprated Renault engine that Renault claims to be ''over 950bhp''...Mercedes has also claimed ''over 950bhp'' (the Press did say 1000bhp but no one from Mercedes did). We should be in for a proper 3 way championship with the information we've got.

4: Mclaren
    Their chassis/aero last year was good, but the Honda let it down significantly...even still Alonso and Stoffel managed to drag that car to places it didn't belong. With Renault power I expect them to be 4th placed team, and wouldn't rule out a win (may need some circumstances to fall well into their favour, however)

5: Force India
    Solid base car, 2 fantastic drivers. Not much to say really.

6: Renault
    Continue to improve now that they've dumped Palmer. Sainz a huge improvement. They've got clear aspirations but they'll be fighting Force India tooth and nail.

7: Haas
    Seem to continue their path of ''do whatever Ferrari did in the previous season and implement some of our own concepts so it's not a complete copy''. Not a bad path to be on really. But will never make them world champions....not that I expect that, either. A great way to keep learning more about F1 and steadily move up through the field as the seasons progress.

8: Alfa-Sauber
    Their car is unlikely to be near as good as Williams, but at least 1 of their drivers is head and shoulders above both Williams' drivers and I expect Leclerc to finish ahead of Stroll if not both.

9: Williams
    Their car looks great. Their driver line up less so. Can't say much about Sirotkin, but for sure he's not a thoroughbred. They needed someone for Stroll to be close to so it's less embarrassing, and Sirotkin met the FIA points requirements and wasn't going to be someone that would be much faster than Stroll. Williams back in their early 2010-2013 downfall. Wonder if they can come back this time...

10: Toro Rosso
    Doesn't matter what they build. Honda engine in the back, Gasly and Hartley I was not impressed by last year...granted they both got the job quite late and we likely didn't see enough, but I was unimpressed. And I followed Gasly's and Giovinazzi's battle in GP2 with great interest so was very happy to see him in F1.

stavura, Finlander and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Nive wrap up Bas...i hopr Renault can beat Mclaren....but if Force india does a stellar job it could be a 3 way fight with lots of great drivers....i just hope the cans haven't built a super car that would trash both Merc and Ferrari...

Bas likes this.
  17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
  18. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    agreed. love the color but it needs a title sponsor (still in the works IMO) to take up some space on that engine cover. Might see more in testing or in Melbourne. It's papaya orange and Mclaren listened to the fans. I can do away with the blue...meh.

Bas likes this.
  19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Finally some good news from the special people at FIA! From now on customer teams will need identical engines from manufacturer, and be allowed to use the same engine modes, including in qualifying! Only took them 4 years but here we are...

stavura, 375+, furoni and 4 others like this.
  20. nietoale1

nietoale1 Karting

Dec 28, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Alex Nieto
    375+ likes this.
  21. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    "EFFFFFFINNNNNGGG" AAAAAAAAA!!! bout freakin time.

Bas likes this.
  22. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    RWatters and DF1 like this.
  23. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    uau...so diferent...really surprised...But it's normal Alonso sits further back, he's already used to be behind others....

kes7u likes this.