2018 F1 car reveals / leaks etc | Page 14 | FerrariChat

2018 F1 car reveals / leaks etc

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Jan 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I’m not quite sure how momentum prevents injury...plus, in the last photo there is zero momentum left in the stationary cars. Moments before the photo was taken there would have been plenty...and a few degrees difference could have resulted in a serious injury as the laws of physics say that momentum must be transferred somewhere (the whole reason tire barriers and water tanks exist at circuits). A human body does not deal very well with a sudden transfer of momentum (the whole reason airbags exist in modern cars).

Momentum was not kind to Bianchi.

2. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    Aardy likes this.
  3. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Could well be a close battle 7-10 for constructors. A huge leap up for Sauber or leap down for Williams seems likely. Battles for 4-6 will challenge Force India to repeat in 4th. Always a chance for Adrian Newey to pull of a winner at Red Bull, but given last year, Ferrari should be battling for first with no reliability issues.

4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I have faith in Ferrari overall but not their management and structure. Mercedes has a better culture. The aero is probably even but I fear the new Mercedes motor......

jgonzalesm6, Bas and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Mclaren just became favourites for Monaco

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep Mercedes far more level headed (and almost no pressure, really).

Red Bull far ahead in management over Ferrari also.

375+ and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  7. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I don´t know the regulations....is there a maximum length of the car overall and so the cars have the identical length??? Or is the McLaren front spoiler simply longer and once again the McLaren was shrunk to match the Ferrari in overall length in the picture...Furthermore one can see that the McLaren was not photographed from exactly above but more from the front...That is why the front appears bigger than the rear...I would not put anything into this picture except the look where the spoilers are and how the sidepods compare!

8. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I miss Montezemolo . . .

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    What in the world was McLaren thinking?????

10. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    I miss Jean, Rory and Michael.

88porsche944 and Bas like this.
  11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Easier for Alonso to jump out mid race. :)

12. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    New McLaren appears to be a clear evolution of their 2017 car, which may not be a bad thing as the car was always so underpowered we really have no idea what kind of a performing it could have been with similar power. The aero concepts are detailed but Prod confirmed we will see something very different pretty soon. I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed with the sidepod intakes, nothing revolutionary there. Great livery though.

I agree with Bas re the order for the most part, but have to say I am most impressed by Red Bull with Merc and Ferrari taking a close second with their designs at face-value. Fear the new Mercedes motor though, I hear they changed a bunch of the mounting points and altered internal packaging. I wouldn't expect a big power bump from the new power unit, but a packaging advantage will yield other benefits.

Bas likes this.
  13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    You’re not kidding, This site has more mclaren ads now than Marchionne hate threads

14. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Judging by the different size of the same wheels seems the cameras were in different places to give the effect of such differene

albmln26 likes this.
  15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes. There is no way that is accurate.

From what we can see here, it looks like the Ferrari has the most "tricks" and aero gimmicks of all cars this year.

16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Honda must be thrilled:D. It should provide a boost to the Ferrari and Mercedes powered teams.

Bas likes this.
  17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Why is the American flag in Black and White on the Haas car? There has to be a reason behind this. Grojean's French flag is in color.

Hmmmm...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Printer ran out maybe?

Doesn't explain that some idiot put the sticker on the wrong way round though.

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    ACTUALLY, that is the official way the US flag is supposed to be placed.

The US flag is always supposed to face DOWNWIND. Look on the side of a US jetliner and you will see the same thing. The flag points downwind.

syata, Bas and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The boss won't be happy.

21. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Military? as in showing respect. Military apparel (special ops) have flags "downwind" that matches the pattern of said apparel hence this flag matches the HAAS livery.

22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The only time I've seen black and white US flags is when they want to hide the colors from enemies (such as on uniforms and vehicles). So I don't understand this unless its a tribute to US military forces.

23. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Flag faces forward on the left side, faces backward on the right as if the car was moving.

Could be black and white because it was the color scheme design or other artistic reasons.

US Army wears US flag like that on their right shoulder when deployed, sometimes in color, sometimes not for camouflage reasons.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  24. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    correct. In this case (HAAS), it matches their livery.....grey/white or cream.

25. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Exactly. It may be a tribute to US forces.