2019-2020 Lusso V12 Production | FerrariChat

2019-2020 Lusso V12 Production

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by deltona, Oct 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Assuming the Purosangue FUV starts production in 2021 and is V8 Hybrid Powered, do you think Lusso V12 production will continue until then?

I've already heard that the Lusso V12 will no longer be available at some point in 2019 for USA. Can anyone in the US confirm this?

If the same or similar were to happen in Europe/ROW it makes me wonder if they will offer a new variant of the Lusso to see it through the next couple of years. Possibly a LussoT with Four Wheel Drive?

Purely speculation on my part but any thoughts or comments welcome.

MDEL likes this.
  2. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I was told by my US dealer there is no Lusso production for the US in the first quarter of 2019. This includes the V8 version.

of2worlds likes this.
  3. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    seems most markets saying q1 2019 has no Lusso availability. Maybe an update due? V8 with FWD a good call .

deltona likes this.
  4. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    A 4WD Lusso T would make sense to me as:

1. Cheap to develop with existing tech.

2. it would open new markets who want the 4WD but cant have the V12 for tax/emissions reasons

3. It would reduce Ferrari's overall CO2 emissions

4. Would allow them to allocate the V12 production to the 812'VS' and Icona models.

Whether or not Lusso V12 production would terminate globally would be very interesting.....

KenU and of2worlds like this.
  5. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    MDEL, Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  6. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    My dealer in the UK did say a couple of months back not to delay if I was thinking of ordering a V12. Well, when I checked last week, he said they have no visibility on allocations, and his view is that the V12 will be phased out in 2019. The last time I was at the factory there were a lot of V8s being built on the old V12 line, so not altogether a surprise.

deltona and of2worlds like this.
  7. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    That's very interesting as my dealer says he is being kept waiting to find out his 2019 allocations in the UK too.

If that's the case looks like a 4WD Lusso T might be incoming.

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My guess, based on what Ferrari said during their capital market days, the FUV won't be seen until late 2021 and production for 2022.

My gut feeling says they will not continue the Lusso V12. As they move to greater volume, they will lose the looser emissions and consumption requirements they now enjoy. Thus, they need the fleet to become more efficient and produce lower emissions. The V12 is bad on both those scores. Thus, it makes sense to sell fewer V12s.

stavura, j09333, MDEL and 3 others like this.
  9. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Good point, and I wonder whether this is affecting the production rate of the 812. Every dealer says that they are only seeing a trickle. If all of this ends up being true, the (unassisted) V12 Ferrari could end up being a rare thing going forward - saved for a top-end production car plus the specials like Icona and hypercars.

10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Ferrari as a manufacturer with production under the 'ten thousand unit' build limit, they were treated differently when it came to some EU standards than a large volume car manufacturer. Has this changed?
    To introduce a new product, the Lusso with a V12 and then discontinue offering the V12 for no technical reason doesn't make sense. Perhaps they misjudged the V12 market and are trying to rebrand the Lusso as something more marketable. The V8 replacement is less expensive. The Ferrari shareholders will not be amused. :D
    Dropping the V12 model in North America first in the land of cheap gasoline is especially ironic as there was no mention of any EU V12 production availability change at that time.

MDEL likes this.
  11. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The report below refers to Ferrari sales during the first quarter of 2018 and it mentions that the V12 GTC4 Lusso has been selling strongly in the Americas. The report also specifies that in Europe sales growth was achieved with the good demand for the 488 and the 812 but there isn't any reference to the GTC4.
    According with the official European car sales statistics during 2018 until the end of August, 381 GTC4 where sold but unfortunately there isn't any information of how many where V12's. As a term of comparison the 812 sold 416 cars during the same period and that's a clear indication that the GTC4 sales figure was pretty reasonable.
    Why should Ferrari discontinue the GTC4 V12 which is known to be selling strongly in America and also presumably well in Europe and in other parts of the world ?

Americas: Shipments went up 4.4% from a year ago. In the U.S., Ferrari's largest single market, shipments rose a bit over 2% on demand for the 812 Superfast and continued strong sales of the 12-cylinder GTC4Lussoand 8-cylinder 488 series models, offset somewhat by the end of the 8-cylinder California T's model run.

Europe, Middle East, and Africa: Shipments to this region increased 6.7% from a year ago, as double-digit percentage sales growth in Europe was somewhat offset by tough market conditions in the Middle East. Good demand for the 488 and 812 Superfast models drove sales growth in the U.K. (up almost 11%), Italy (up 16%), France (up 10%), and Germany (up 4%).

China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan: An 18% year-over-year rise in sales in China helped drive a 13.7% gain for the overall region. Demand was brisk for the 488 and GTC4Lussomodels as well as the 812 Superfast.

Rest of Asia-Pacific: Sales in this region inched up 3.8% from a year ago, as demand for the 12-cylinder models was partially offsetby the phase out of the California T.

deltona, uhn2000 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
  13. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    It's just my theory. I doubt they misjudged the V12 market, but anything is possible.

MDEL, deltona and of2worlds like this.
  14. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    In the U.K. at Lusso T launch my dealer said each dealer was allocated a separate quota of V8 and V12 Lusso that had to be ordered.

That has apparently recently changed so dealers now get a total Lusso quota and can order any combination of the two models.

It will be very interesting to see what happens to demand of the V12 Lusso if they announce end of production. In the U.K. two year old Lusso V12s are holding value much better than FF did and I can’t imagine stopping V12 production would do values any harm at all.

of2worlds, Caeruleus11 and MDEL like this.
  15. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    According to the study below published last August in Germany Ferrari is years of light ahead of all other constructors in terms of operating profit per car manufactured. It doesn't matter what model Ferrari is selling operating profits are always stratospheric. In order to keep the brand exclusivity Ferrari must continuo providing models that differentiate themselves from anything "competitors" are offering and the GTC4 V12 is a good example.

"Ferrari makes 69 000 euros profit per car 07.08.2018"

"A study by the Duisburg economics professor Ferdinand Dudenhöffer shows. Ferrari made in the first half of each car sold proud 69 000 € operating profit - Jaguar Land Rover, however, only comes to 800 €, Tesla and Bentley put on every car on it, as Dudenhöffers on Tuesday published study shows. Mercedes, BMW and Audi are well in the race with average prices between 33,000 and 38,000 euros per car and a good 3,000 euros profit before interest and taxes. Volvo is according to study something behind it. Tesla earns 11,000 euros loss on every e-car sold. According to the paper, Porsche is twice as profitable as Mercedes, Audi and BMW and thus "in a different league": The Zuffenhausen SUV and sports car manufacturer earns 91,000 euros in revenue and almost 17,000 euros in profit per vehicle. The average Maserati is a bit cheaper, but does not even bring 5000 euros operating profit. By far, however, Ferrari deserves the most. Also thanks to the sponsorship business around the Formula 1, the Italians take with each sold Ferrari 280 000 € and make 69 000 € operating profit. "

16. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    It might also soften any further drop in FF prices. I can’t imagine a better DD with true cargo / people capacity for $140-150K? I have zero interest in any tall crossover or SUV but understand that I may be in the minority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

of2worlds, deltona and gh0st0 like this.
  17. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I made my theory when I thought the SUV was imminent. Now that we know its not, maybe they will continue the V12. As an aside, there are members here who were saying they were told the V12 car would be discontinued. I hope they never stop making the V12 and I hope they keep it NA.

The FF is a serious deal at today's prices. I really appreciate the improvements/ refinements of the GTC4 Lusso.

18. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    All good info, Ferrari is so dang smart and secretive .. anyhow I have a LussoT on order (Jan build) and hoping that at some point my 812 will get slotted in for the V12 fix. Crazy I know, but I will be the only customer at that dealership that has had an FF, CaliTHS, LussoV12, and LussoV8. Nobody is ever allowed to say I don't support the GT cars :)

19. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    I’m hoping for the drop in lusso prices then

20. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    So i have some news: Next years Lusso model changes will be:

1. Lane Change Assist
    2. Adaptive cruise control

Apparently that's all, no other changes, for Europe at least.

KenU likes this.