2019 Portofino Battery Tender | FerrariChat

2019 Portofino Battery Tender

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Stentplacer, Jun 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stentplacer

Stentplacer Rookie

Feb 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Rick Puleo
    2019 Portofino
    Where can I buy extra battery tender with the Portofino magnetic connection
    Additional unit for travel

2. DavidPutty

DavidPutty Karting

Jan 19, 2020
    Del Boca Vista
    Ctek Ferrari adapters are listed on ebay. I bought one from a guy in the UK and it is a prefect fit with my ctek 7002.

rob5819 likes this.
  3. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
  4. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Is the Ctek charger in any way "better" than the original Ferrari charger. I have had endless problems with my battery (Portofino) even though I put it on the charger regularly. Battery has been replaced twice by Ferrari and they have checked the charger of course.

5. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    The Ferrari provided tender is usually a lower end version from CTEK. My 458 Spider had a Ferrari tender that was basically a CTEK 4.3. I used to get errors and codes on startup. I switched to the 7002 and stopped getting any errors. I finally replaced the original factory battery in December after eight years. The car still started, but it was getting very sluggish.

The CTEK 7002 and MXS 5 are definitely an improvement over the lower end battery tenders. A helpful feature is that the lights on the device indicate what step the tender is on. This has been a great help with a couple of non Ferraris where the tender would show the battery failing at step 5, indicating the battery was not holding a charge.

STEP 1 DESULPHATION
    Detects sulphated batteries. Pulsing current and voltage, removes sulphate from the lead plates of the battery restoring the battery capacity.
    STEP 2 SOFT START
    Tests if the battery can accept charge. This step prevents that charging proceeds with a defect battery.
    STEP 3 BULK
    Charging with maximum current until approximately 80% battery capacity.
    STEP 4 ABSORPTION
    Charging with declining current to maximize up to 100% battery capacity.
    STEP 5 ANALYSE
    Tests if the battery can hold charge. Batteries that can not hold charge may need to be replaced.
    STEP 6 RECOND
    Choose the Recond program to add the Recond step to the charging process. During the Recond step voltage increases to create controlled gassing in the battery. Gasing mixes the battery acid and gives back energy to the battery.
    STEP 7 FLOAT
    Maintaining the battery voltage at maximum level by providing a constant voltage charge.
    STEP 8 PULSE
    Maintaining the battery at 95–100% capacity. The charger monitors the battery voltage and gives a pulse when necessary to keep the battery fully charged

https://www.ctek.com/storage/28170E5A4DF8DDE255F2544A55F5C421179A3398C557729443D3E9C908F0382E/d4c71f1fcf354b37bdfb3841d00adafd/pdf/media/01d8e64db81c4259bda89213323dad93/MXS_5.0-manual-low-UK-EN.pdf

6. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Thank you very much for your detailed reply. Really appreciate it.
    My car will be serviced next week and I shall talk to the dealer about it too. Funnily enough, the battery seems to have a problem only when i drive long distances, which would suggest it is not charging properly. Of course the dealer swears everything is now fine, even though I had to replace TWO batteries last year within a period of two months. :rolleyes:. Keeping my fingers crossed as I will be driving over 1000 kilometres over three days from next week and will not be able to put the car on a charger as we will be staying in hotels.
    Will also check with the dealer whether he knows of a battery diagnostic kit. May be useful to take, although i am a bit wary of attaching anything to the battery itself. Prefer to just use the connection at the rear but do not know whether there is any diagnostic kit that will work with the rear connector.
    Incidentally, your link does not work but I have consulted the CTEK site directly.
    Thank you.

sd dave likes this.
  7. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    You could check to see if this will help: Antigravity Battery Tracker Bluetooth Monitor System BTR-2 for 12V Lead/Acid Vehicle Batteries, Test Voltage Cranking Charging

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NSTQCM8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think you can get real time and historical info from your battery sent to your phone.

8. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
  9. honda corse

honda corse Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2011
    Vancouver & Whistler
    Full Name:
    mark buchmann
    For peace of mind I carry a Noco power pack with me in the event I need to boost one of my cars. My Porto doesn’t seem to hold much of a charge, 2 weeks off a battery tender and it won’t start.

rob5819 likes this.