2019 predictions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2019 predictions

Discussion in 'F1' started by WPOZZZ, Nov 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    #26 tifoso2728, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    No predictions, just intrigue. The burning questions will be how well Ferrari gels with it's new young protege and the Red Bull Honda hookup.

We know enough over time that it's the car more than the driver. So, the prospect of both Honda and the genius of Adrian Newey creating something special is fascinating.

Don't get me wrong, I am still tifoso and all that that implies. I just want to see Mercedes moved down not just one notch, but two.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Obviously the Red Bull clan (Horner, Mateschitz and Marko) will try to justify their choice by claiming that Honda has made huge progress.
    They even ridiculed Renault, saying Honda has clearly overtaken them.

Yet, after the last Brazilian GP, Pierre Gasly (Toro Rosso-Honda engine) claimed that during the race, Estéban Ocon was going 15mph faster than him on the straights with his Mercedes-powered Force India. A difference in speed that some have calculated to be a 60hp deficit.

So, there is no proof yet that Honda is at the same level as Ferrari and Mercedes.
    It would be interesting for the sport if Red Bull had the same power as its 2 rivals.

DF1 likes this.
  3. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    william likes this.
  4. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
  5. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    What's the over/under on F1 chat bans? lol

ATBNM3 and DF1 like this.
  6. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

8. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    DF1, LVP488 and william like this.
  9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The comparison with Moto GP is really crual for F1 indeed...

william likes this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Obviously Liberty is trying to make hay whilst the sun shines.

They want to obtain growth by multiplying the events, but there will be "inflation" in the end, IMO.

The problem with F1 is that the show isn't convincing anymore, leading to audience exodus.

The product itself is becoming obsolete; a world series run with open-Wheel hybrid cars Under archaic traditions.

The recipe is full of contraditions, expensive, unattractive and difficult to understand.

But Liberty cannot dictate a new formula, and there is a tug-of-war between manufacturers and the FIA regarding the definition.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

In all fairness, I think motorcycle racing is easier to regulate.

But it's true that MotoGP seems to have played its cards right.

12. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    HAM
    VET
    VER
    LEC
    BOT

13. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    No prediction from me But I hope the order is upset somehow

14. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Mark my worlds: Perez car will be SABOTAGED in 2019. :oops:

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    william likes this.
  16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You may be right there.

Bottas seems to have slowed down since Mercedes renewed his contract!

I cannot see him driving for Mercedes beyond 2019.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Force India would be committing suicide if they do that.

Perez will be the only one bringing points to the team probably.

18. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The big question will be whether Ferrari will try to keep Vettel the #1 driver, or will they let Leclerc shine?

I've noticed a couple races where Vettel-Ferrari didn't compare well against Leclerc-Sauber.
    When it's Vettel vs Leclerc with both in Ferraris, it'll come down to team support.
    I don't think Ferrari would be able to let them both "go for it". They've lost those scripts.

19. DF1

Vettel is now simply a driver. Just ask the team management on the pitwall lol. We have been told in public via the press that Charles is supposed to spend next year 'learning' from Papa Vettel. That will only last for so long until Charles potentially does what Ricci did to Vettel - simply out performs him. At that point the driver doing best gets the most support. Vettel has been been put on notice without question.

The team is saying all the right things to him publicly about they support him etc, but after this year's meltdown and the team saying Vettel made more mistakes that they did, do the math. If Vettel does not start off strong and shows weakness and Charles begins to gain results and outpaces Vettel - well its been years for Vettel now, years. He has had his chance and did not make the most of it so far at all.

Here is the difference between FA with a slower Ferrari and Vettel in a fast title winning capable car -> FA put them in a position to win with a slower car. Vettel ensured they did not win with a faster capable car. Yes Vettel has 4 titles and 4 times less capability overall as well.

I think its a distinct possibility Vettel has 1 or 2 more years at most in F1. I do not see him going anywhere else if Charles pulls a 'Ricci' on him lol

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  20. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    It's not just a matter of driver. Support in the garage and on the pit wall also makes a difference.

RB, and to a lesser extent Mercedes, have figured out how to support two leading drivers.
    Although Merc doesn't hesitate to sacrifice Bottle's race to have him serve as a rolling block.
    (RB might have tried that -- but Max doesn't follow team orders. ;))

Ferrari hasn't let both drivers go for the win since '07 with Kimi and Massa -- and the team/pits botched a lot of races.
    They tend to put their focus on one "package" at a time, and the other driver is left with table scraps.
    It was even worse in the Shumi era: the #2 driver was the "test mule" for Schumi.
    (Remember that one wet race where Massa was on the wrong tires the entire race -- so Schumi would know when to switch tires?)
    (And people point to that race to claim Massa "can't drive in the wet".)

Leclerc may be competing with Vettel's leavings.

21. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    My prediction: Vettel and LeClerc will drive the 488 Pista in F1 and tie for world drivers championship 4 races before the end of the season.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  22. DF1

#48 DF1, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    You get ''support' when you provide results. Ricci made Vettel look less than 'stellar'. Vettel has done a good job showing that the last 2 years. He has been fully exposed as more than less than complete. He still lacks emotional control today lol. It could not be more apparent after Baku bashing LH and losing more than 1 race this year to poor tactical choices. Its not at all about the pitwall. Not this year and again Arrive made that clear as to who made the most mistakes and costly.

23. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Ferrari won’t win jack unless they sort their strategy out. The end. If that’s resolved, then I think the vet / Le clerc driver pair is miles better than Ham / Bot, so a wcc is possible. The wdc won’t go to ferrari because vet and Le clerc will take points off each other all season thereby gifting Ham wdc 6.

Redbull, full of optimism at the start of testing, will self destruct after lunching a ton of Honda metal before race 1. Max will spit out his toys in a big way and try to leave, but no one will have him as he’s basically a PR disaster and hasn’t grown up yet.

McLaren will surprise everyone and replace redbull as number 3 team - but only due to better reliability. Or perhaps not...

Everybody else - who cares. They just make up the numbers.

Formala 1.5 will continue to exist.

daytona355 likes this.