2021 US GP - wondering if it will happen. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2021 US GP - wondering if it will happen.

Discussion in 'F1' started by spirot, Aug 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    :eek:

That definitely fits the charges levied....

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    it was in this thread, but mods of course did a clean up before.

ricksb likes this.
  3. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I initially thought you had been heavy handed with your 3 day ban last week, but I kept my mouth shut. I figured I didn't have the full story and surprise surprise I didn't. Also this thread has been an entertaining read. Thanks :D

ricksb likes this.
  4. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Spirot - I sent this via PM but was thinking the same thing as Rob. :)

5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Other than saying I thought that was a response to a private message, I'm not responding to this post.

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin American Statement today::

"Central Texas hospitals on Monday saw the most people on ventilators and in the intensive care unit for COVID-19 since the pandemic began — 213 patients in the ICU and 134 on ventilators in the Austin metropolitan area. Last weekend, hospital beds in Central Texas' 11-county region reported having only one ICU bed available, and on Monday that number rose to nine."

Snipped from an article about an unvaxed patient who had multiple strokes and a collapsed lung from COVID.

7. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    #32 WPOZZZ, Aug 18, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    I think we will know within the next 2-3 weeks whether the USGP will be held. Covid is going bonkers, and in my state, our ICU beds are near capacity. Projections if everything were to remain status quo, Hawaii would see Covid peak in October.

Perhaps back to back GPs in Mexico? Maybe not. Mexico has 1/12 the cases as the US, but a much higher death count, 40% of the US death count.

8. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Austin Mayor expects USGP go-ahead this week, open to second race

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The Mayor of Austin believes the United States Grand Prix is likely to get the go-ahead this week and is not ruling out a second race at Circuit of the Americas despite the COVID-19 situation.

Cases have been rising in both Texas and the United States recently, cooling the prospect of a doubleheader in Austin following the cancellation of the Japanese Grand Prix. With a case rate as one of the highest for the remaining races on the Formula 1 calendar, there’s been some speculation about whether the race itself will proceed as planned, but Austin Mayor Steve Adler is confident the green light will be given soon.

“I think right now we’re set to go and I’m excited about that,” Adler told Speed City Broadcasting. “The Austin Public Health Authority is working with the modelers at the University of Texas and if that changes we’ll certainly know, but I know that the priority is to figure out how it is we run big events like this in a way that is safe.

“I think the Delta virus is going to be with us for a while. It’s not an option to close back up cities in the way they had closed in the past. Communities are going to have to learn how to deal with this kind of virus and deal with it in a safe way, because it’s something I think we’re going to have to sustain.

“There was just a concert event out at COTA here recently and some of these precautions and mitigation efforts were taken – I guess at the request of the artist out there – and we were real appreciative of that. I think that’s the kind of thing that we’re going to see more or more of.”

Pushed on when a final call on the race could come, Adler believes it will be in the coming days in order to allow as much certainty as possible for race-goers and associated businesses.

“I think it could be as early as this week,” he said. “It think it is probably likely we will hear from the Health Authority this week, if not certainly by next week. This is something that is being well thought-out as you might imagine, there are lots of people interested in this from lots of different kinds of perspectives. With the event coming up we recognize the need to be definitive and act with speed.

“That said, I can tell you where we are right now and where the rules are right now and what we are trying to solve for. So let’s wait, hopefully we’ll hear official word this week.”

Image Unavailable, Please Login

And while a second race at COTA is looking less likely due to F1’s need to replace the Japanese Grand Prix with an event on the same date to negate travel restrictions back to the UK from Turkey – the race before the Japan slot – Adler would still like to see it happen.

“To me, I was one of the early season ticket holders here so it’s certainly something that as personal interest it’s a great thing for our city,” he said. “So if the Health Authority comes back and says that this is consistent with what we’re doing to keep our community safe, I think it would be great to be able to see that.

“I saw what happened with Singapore and Australia kind of bookending our event here, and I’ve heard that’s a possibility and it would be an exciting prospect.”

https://racer.com/2021/08/24/austin-mayor-expects-usgp-go-ahead-this-week-open-to-second-race/

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Well, the lack of comment from F-1 is what concerns me. the Mayor is going to say yes, lets do it... he needs to keep business coming... but I still think the EU rules will preclude F-1 coming & F-1's own bubble restrictions - either make it with out fans or a max cap on fans... regardless I'm out.... not worth all the hassle etc. air tickets, and hotels non refundable etc...

10. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I was with a COTA person today and the track is moving full speed ahead at the moment. A German village, new bridge to the infield. No signs of cancellation on their part and I’m sure they have been in touch with local authorities.

I didn’t read any of the previous comments but it was also mentioned that there will be no second race.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

375+ likes this.
  11. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    For what it’s worth the US Open is a Go for this week here in New York City. Attendees must show proof of vaccination. I don’t see any reason why the US GP would be cancelled unless quarantine issues pop up for the teams upon their return to home

davem likes this.
  12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'll buy it..

Bottom line don't believe the media.

Texas will build hospitals in the Parking lot...do you SEE any??

No, thought not.

As stated Covid is covid, our vax numbers ar elow, and mybe will improve.
    Or dead people will improve my commute by sleepin gthe Dirt Nap.

Gonna be a race bro....

13. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually not worried about the Covid at Cota. Just absolutely hate flying with a mask on. Since the mask has to come out the moment you enter an airport, it means you're in misery for about 6 hours. Just won't do that.

I'll check about the ticket. I don't have it yet. Supposed to arrive ahead of time. That said, it is only for Friday. Dunno whether that's still of interest, but I'd give it to you at a discount anyhow. Just happy somebody can use it.

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Oh yes.......always glad to pick up a spare!

You gonna have to overnight it quickly once you have it in hand, to reach me back in Texas.
    Might be easier to call COTA and just put it in Will Call for me under my name at this point, save them the mail $$$

Because of my service to COTA I know the ropes on all of that, Replacement of lost ones and so forth.
    As noted once the County Health green lights that first race the Mayor of Ausin may dangle the second race weekend to F1.

The Rolling Stones are playing there on 10/20!!!!
    Well, without Charlie Watts, RIP

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I can well understand the confusion as we have a Trump Governor issuing edicts from his wheelchair, the Mayor of Austin is busy giving out FREE healthcare to thousands of homeless beggars and campers and mentally ill, but the actual power is the Travis County Health Department.

COTA is now within Austin jurisdictional territory but when built is was in a town named Elroy!!

When I crashed on FM812 it was Austin Fire that racked me up...in the Amber Lamps.

16. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If there are no ICU beds in Austin available to F1 driver injuries, the race will not go on.

17. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Good point that there needs to be a trauma center that can accept patients close enough to the race.
    Reading a local article about the last-minute bat fest cancellation, it mentioned that the city didn't have the authority to shut down events at COTA.
    I think the county judge sure could, but there's not alot of appetite for that assuming the event is taking some precautions at all.
    What happens for MotoGP end of September should be a good indication. I'm proceeding as if the event will happen, but it's easy for me to say since I'm local.

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm thinking we could dump some 300# person out into the dumpster and make an ICU Bed......

If I was in the chopper I would say "F*&^(*&&^ it, Waco is no that far!!!"
    Temple has a Medical Center that dwarfs anything in Austin

j/k calm down, two months away is two months away.
    If you follow it daily as I do Houston is modeled to "peak" soon even with the deadly highly dangerous TWICE as bad, Delta Variant.....

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The Air Force base in San Antonio is also quite good with injuries involving fire and blown off body parts.......you could be there by the time the chopper circles St David's South more than twice....

20. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Doesn't the trauma center have to be within 20 minutes from the track?

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    really, you are having a conversation if there is an F1 accident, that there wouldn't be an ICU bed available?

22. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
  23. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    hey I got a thread ban for insinuating that spirot had a drinking problem :p

Thecadster likes this.
  24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ha, wasn't from me! ;)

GuyIncognito likes this.
  25. BigTex