2022 Brazilian GP: Post Race Analysis | FerrariChat

2022 Brazilian GP: Post Race Analysis

Discussion in 'F1' started by SS454, Nov 13, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    Today was a good example of why Brazil should be the final race of the season. A roller coaster race, tons of overtakes, and thrilling to watch.

Mercedes grab their first win of the season, and a 1-2 finish at that. It is remarkable, almost unbelievable how they have came from a 1.5 second a lap deficit to being the clear fastest car in a budget cap era. However they did it, anyone would want a team management that does what it takes to get results. George Russell, first win in Formula 1. Pretty much everyone felt it was only a matter of time. Looking back through his career, there was a question if he would somehow throw it away with silly mistake, or the team hosing him again. But, he drove a fabulous race and got the W. Lewis Hamilton, another strong drive and still holds onto the golden egg that has the best luck ever. How his car wasn't seriously damaged is beyond me. As for the incident. Seemed pretty clear that Max got alongside Lewis and earned the right to space in the corner. But as it has been said before many times, Lewis doesn't give space and caused the collision. If anyone deserved a penalty, it was Hamilton. Racing incident at best. LH, Driver of the day? Please. That was a popularity vote.

Ferrari should be pretty damn happy to walk away with 3rd and 4th. Their laughable decision making in the Sprint Race which screwed Charles, and a late season engine change for Sainz put them on the back foot from the start. Sainz looked pretty good pace wise. Unfortunately had a tear off go into his brake duct, which is something we have seen a couple times this season. A deserving podium for sure. Leclerc getting punted by Lando killed his race. Though the team didn't do much to help. Forced to pit, they threw on fresh Medium tires, and rather than going long, they short stint (lap 8 to lap 22) and put him back on the Softs with nearly 50 laps remaining. As for Leclerc pleading for the team to swap positions with Sainz. No way. Alonso was too close, and Sainz deserved the podium.

Alpine had a marvelous day. They ate a self imploding grenade in the Sprint Race, but both drivers really came through on Sunday. Alonso is still a beast when he has a car he likes. Sure he got very fortunate with the Safety Car timing, but he wanted that final set of new soft tires no matter what. Ocon was 100% correct in wanting to battle Vettel before letting Alonso through. He did his job perfectly. Huge day considering McLaren double DNF'd.

Red Bull strangely did not have the pace this weekend. Is it Red Bull that missed the mark, or is Mercedes just that much better now? We get one last race to find out. Verstappen got the middle finger from the Stewards by getting a 5 second penalty, after already having race destroying damage that forced a pitstop. Seemed to stall out until the SC came out. Huge respect lost to Verstappen for not letting Perez back through. He may have legitimate reasons for doing what he did, but what does he gain? Nothing. Instead he disobeyed team orders, hurt his relationship with the team, his teammate, his fans, and anyone else that watches F1, just to prove a point. Perez shows that he is far from the level of the elite drivers. Despite RBR not being in top form, the car is still very competitive, but he got mopped and really didn't move forward at all.

Alfa Romeo was dreadful on Saturday, even in Friday qualifying, but the car came alive in the race. Both cars were fighting forwards, and Bottas eventually got a couple of points. Perhaps could have been more without the SC.

Aston Martin also looked quite competitive in Brazil, especially with Vettel. His race was going beautifully. The Safety Car killed his strategy and he got swallowed up on the restart. Shame as he deserved points for sure. Who beat him for the final point? Stroll. That's a tad bitter for the Vettel side, but the team deserved points.

Haas went from the ultra high to a big low. Magunesson taken out on lap one was a sad end to that feel good story. Schumacher was amazing in the Sprint race, and at times looked very strong today, but someone never seems to really get the results. There was a shot for points today, he just didn't deliver.

AlphaTauri have had a miserable season and they just didn't have a car to fight for points today. Gasly is probably all but checked out, but what on earth happened to Tsunoda? It looked like the FIA completely forget he was a lapped car. The message given was cars 23, and 6 could unlap themselves. If the FIA did miss this, it is hilarious that the people running F1 are dumber than the strategists at Ferrari. It's not like they didn't have time. That was the longest SC period ever for a car that just parked on the grass.

Williams. Well, they sucked. Albon finished ahead of Latifi, no surprise there.

McLaren had the worst day they could considering they are in a tight battle with Alpine. Lando made a mistake with no malicious intent. Looked like he touched the curb which sent him into Leclerc. Ricciardo was just a silly mistake, but a very costly one.

Driver of the Day: Fernando Alonso. Mid field car, started near the back, ends up fighting with Ferrari and Red Bull.

Hawkeye, E60 M5, JJ and 1 other person like this.
  2. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Good write up but Max himself admitted that he was fine with denying Hamilton a win and admitting to the crash. he knew he wasn't making that corner and he knew Lewis wasn't going to yield.

3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 agree with all of these points.

Bas likes this.
  4. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    I didn't hear Max take blame or admit to the crash. He said he knew Lewis wasn't going to give room and he wasn't willing to back out of it.

werewolf likes this.
  5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I still think Max lost a good occasion to win today, being too hasty in trying to pass his nemesis Hamilton.
    I feared that could happen, and it did ! No matter who's right and who's wrong, Max was the loser.
    I think the incident unbalanced him, and in a fit of pique, he later refused to help his team mate. Not cool at all ...

Mercedes sealed their comeback with a 1-2. An excellent weekend for them, and maybe a warning for 2023.
    Ferrari were never in contention for the win. The Alpine team almost self-destroyed.
    A bad weekend for McLaren, Alpha Tauri and Williams. A least Haas had a Pole !

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Lewis never gives space to an opponent when being overtaken--and he always gets away with it. Different rules for Lulu.

Bas, Hawkeye, JAM1 and 6 others like this.
  7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    A disappointing attitude, IMO, when you are a WDC.
    We know there is always a bit of "argy-bargy" between these 2, but why did Max try to settle the issue so early?

surfwolf likes this.
  8. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    "Max shaped missile fired at non existent gap" Quote of the day from another thread. Max's PR firm has been posting 12 stories a day on Facebook talking about what a great guy Max is and how a new Golden Boy is rewriting all the records for F1. After all those glowing reviews, Max turned off so many fans today by screwing his team mate in the drivers title. Max just can't help but show the world who he really is.

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

But he still get overtaken at times. It's a matter of being patient, wearing him out and taking the best opportunity.
    If that fails, there is a chance using pit stop strategy, etc ...
    But trying to pass at the first attempt someone who refuses to yield, is fraught with risks of contact.
    Then, the stewards may view it differently and penalise.
    Defending aggressively is part of racecraft today; it wasn't 30 years ago when the risks were greater.

10. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    He's a top bloke for a Dutchman :p

Bas and Mark(study) like this.
  11. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    You are correct :)

Max did not admit or accept any "blame". The crash was 100% Hamilton's fault, for not leaving enough room at apex for a driver alongside. He always drives this way, and he's always breaking the rules when he does.

JAM1, JJ and SS454 like this.
  12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Whatever. I won't judge what happened.
    But Max practically eliminated himself from the race by his move, knowing full well what would be the outcome.
    That's a costly way to make a point, IMO. He punished himself, where he could have won that race !!!
    That mentality of playing chicken isn't very wise for a driver with his talent.
    That bring him back to the Mad Max era we though he left behind a few years ago.

13. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Max isn't in a position where he needs to be intimated by another driver who always fails to drive according to the rules.

14. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Max got a five second penalty because the race stewards saw this as Max's signature move that he pulled so many times in past seasons. They wrote rules at the end of last season to stop "Mad Max" style driving. Max had been good this season because no one had a competitive car. Now the first time MB shows up with a faster car Max goes for his human torpedo move, and the stewards aren't going to play that game so they came down hard and fast on Max.

surfwolf likes this.
  15. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    I've got a couple post-race questions ... for anyone who might care to indulge me :)

First, Tsunoda was not given an opportunity to unlap today :( It was terribly unfair, and new rules were definitely broken. When can we expect Mercedes to surrender the points gained today?

Second, Hamilton was granted "honorary citizenship" in Brazil, for winning in 2021 and being a Senna fan (according to what i've read). When can George Russell expect his honorary citizenship?

:p:D:p

16. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    I think you are correct. I believe Max was 100% willing to DNF it meant proving a point that Lewis would cause a crash. He was right, and he paid the price. Meanwhile Lewis was hardly compromised. Is a bad thing that he isn't chasing stats and is willing to give up a possible win when it doesn't mean anything to his championship? I am not sure. Gives us fans and the media something to talk about I guess.

william and werewolf like this.
  17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    My opinion doesn't count, of course, but insisting on a risky move when you know the likely outcome isn't showing great thinking.
    Max and Hamilton have a past history, so rushing things wasn't very clever.
    Saying later that you would do the same again is bordering on foolish. It's certainly not worthy of a WDC.
    In any case, the stewards penalised Max, and not Hamilton. I had no dog in that fight, but I expected that.
    That we like the decision or not doesn't matter; in the end Max lost a good race.

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That bring us back to the Senna days, I guess. I thought drivers had learned from that.

19. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    I see your point ... really.

But we have one driver basically saying ... "Rules be damned. Everyone knows that i give zero room at apex for an alongside driver. No matter what, I will squeeze that apex like i'm the only driver on track. If you don't get out of my way, you will be hit."

What should other drivers' response, and driving style, be? Avoid any attempts to pass this driver on the inside, at any turn? Or, as Max has done, go for the pass now and then ... and let Hamilton force the collision?

JAM1 likes this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    What was Max' mistake, IMO, was rushing to pass Hamilton.
    Sure, Hamilton was going to frustrate any attempt, for a while at least, and make Max sweat for it, but then other parameters may have given Max better opportunities perhaps after a few laps. Also, it was just the beginning of the race, and each driver would have to pit a couple of times, so their positions may have changed anyway. Maybe tyre degradation for one or the other would have come into play.
    But it looked like Max was on a mission and wanted to settle the issue immediatly, at all cost, and this is what happened.
    I think it was just another Hamilton-Verstappen encounter, following from last year.

21. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    we may disagree, but that's a reasonable post william :) thank you

william likes this.
  22. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

He never left. Period. Proof today. He was penalized by this years rules that Max was responsible for via last year. I give him credit for a brilliant year in a brilliant car but lets not fool ourselves in thinking he has changed. He hasnt. Petulant, impatient lol. Thats his curse living in his 'talent'. Today he was just a schmuck who ruined his own race...........again lol. Thats not talent. Thats simply self destructive. His enablers lack the same class and grace he does. RedBull LOL. They are just the NetFlix rating dream team.

surfwolf, Mark(study) and william like this.
  23. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  24. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The wording “could have” vs “should have” is interesting considering the rules stating what space in the apex and when applicable (In order for a car being overtaken to be required to give sufficient room to an overtaking car, the overtaking car needs to have a significant portion of the car alongside the car being overtaken…). By rule LH “should have”, but the stewards’ application of the rule and lack of consistency is why we’re having this discussion.

werewolf likes this.
  25. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    TRANSLATION: No matter what the rules say, any contact with Hamilton will be the other driver's fault.

QUICK QUIZ: Verstappen was ahead just after Turn 1, while Hamilton was alongside. By Turn 2, however, Hamilton was ahead and Verstappen was alongside. So ... which driver was carrying "excess speed" into Turn 2?

FOLLOW-UP: Did Hamilton leave a car's width of space at Turn 2 apex ... or didn't he? The answer is simple, and not a matter of "could have", opinion or judgement.

absostone likes this.