'23 Escalade V or '19 Range Rover | FerrariChat

'23 Escalade V or '19 Range Rover

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Alcav5, Aug 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    While picking up an XT4 for my daughter at my local Caddy dealer in this past Jan. The salesman & I talked about fast cars ( I had my '18 AMG E63S wagon with me) and he told me about the up-coming Escalade V, due Oct '22. Knowing that I was getting bored w the Merc I figured by Oct I'd be ready to move on so I put a "first in line" deposit on the V.

But a few months later , with an itch and seeing my Merc's trade-in value pop to as much as I paid for it 2.5 yrs earlier I cut a good deal for a pre-owned '19 Range Rover , V8.
    And omg I love it. Comfy , cushy, commanding, bells & whistles, quality interior, sharp lines , great colors in & out, loaded , everything about it I like. In fact if I could afford I would order a new RR!

Just now I got a call from my Caddy salesman to give me an update & heads-up. Seems the dealer will be adding a market adjustment the V's MSRP (+$30k) . He didn't tell me what the MSRP would be. But he sent me a picture of the recent Barrett Jackson auction for one of the first sales it went for $500k. (I believe it was a charity auction)

Now what to do / what to think about in the next coming months?

Do I get rid of the RR and go for the V or pass & get my deposit back?

I've had an Esc (platinum) before and I liked it. Talk about commanding...
    A limited edition, cool factor through the roof.
    New car , longer warranty.
    RR has 40k miles, extended warranty <2 yrs left.

But

I don't really need a truck that big. I don't need to go fast anymore .
    Not all NYC garages will accept an Escalade.
    RR is classy, timeless , those English know how to do an interior , the new Esc interior pics look cheesy
    Lastly I don't need to shell out more money on cars esp. since my wife is due for one in fall .

Any opinions?

Thanks

2. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The dealership is charging you an extra 30k for something that will be discounted in the future. I'd walk away.

3. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Keep the Range. I’m on my third one (‘21 Sport ) and have had the full size and the Evogue. Have the new full size on order. If you like comfort, power, luxury, and off road agility, nothing compares.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Bullfighter, Davesvt2000 and Alcav5 like this.
  4. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Dealer can take his allocation and mark up and shove up his you know where.

Keep the RR and enjoy it.

and yes, first one went for $500k for charity, so this is not even a comparison.

5. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    As much as I loathe RR for their reliability, I’d keep it if you can’t get the Caddy at MSRP. If you could get the V at sticker, go for it. Not a Escalade fan, they serve there purpose like any other big SUV, but the V is cool. And if you don’t like it, trade it for another RR for more than you paid or at even.
    MSRP, caddy. Mark up, RR

Davesvt2000 and Alcav5 like this.
  6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Don't buy anything right now if you don't have too. Keep your current car for a bit longer..stuff is about to hit the fan..don't get caught in the cross fire.

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’d keep the Range Rover. They’re just much more elegant and capable IMHO. The Escalade is sort of played out, at this point. (They were always more impressive as a profit center and marketing win than as a truck…)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Davesvt2000, tritone and Alcav5 like this.
  8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    What’s the longer term maintenance cost between the two?

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Alcav5 likes this.
  10. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    At that price, in 4 or 5 years, you may lose about 50-60K. No way, walk! Not a great time for a buyer any way.....

Alcav5 likes this.
  11. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Reading your post it sounds like you have already made the decision to keep the RR. I would agree.

Paying over market for a vehicle you know will depreciate doesn’t make sense, especially since you have outlined what you already don’t like about it.

As an aside, RR has sales on new inventory right now, at least the RR in Oceanside CA does.

Alcav5 likes this.
  12. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I was swinging for the Escalade until you said they called you back with the ADM. That just irritates the hell out of me, so I'd pass just on that. If you have the means, at MSRP, I think it'd be fun.

Full disclosure, we own an Escalade, so I'm partial to them; however we also have unique circumstances for picking it over an RR.

Alcav5 likes this.